Help Please Playable Framerate

Posted by NimCross 
Help Please Playable Framerate
Date: April 17, 2003 02:14AM
Posted by: NimCross
Hello all,

I have a P4 1.7G PC with 768 megs of ram running on Windows ME with a GForce3 64 meg card.

I cannot get an Occupancy that stays below 100 at all the tracks. Whenever I hit the Pit straights My occupancy goes up to about 120 - 130 and it does this on other parts of most tracks also. Most parts of the tracks I am around 40 - 60 %

Whenever I do a graphics test it tells me I can use up to 40 frames or more. I set it to 30. I have everything turned to low running at 800X600. I have mirrors set to cars only. The only way I can get a decent frame rate is to turn all trackside objects off. I really would rather not do that. I have downloaded the f1graphics.cfg in the downloads area. This helps me get better test results but when I go into an actual race my occupancy is over 200. Weird.

I have went into teh f1graphics.cfg and for two days now I have been playing with settings trying to get something that works. I have not been able to find anything that helps. It seems weird that this always happens on the pit straights although that is usually high graphics areas.

I have been running most tests at Brazil and Melborne however I see the same thing at all the tracks.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please? I really love this sim and want to be able to play it. Even at low details w/objects on would be great. Turning down to 640X480 seems to do nothing.

Thanks for the help,
Nim
Re: Help Please Playable Framerate
Date: April 17, 2003 02:53AM
Posted by: Vader
I would say forget about this PO nonsense. First of all I have no idea how the game finds out the PO and more important WHY? What does it actually tell you FRAPS couldn't do in a much better way?.

If your game says your PO is around 120 it might really be around 100, since the display of the PO message does give the PO level a massive hit.

I say it again: Forget about the PO level. As long as it runs smooth and looks good it is okay. A little hint: WHen doing your first two laps in a race let a stopwatch run and see if the game runs in realtime. If it does, you have nothing to worry about.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: April 17, 2003 04:11AM
I understand what you are saying and understand the PO takes up occupancy when checking it. However I do notice some frame hit when going through these sections on the track. I loose feeling of speed at these points which takes away a bit of the enjoyment for me. I agree I can forget about the PO but still want a smooth FR.

Thanks. :)

Nim
Date: April 17, 2003 04:17AM
Posted by: sasjag
:| i find that a P of up too 140 is fine, but in theory that' runnin almost half as slow as it should be, so like vader sez take no notice

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: April 17, 2003 04:38AM
Posted by: Fieroboy
1024 res, 32 bit, mirrors, dynamic env, map bump, lots of eye candy, with hi res 03 carshapes = 45-75 PO. this is on a PIII 450 256 ram TI-4600 and Win98SE. I posted a thread on editing the config and not calibrating the graphics once you start GP4. It works for me but not for everyone. The post is "FPS...Try this". Give it a shot!!!!
Date: April 17, 2003 04:47AM
Posted by: jp2
no background progs ?

greetings, jp
Date: April 17, 2003 05:10AM
Posted by: Xero
I can't find the post "FPS...Try this" when I search... can any1 else, and if so, copy it back on here?!

Date: April 17, 2003 05:36AM
Posted by: tux
try turning light maps to static

Date: April 17, 2003 05:58AM
Posted by: genesis
environment maps ;-)

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: April 17, 2003 06:00AM
Posted by: tux
close enough

Date: April 17, 2003 08:59AM
Posted by: Xero
Not that it's gonna be a problem for me any more! Just bought a new processor! :)

Date: April 17, 2003 09:54AM
Posted by: NunoEspadinha
turn off your 3d sounds in the sound menu

-----------------------------
Virtual-Games.com: [www.virtual-games.com]
Virtual-Games.com Racing Team: [racing.virtual-games.com]

Date: April 17, 2003 10:43AM
Posted by: Morbid
Vader's call on the PO meter is spot on. It is a very dodgy instrument and can only give you a general idea of whats going on. The trick with the stopwatch is good, and I used it to add lots of eyecandy a few months after the release of GP4, that I never would have dared touching if I had trusted the PO-meter. However, there may be a trick that serves you better now.

If you have gpxpatch installed, then go to \gpxpdata\log and open gpxlap.log in notepad. You should see something like this:

Start of session: Quick/non-championship/championship race
End lap 0: car 6, racepos 22, time -:--.---, PO 0/ 0%, 0.0s slomo
End lap 1: car 6, racepos 9, time 1:54.063, PO 70/187%, 3.0s slomo
End lap 2: car 6, racepos 13, time 2:00.702, PO 67/145%, 0.9s slomo
End lap 3: car 6, racepos 13, time 1:50.836, PO 58/134%, 0.1s slomo
End lap 4: car 6, racepos 13, time 1:51.368, PO 58/131%, 0.3s slomo

Gpxpatch opens a log each time you participate in a race. The X.Xs slomo is what you need to look at. It is tool developed to let leagues check that drivers are not driving in slowmotion, and hence cheating by having lots more time to get corners right. When your PO goes over 100, then in THEORY you get slowmo. But as the slowmo tool shows a lap of over 90 seconds, with an average PO of 58 and a max PO of 134 gave only 0.1s of slomo!!

So, just follow all the tips and tricks you can find, slowly increasing you settings and level of FPS, until you find that you get unacceptable levels of slowmo. Quickraces in the wet are best when you measure this, since quickraces give you a couple of laps to asses the level of slowmo, which varies from lap to lap, and the wet gives the maximum strain that your gaming rig will experience in any situation that can happen while racing in GP4.

Happy tweaking, my friend.

Post Edited (04-17-03 17:45)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: April 18, 2003 11:39AM
Morbid wrote:

>
> Happy tweaking, my friend.
>

Great tips. Thanks.

Nim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy