tyre question

Posted by watercolours 
tyre question
Date: November 12, 2003 06:05AM
Posted by: watercolours
i have a question, not problem though. i installed the gp4. and then installed 9.6 patch and used decrypted gp4.exe.
i installed viper's f2003-ga, fw25, mp4-17d, r23b, c22, bar005, tf103, schroeder's ej13, r4, ps03. i'm telling this info in case it is needed to answer the question. then i installed Paul Robertson's 2003 order team art. then i installed viper's 3D rims v4 and George Verwoert's rain treads. and lastly gpxpatch 3.40 (now it's 3.51). then i intended to change the teams' tyre brands to 2003 order. but i saw that they have been already changed. since i don't pay attention to that i don't know at which step this has occurred. it's probably done by Paul Robertson's 2003 order team art but i'm not sure. do you know which of the above steps made this change.
and another question. i wanted to use original cars.wad. i pasted it and when i entered the game, the menus and the names were in 2003 order, the tyre treads were original as expected, but tyre brands were resetted to default values (mclaren with bridgestone). is this data stored in the cars.wad.
i found tyre brand info in the season 2003 performance file that comes with gpx patch (or does it comes with Paul Robertson's 2003 order team art). however, when i used the original cars.wad, the tyre brands resetted though i was still using the same 2003 performance file.
can anybody give info about that?

To Kimi... "You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. It was you who would bring balance to the Force, not leave it in Darkness"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
amd64 3200+ / msi diamond mainboard / 1024mb ddr400 / 128mb geforce 6600gt sli pci-e / samsung 160gb harddrive / asus dvd-rw double layer / asus cd-rw / coolermaster centurion 5 case / creative inspire 5.1 / microsoft wireless desktop set / lg 1780q tft
Re: tyre question
Date: November 12, 2003 06:34AM
Posted by: ZaZ
Viper's cars often install more files that only the cars themselves.
So that would be my guess.
The tyreinfo and wheelpositions are stored in the CAR_COLLISION_MESH.CT in the cars.wad, so thats why it was restored when you put back the original.
the only thing you can screw up installing teamart is the teamart itself.
They're just TGA-like pictures without a normal header.
If it gets corrupted somehow then gp4 will just show you a black picture.
The team/drivernames are stored in the gp4.exe and in the f1gstate.sav, and the performance is only stored in the exe file.
If you want the original names back you can delete the f1gstate.sav and then it creates it again. But remember... you will lose your game settings (like graphic configuration etc..).

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: November 12, 2003 08:56AM
i tweaked the 2003perf.txt (that has came with team art). i found there some infos about driver & team names and tyre brands for teams. i tweaked it and the changes on any name made effect both in the menus and in-game. and while using my 2003 cars.wad, i managed to change fantasy team's tyre to bridgestone by tweaking 2003perf.txt file. and when i used the original cars.wad and din't change anything on that file all the names appeared as in the file both in game and in menus. but though the tyre info during in game showed according to the perf file, the cars used their default ones.
so, if the tyres can be changed by tweaking performance files (and i did that), why they are restored to defaults? or if they are stored in the file you mentioned, how can they be changed by tweaking performance file? can both of them be true?

To Kimi... "You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. It was you who would bring balance to the Force, not leave it in Darkness"
amd64 3200+ / msi diamond mainboard / 1024mb ddr400 / 128mb geforce 6600gt sli pci-e / samsung 160gb harddrive / asus dvd-rw double layer / asus cd-rw / coolermaster centurion 5 case / creative inspire 5.1 / microsoft wireless desktop set / lg 1780q tft
Date: November 12, 2003 09:10AM
When you use a performance file in gpxpatch then it tweaks those settings in memory.
The physical files are not patched.
Even when you've patched those files with another editor it will override those values.
Its a really beatiful system, but somehow confusing for people who don't know what really does what.
It's more clear to users if files are only physically patched, but on the other hand.. its impossible to screw up anything with gpxpatch.
So if you want to experiment with those things -> use memory resident performance files, and when you figured out what should be final you can patch it if you like.
Go nuts on the performance files.. they can't do any harm :)

Date: November 13, 2003 02:34AM
you mean gpx patch doesn't change the physical files, but it some kinda redirects the game to its files. i know that. but that doesn't clear my confusion. you see. i never changed the file that store the tyre info physically. i only used the perf file. so it changed them as you told. but why didn' it change anything when original cars.wad is used. you see, both the original and my 2003 cars.wad had the same originla file about tyre brands info. and why does gpxpatch can tweak one while does nothing to another.

apart from this question. what does this mean? "So if you want to experiment with those things -> use memory resident performance files, and when you figured out what should be final you can patch it if you like."
Did you mean "Tweak the perf file, and when you get what you want, patch the original file." if so, how can we patch/change the files containing tyre info. they are not text based files.

Date: November 14, 2003 06:03AM
hmmm
yeah that's confusing :) i have no idea what could have caused that.
maybe ask rené that one. he's the one who wrote it.

and yeah thats what i meant. the sentence is a bit weird. i guess i was too tired to type.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy