Microprose to blame??

Posted by NunoEspadinha 
Microprose to blame??
Date: November 29, 2002 06:34AM
Posted by: NunoEspadinha
Tuesday 26th November 2002
Insider Info: Microprose & GP4 Bugs
26th November 2002 20:21 | Paul Tomlinson | Other

Tom Koppe (former GPx fansite webmaster), has been working very hard to get some information about the inside workings of Microprose and their roles in the development of Grand Prix 4. He has been in contact with an employee who wishes to remain anonymous, but has allowed the following information to be published: -

"Had the development team been advised of all the bugs present in the game, then the development team would have done all that was practicable to fix those problems prior to release of the game. The development team had no available time for testing within their schedules, and this role was performed by the Infogrames QA team in Lyon (France).
By the time the development team were aware of the problems being experienced by the consumer, they were also aware of Infogrames' intention to close the MicroProse studio, and this delayed the necessary work to a patch."
And, shortly after Tom manged to get even more information.
"MicroProse has gone. There will not be another game from MicroProse UK.

I will make more games. At the moment I am deciding exactly what I want to do, and where I want to do it. Some companies would like me to do a driving game with them and some would like me to do something different.
Having done games like GP3 and GP4 (though buggy, it is a superb achievement) I initially wondered what kind of project could top what I have done so far in my career. But, to go forward with what I have learnt during my career in this industry, and apply it along with new ideas is getting me excited again."
Well, there you have it! Some more insider information and confirmation that the future of the GP-series looks bleak. Thanks to Tom Koppe for gathering this information for us, and don't forget to post your comments on the forums.

-----------------------------
Virtual-Games.com: [www.virtual-games.com]
Virtual-Games.com Racing Team: [racing.virtual-games.com]

Re: Microprose to blame??
Date: November 29, 2002 12:49PM
Posted by: Glyn
Interesting information, and obviously true. Sadly, it quite often happens when the developers dont get any testing time. When Geoff made GP2 alone, he could make it, test it, trap all the bugs and feed them brocolli to kill them off and release a bug free game. Now publishers want new games released all the time. They dont really care about the quality of the product. The type of teams that make GPx games and other sim games are dedicated people, who want the best game they can make to be released. I hope they do get together to make GP5, im sure there are other coders out there as good, and I personally would buy GP5 even if it used GP4's 3D engine!

Date: November 29, 2002 03:25PM
Posted by: kirkvdb
I seriously doubt that a gp5 will ever happen now......Maybe we should all try to get used to EA's F1-2002 :-(
Date: November 29, 2002 03:39PM
Posted by: Ellis
Maybe we should all try to get used to EA's F1-2002 :-(

maybe we should wait a round for a few months and see what the editors bring us. GP4 is looking more promising by the day now. Texture mapping has been solved, carshapes are being made and working.

the game is slowly improving to what it should have been in the first place

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 30, 2002 03:26AM
Posted by: Glyn
Remember how much GP2 came along with editors? The graphics were made better by simply increasing the number of objects at the trackside. It s bit like with Viper Racing. Since the game was released people have added extra hi-poly cars, and made new tracks with even more detail in. The result is the game looks a year younger.

Date: November 30, 2002 02:55PM
Posted by: Morbid
What the...? Since Infogrames to the development team squat, and our buglist went directly to the development team, this actually means that the first report of serious problems with bugs that development team got hold of was our buglist?!?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: November 30, 2002 03:14PM
Posted by: Orpheus
Remember how much GP2 came along with editors? The graphics were made better by simply increasing the number of objects at the trackside. It s bit like with Viper Racing. Since the game was released people have added extra hi-poly cars, and made new tracks with even more detail in. The result is the game looks a year younger.

alot of ppl cant even run gp4 with fair fps. never mind more trackside objects :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: December 01, 2002 07:34AM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
viper racing is sweeeeeeeeeeet

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy