Imola set-up

Posted by RichE 
Imola set-up
Date: April 21, 2003 06:16AM
Posted by: RichE
Anybody got any tips on setting the car up to ride the kerbs better at Imola?
Re: Imola set-up
Date: April 21, 2003 06:56AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
max rear wing, no front wing, set gear ratios to max out in gear 3 and have no dampers or rear suspension.

I'm kind of new to Formula 1, I'm still learning the ropes of the setups, but so far this has proven the best.

Re: Imola set-up
Date: April 22, 2003 05:55PM
Posted by: JohnW
Hitting the kurbs in GP3 and GP4 can be helped by softening the fast dampers. If you hit them a lot, try a 0 for the fast bump and a 1 for the fast rebound. You want the wheels to be able to fly up and down quickly and not try to make the whole car come up with it.

Other setup considerations depend on your driving style.

For instance, even though there are two chicanes at Imola, there is are a lot of conrers that need mechanical grip. The debate is whether to have stiff ARBs to allow quick directional changes or softer bars to give more grip. Try both. I just ran at Imola for the last two week, in the rain, with a very soft ARB setting. Fronts at 1000lbs and the rear at 0 or 50lbs.

Surprisingly, even though Imola has longish sections of straights, a low wing setup doesn't make my times drop. I lose too much time in the corners. I would suggest a 60-70% Rear wing and a 80-100% front wing. Getting them too widely differing makes for a strange handling car.

The slow dampers can add or subtract mechaniical grip too, but if they are stoo soft, you can't get your car as low as would be best. Since you get free downforce, by having the car low, use the packers to keep the car off the plank at the end of the straights and get it as low as you can. Perhapse only 3mm difference between the packers and the ride height in the front and perhapse 10mm diff in the back.

What you set you spring like, depends on your other settings. You'll have to play with that one.

The no front wing and max rear suggestion has me lost. Slow the car and make it understeer is what it sounds like to me.

JohnW
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy