Floppity -flop sounds from approaching cars- yikes!

Posted by LarryM 
Floppity -flop sounds from approaching cars- yikes!
Date: April 23, 2003 01:07AM
Posted by: LarryM
Back from vacation in Gran Canaria. :( Nice karting outdoors there).
Anyway back to GP4. I have for some time had a warp in my sound in one particular area. Other cars engines' sounds coming from behind (or side) are not engine sounds but floppity-floppity-flerp-flerp-sounds sorry ;) .
It sounds a bit like a flat tyre..but worse. When (if) they get past me the engines sound right again. The same applies to the pits. When Williams starts up it's engine in the garage beside mine the sound is weird (used to be a deep manly growl).

I would put the start of this phenomenen at around the time of the Brazilain Grand prix- that was when I started practicing in the rain. The rain brings in some new sounds (including something like floppity-flop): could the sounds have been corrupted. I recopied the sound folders and samples from the CD, but it made no change.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know what has happened?

Post Edited (04-23-03 08:09)

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Re: Floppity -flop sounds from approaching cars- yikes!
Date: April 23, 2003 01:30AM
Posted by: jp2
yes, i know this ! used to describe the sound as flap-flap-flap, so i guess it's the same... sometimes it happens in qualifying, sometimes in sat or fri practice, but never in race.

sorry, i have to tell you this is one of the weirdest problems i ever had in gp4. copying the original sound folder from the cd did not cure it for me either.

the first time i had it, it started after editing gp4 with gp4edit (at least this is what i believe). i cant remember how i got rid of it.

the second time i did not have a clue why it started, but it went away after a defrag of my hd, reinstall of gp4 etc, cant remember, was a terrible evening.

the third time it started after i put a line for 3 consecutive cars in qualifying into gpxset.ini. turned out that every entry in this line corrupted the sound in free practice, apart from 7, which is gp4-default.

now with gpxpatch 3.34, things are far better: i can change the consecutive cars in qualifying without destroying the sound in friday and sat practice. in qualifying, some cars sound right and about 2/3 of the others go flap-flap.. but i can live with that because i dont meet other cars on track in quali (new rules). and watching other cars is ok, sound is only corrupted as heard from my cockpit.

you see, a crazy problem, needs investigation but i am clueless. in fact this is the first time i meet someone in a forum who knows what i am talking about.

good luck and keep us informed... greetings, jp
Aaaaah sooooo!!!! Thanks jp. Yes, I too have changed the consecutive cars in qualifying (this is my 2003 version of the game). I should try out the other versions. But I think you are on to it. I experience this in Friday and Saturday free practice and in qualifying I think some do and some don't. I am using GPx 3.35 8I think, though I am in work now- which reminds me- this isn't what i get paid for). I'll check it out this evening.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: April 23, 2003 12:24PM
Posted by: Xero
I used to have this problem.... not sure about a total fix, but a quick fix is to switch from 1st person to third and back again.

yeah...i get the same...mainly in practise and qualifying,also when the cars r real close...
Thought it was something i done in the sound options,but nothing has changed
I will try the 1st/3rd person switch ...see what happens?
I was actually going to post my own thread about this, ha...u beat me too it!
Post back please ....does get really bloody annoying sometimes!
Yep, that seems to work. Change out to 3rd person view and then back and it goes away. Thanks Xero. Still kind of weird though.

Larry
Date: April 24, 2003 02:09AM
Posted by: jp2
huh, did i miss something there ? what exactly do you mean with "3rd person view", changing from cockpit view to out side and back ? have to try this tonight...

thx and greetings, jp
Don't think any of this rings a bell. GP4 is a totally dysfunctional game. Weird.

....................I quite like this now.
Date: April 24, 2003 06:36PM
Posted by: tux
it used to happen to me in race. upgrading sound drivers seemed to help it a little

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy