mipmap

Posted by b-tone 
mipmap
Date: May 10, 2003 12:29AM
Posted by: b-tone
when does the game use the different mip levels?
and how can you force it to use level 1?
Re: mipmap
Date: May 10, 2003 01:02AM
Posted by: ViperF1
by modiying f1graphcis.cfg

F1GrandPrix.net - 1999 - 2003 Viper F1 Studio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will drive flat out all the time. I love racing." - Gilles Villeneuve
Date: May 10, 2003 10:19AM
Posted by: Madman271
There is also LOD settings exists in the exe file and can force graphic engine to use maximum lod and vice versa, where affect to mipmap.

Gr88ts,
Madman
Date: May 10, 2003 10:46AM
Posted by: Tigershark
As Far As I Know

Mipmap, is what in GP4Master is called Texture 0 -> 3, if you set it to 1 it will always use the 512x512 texture (or higher if you use hi-res textures) and it wont switch to lower-res when the car goes far...however..mipmap has nothing to do with the lod's

- Sander

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Date: May 10, 2003 11:20AM
Posted by: Madman271
The *.tex file in gp4 almost contains 4 different DDS format, which used for different detail levels. This is causing LOD and mipmap has close relationships in GP4.

if you set it to 1 it will always use the 512x512 texture (or higher if you use hi-res textures) and it wont switch to lower-res when the car goes far

This is contradictive with basic principal of DirectX engine. Every single texture on-loaded (non-DDS format with stock mipmaps), will be self-created as 9-level mipmaps to video memory. That's why we need bilinear/trilinear filtering to create smooth mipmap texture for different depth-buffer level (also commonly called z-buffer).

On GP4, LODs are has ranged 0 to 1 as default. And because most textures has 4 different detail detail, this range has splitted into 4 regions. If all of these regions are set to near zero, you'll get a lowest LOD setting and lowest texture quality (in Ferrari car, all body will shown just red color without ads and other things).

Gr88ts,
Madman
Date: May 19, 2003 04:14PM
Posted by: b-tone
i use 1024 sharp textures but ingame they are not sharp.
i can only assume its using one of the downsamples.
so how do i stop it doing that.

also: as some cars have the same lod.gp4 copied 5 times, is it possible to just use the one gp4 file. it would make the wad alot smaller but not sure if it would have any effect.

and: is it possible to have: _car3_lod_ for instance?

thanks

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy