GP4 Editors

Posted by SpeedyGonzo 
GP4 Editors
Date: May 28, 2003 02:17PM
Posted by: SpeedyGonzo
It seems that at the moment there's a lot of confusion (at least in my head) over what editor to use to perform particular tasks when patching GP4. It also seems that some editors will work with the patched (9.6) GP4 and some won't. I'd like to try and put together some kind of F.A.Q. for newbies like myself so I write down what I learn as I go along.

I've already learnt that you should back up your anim.wad and cars.wad before you begin doing anything, and that GPxPatch is the must have 'tweaking' utility. However, at the moment that's about it, so I'd like to start by asking a couple of questions:

1. Which editor should I be using for changing a cars appearance? GP4Master or Carset Creator (beta 4b)

2. Which editor should I be using to modify performance data?

3. Do either GP4Master or CSC beta 4b work with the patched GP4.exe, or do they both require an unpatched .exe to work?

4. The two methods that I know of for inserting files into .wad files are to either:

a) use GP4Master, load the .wad file into the Wad Workshop, extract all files to an empty folder, add or overwrite the files you want to add, then choose 'make WAD file from directory'.

or

b) use Viper's WADins or file inserter tools to manually install individual files, or install a set of files that have been pre-packaged for use with WADins.

Am I right in saying that the above two methods are the way that you guys patch your GP4? Is one way better than the other?

5. Can anyone tell me which editors/utilities are currently being actively developed, and which are no longer being maintained?

6. What is the least intimidating (easiest for newbies) solution to the old Toyota/Minardi position swap problem?

I'd appreciate any help that you guys can give me, and obviously the completed FAQ would be available for all. Hopefully it'll stop people asking the sorts of questions that I'm currently cluttering up your forum with!

Thanks,

Mark

Re: GP4 Editors
Date: May 29, 2003 01:15AM
Posted by: Lanky-Lad
IMO:

1) Carset Creator, (though there's a new version coming out soon)

2) [193.111.112.56]

3) They should do, but you'll still need the decrypted .exe

4) Use WadUpdater, found on this site.

5) Carset Creator is being updated (hurry up jon;)) and thats all I know.

6) Ummm.... Avery's cars.wad!!?? :)

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Date: May 29, 2003 03:46AM
Posted by: SpeedyGonzo
Thanks Lanky-Lad, that's great. Now it's time to get typing. If anyone else knows anything about which editors are still being developed for GP4, then let me know.

Thanks,

Mark
Date: May 29, 2003 04:55AM
Posted by: sam2019
no mate i don't think carset creator is being updated anymore!

To be a legend, first you have to learn to drive
Date: May 29, 2003 01:36PM
Oh, thanks for setting me straight!!

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Date: May 29, 2003 01:49PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
ull never be set straight lanky ;)

Date: May 29, 2003 02:10PM
*girlie giggle* ;)

Date: May 29, 2003 02:15PM
Posted by: Orpheus
stop using that! ;) :-o

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy