Sound card

Posted by ayazyounis 
Sound card
Date: April 02, 2003 06:35AM
Posted by: ayazyounis
i just bought a hercules digifire 7.1 sound card. now the h/w acc. is off. i when around poking in the sound menu in gp4 and it says that 2d acceleration will lighten the load off the processor. well i assumed that if the processor has less work to do then i may get a few extra frame rates. so i turned on 2d acc. (after i turned h/w acc. to full) and i got less frame rates. does gp4 have any logic to it at all? anyone been able to get good frame rates with a dedicated sound card?

i have an intel celeron 566mhz proc.
320mb ram
win xp
pro
geforce2 mx 400 64 mb
Re: Sound card
Date: April 02, 2003 10:59AM
Posted by: Vader
If your soundcard supports 3D sounds (most modern cards do) than soundcard does most of the work. If you have such a card and turn 3D sound off to use 2D sound you let the processor do the work. That's probably why you have less fps with 2D sounds. You would thus only gain fps if your soundcard did not support 3D, so that the CPU gets less work to do (2D instead of 3D emulation).

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy