Performance vs Nice Cars?

Posted by -qwerty- 
Performance vs Nice Cars?
Date: November 17, 2003 08:59AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Afternoon gents,

At the moment, I'm using the original textures for the gp4 cars, just to get a good framerate, its good at 32, so I'm happy.

So I want the best looking cars, but as you know, with a GF4 MX440, it might not like it much. So I was wondering what the best cars are which have the least PO / fps hit?

Am I right in thinking that lod_0 does that? uses lest po etc? I have searched, but nothing which quite deals with this. I've picked up that as far as anyone knows, bojan's and wai's textures and shapes have less of a hit than Viper's/ Shroeder's?

Cheers guys

Chris

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Re: Performance vs Nice Cars?
Date: November 17, 2003 09:16AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak
LOD_0 has the highest PO hit because all of the carshape is there. lod_1 has less polygons. and then lod_2 has less still.

the way lods are used is, the further away the car from the current camera, the lower the lod, wich means less details have to be used, means less usage of CPU = more FPS :)

ALSO high res textures slow it down ALOT. try stay with 512x512, wich i think all cars nowdays come with :)

Post Edited (11-17-03 16:18)

Date: November 17, 2003 09:18AM
Posted by: ralphi
mmm.. whell.. all the cars From Viper and Bojan is a must... i don't really see your problem with that graphic card i have it and i get 25-30 fps... with full detail.. exept the advanced light thingy on..

Date: November 17, 2003 09:22AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

you could have a faster CPU ralphi :)

Date: November 17, 2003 09:30AM
hhmmm.. maybe .. but i doubt it..

Date: November 17, 2003 09:32AM
Posted by: jawwad01
i use major toms f1graphics.cfg and all the cars from viper and bojan and it works great

34 fps

Date: November 17, 2003 09:43AM
Posted by: Muks_C
Lod_0 is the highest detailed lod, and people with really top spec computers can set the graphics file up so it uses only LOD_0, so it uses the highest detailed lod even when the car is far away, but this takes a lot of performance.
Date: November 17, 2003 09:47AM
i did that with the jordan and Vipers Renault cuz they chaged alot when you looked far away..

Date: November 17, 2003 10:45AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Thanks for the responses guys! Okay, so I installed Vipers toyota, bar and Sauber (cos they're easiest to do) and now when I play gp4 I get stuttering engine sounds :( Any ideas?

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: November 17, 2003 11:35AM
whell.. i get that too.. but i had that problem always... but it's only for a min or so that it goes away.. and it comes like once a month..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy