trackeditor topic 348

Posted by PSVwally 
trackeditor topic 348
Date: November 12, 2003 04:56AM
Posted by: PSVwally
I'm sorry to post it in a new topic, but perhaps it is easier to put all trackeditor questions in 1 topic (easy to find if you missed a week or so when you're on holiday)

But now on my question.

I see that Lo2k (laurent) is working on a lot of stuff, so i assume the trackeditor development is on a lower track now?
*btw i read a lot of stuff about road markings and a major monaco rebuilt*
I almost see no message from Madman related to the trackeditor project.

May i come to the conclusion that gp4 is no futher editable then the 3d environment, cars, but not to to edit the tracksettings itself?

I think a lot of people who really have no idea how to understand source codes or a lot of other difficult things, like me want to see a bit of an hint to be persuaded that it in fact is possible to edit tracks , but there is no program for people who do understand something of this to make a decent track and that that is a reason why there is no track editor yet.

i like gp4 a lot, but i must say it is a bit worring that some other f1games will pass this game, because the are more up-to-date trackwise (and not gamehandeling wise)

come baby, dance with me
Re: trackeditor topic 348
Date: November 12, 2003 06:59AM
Posted by: ZaZ
I have never spoken to Lo2k about the trackeditor, but i can imagine it can be very frustrating to do.
People want it tomorrow, and if that is not possible they want it now :-| (yeah where's the logic in that)
He is doing all this in his own free time, and it is a hobby.
He kinda 'promised' that there will be a trackeditor someday but it takes time.
ANYONE can contribute by helping him. It isn't difficult to test.
But I think most people only want to test a program when its useable, and they don't want to do the boring part.
And even IF he gets tired of it and doesn't want to continue someday, then i'm sure he will hand over the source to someone else to continue it (but i have faith he will pull this off)
I think you have no idea how many work is involved in building a trackeditor for gp4. If he has to do it alone it would take months at least.
Even mr Geoff needed a friggin' GPS satalite to record all the data, and its not easy to figure everything out by hand.
If you want him to develop faster, then start paying him a salary.
Or you could offer yourself to test for him.
I'm not flaming you but it kinda sticks me when people give up that easily.
If all people act like that then there would have been no editor at all for gp4.
Madman is doing enough 'behind the scene' so don't worry that gp4 gets abandoned or something.
And as history can teach you.. silence means good things very often.

ps.
If you don't mind I will skip this dance ;-)

Post Edited (11-12-03 14:08)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: November 12, 2003 09:24AM
Posted by: Guimengo
great answer *claps*
I can try helping on testing, but I'm no wiz on editing GP4.

Date: November 12, 2003 10:21AM
Posted by: shutt1e
well guimengo, if youre goot at testng, and everyone else who read, point your browser to the lo2k forum at realgpx and write down at least some ideas.
i think Lo needs more feedback and ideas about his project.

bye bye
Date: November 12, 2003 11:41AM
Posted by: Lo2k
All of this is perfectly right.
And mainly what Zaz told in his post.
I can't agree more.

People are waiting for a working Tool, but as i repeated and repeated we need to build it first ! There's no shortcut to this. So the only way is to do tests and tests, and that's what i did when nobody does it or when some clue is pointed to me with tracks.
I repeated it too : You don't need to be a genius to do test, you just need patience, make a backup of your .dat files and change values one after the other and test and test again. That's all.
Any report would help me if not to understand a value at least to point out what it could change (car behaviour, track reaction...).

3DEditor 5.6 is on it's way and as I just replyed Shutt1e, if it is not released yet, it's due to the fact I'm writing a documentation about 1-Using the tool and 2- Understand what each format is storing and what value edit what in GP4.
v5.6 won't be a revolution, but it brings many enhancement, as most of my updates do, and many have been added thanks to questions from Ricardo Lampert (who is maybe the only one to use 3DEditor more than once a week) and from PSWally too, coming from our long track pack thread discussion. Without forgotten b-tone who is also asking interesting question (yes, UVmapping can be changed in v5.6 but no i havn't any multi-selection for now to simplify it, sorry).

I know that many are frustrated with the state of the trackeditor developpement but be sure i'm the first one to see new F1C tracks every day and to say "when will i be able to bring new functions to make gp4 tracks more accurate and up-to-date to compete with those polished but unaccurate F1C tracks counterparts ?"

Well, some great progress have already been made and i hope development will continue this way.

Lo2k

PS: @Zaz, don't wait for me about cameditor per team external stwheel cause i can't work on it for now, sorry, I should have told it to you sooner.

PS(2): And yes, as Zaz said, I would really love if someone would have the kind idea to hire me to work on GP4 (or any other game), because my actual contract will stop (at best or at worst) at end of february and i'm currently searching for a new job and that's also a strong reason why 3DEditor is progressing more slowly those latest weeks, even if I don't speak about this...

Post Edited (11-12-03 19:14)

Date: November 12, 2003 12:16PM
Lo2K:

No problem at all man, I respect all of you guys. I know it's hard to find out all that stuff and programm by yourself. I use your editors (especially TeamEditor), and they are great. My favorite is WadUpdater2.9. If it wasn't for that, I would only have been able to install the "self install cars" and myabe 2 more :)
Sorry I can't give feedback like Ricardo, Tony, and others, since I know nothing!! I try to learn, but my PC is not powerful enough to run GP4 at a sweet level without massacring my PO. I'll give it a shot on the editor, but I just need to know where to find the ".dat" files to back them up. I'll give you feedback after I'm able to do stuff correctly and that change stuff on the game, but I might also give useless feedback (like info that you know).
But I'll try.

Date: November 12, 2003 12:17PM
Posted by: b-tone
it seems to me that everything is editable, but theres just the ctd problem.
so with 3d editor and maybe 3dsmax/zmodeler it would be possible to build bahrain or jerez. the only problem would be that it wouldnt work :|
small problem.
so if anyone has spare time they could start building the 200 odd tracks we most desperatley need, then when the final piece is found we'll have a wee headstart.

about the current object- many seem to be mapped only on one side, so they are invisible when viewed form behind - can this be changed with the new mapping function?

____
Tony

Date: November 12, 2003 01:27PM
@guimengo : Yep, i know what you mean, i also tried to work with 3DEditor on a small computer (Duron700, 96Mo Ram, TNT2MX64) and it's near impossible. 3DEditor works, even if loading times with tracks are quite long, but you can't test effects of your changes in GP4 cause you need to disable most of options and graphics to play at any descent frame rate.

About .dat files, they are all in the Circuits folder in your Grand prix 4 folder.

@b-tone: no, you can't apply different mapping on both sides, but you can enable 2-sides mapping (same texture but reversed) in material options and no need to wait v5.6 for this as the checkbox exists in current version.
Just beware : all objects using the same material will be 2-sided too as long as i havn't added an "add material" feature...i might add this tomorrow maybe. Thanks for reminding this to me ;)

Date: November 12, 2003 01:34PM
Posted by: ArexonsF1
Guys, you know it takes time. When Gp2 was released in 1996, did a track editor appear in 1997? Not as many of you think. Anyway, Lo2K have the right to do what he wants, and I appreciate his hard-work on helping the big gpx community. Best wishes (and job) Lo2K!

Formula One is not dead... It's just a bit tired =D But don't worry, 2005 will be great ;)
Date: November 12, 2003 01:48PM
Posted by: NS
yeah great work from all of you.. i'd like to help but i just haven't got the knowledge for it :(
Date: November 12, 2003 03:08PM
All he needs is time and patience from us!
He'll finish it someday, and it will be all nice :)
Then GP4 will be practically perfect! The longer it takes, the better it gets!!!

Date: November 13, 2003 11:22AM
@b-tone : Material add/delete feature has been added ;)

Date: November 13, 2003 11:48AM
Posted by: b-tone
excellent :)

are you on msn?

____
Tony

Date: November 14, 2003 02:42AM
Posted by: Timm
I too would love to help out in some way, but no nothing about changing values etc etc.

Maybe we could have an example, like the program to use, how to use it, what to look at, how to change a value then how to check any changes when values are changed as a quick guide.

After that, once we have some idea of what we're doing, us novices can chip in and help.

Lo2k - If i could pay you full time then I would, and I guess most of us here would agree with me. Maybe if, say, there were a large number of us and we contributed a fixed amount per month via some form of direct bank payment, then you possibly could do this full time.
I guess we'd need at least 100 people to do this though to make it viable

Date: November 14, 2003 07:21AM
Posted by: checha
count me on it!!! 99 left

Date: November 14, 2003 08:32AM
LOL !

I should add a banner on my site : "clik here to make me leaving and creating GP4 Track Editor" ;)

And the better for the end :
"Maybe we could have an example, like the program to use".
Hmm, just think 1 second (not 2) and guess what program you should use ;)

A small hint, the name of the program to use is hidden in the text below:

3DEditor3DEditor3DEditor3DEditor3DEditor3DEditor3DEditor3DEditor

;)

More seriously, i will reply you seriously in the evening as I'm not at home and need some documents (and need to stop laughting too).

friendly,

Lo2k

Post Edited (11-14-03 15:35)

Date: November 14, 2003 09:35AM
hahaha :)
Quality posts in here ;)

Date: November 14, 2003 10:04AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Im stil wondering why you wanna call your program "DEditor3"....

Date: November 14, 2003 10:10AM
Posted by: tux
whats this "editor" do? :-o

Date: November 14, 2003 01:31PM
Posted by: Ricardo Lampert
Come on guys !
Lo2k made a excellent tool for GP4 called '3DEditor' and he is working to make it much better. The 3DEditor 5.6 is on the way with more improvements comparing with previous version. Step by step he is coming up. All of us need to be patience and not give pression for him.
Everybody, including me, make improvements for this wonderfull game with love and passion and not for any money.
Thanks to Lo2k for his dedication and for his great editor. :)

RICARDO LAMPERT

RICARDO LAMPERT
Visit my blog at [ricardolampert.wordpress.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy