Concerned

Posted by klhere 
Concerned
Date: June 26, 2002 02:32AM
Posted by: klhere
It worries me that I'm even considering not buying GP4. It shouldn't even be an issue... I first played GP1 on the Amiga back in about 1992 and thought it was one of the greatest games ever. In 1996 it was GP2 on the PC and I loved that as well.

Those games took racing sims to the next level, and always made the competition look ordinary, even if Papyrus created some sims that came close.

Then Papyrus came out with Grand Prix Legends in 1998 (I didn't get a PC fast enough to run it until late 1999). As far as I'm concerned, that took racing sims to the next level again. Unfortunately, no other open wheel racing sim has managed to come close to it yet.

Grand Prix 3 was a huge letdown for me. I bought it as soon as it came out due to loyalty to the series, but it was nonetheless a big disappointment. It was still a good sim (apat from a few niggling problems), but it was definately nothing more than Grand Prix 2 2000, not something genuinely worthy of the Grand Prix 3 name.

It seems to me that the physics are a little too 'canned' in places. There may have been a design decision to fudge things a little due to the difficulties of driving on a computer with limited feedback, but I'd prefer the full physics realism approach.

So, in my opinion, GP3 was a considerable way behind GP Legends in terms of feel. So where was the step up that justified the release of GP3? There was no career mode, or proper modelling of individual driver skills. Where's the proper modelling of the individual car components?

GP3 was a cosmetic upgrade. I'm worried that GP4 seems like nothing more than another touch up. Is it really worthy of its name, or are people buying it based on how good the first two games in the series were?

As I said, I hate having to be so negative. I loved the GP1 and 2, but GP Legends won me over. Papyrus are just concentrating on bloody NASCAR, as that's where the money is, but I want a modern open wheel sim that's worthy of being released in 2002, not just a tweak of mid-90's games.
Re: Concerned
Date: June 26, 2002 02:37AM
Posted by: _Alex_
Gp4 is more than a touch up. If you buy it, I shouldn't think you'll be disappointed. Then again, who can tell other than yourself? You're the one making the judgement, so it's fruitless asking others - so many people in here seem to think it's a load of rubbish, but they generally played it for five minutes then uninstalled it. It's the best game I've ever played in my opinion.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 26, 2002 02:43AM
Posted by: Glyn
I couldnt agree more Alex. GP4 is what GP3 should of been. Yes, GP3 was excellent, but compared to the impact GP2 made it wasn't quite there. GP4 (minus the bugs for the moment) is a very well designed and put together game.

Jus need the patch :)

Date: June 26, 2002 08:40AM
Posted by: pannini
I agree that GPL is superb. But the thing is that those cars had no downforce and skinny tyres. the effect of throttle on car attitude is pronounced. i suspect (but don't know) that the GP4 physics are pretty good but it's difficult to compare to GPL.

If i had to bet on it i'd say the car physics modelling in GPL is probably the most advanced ever.

I guess papyrus are US based and have to cater to the Nascar market to make thier bucks. it's a shame.

how about a GPL2 based on 1980's turbo cars featuring the likes of Gilles Villeneuve. that would be ace!

i'd settle for another papyrus indycar game though.
Date: June 26, 2002 11:44AM
Posted by: Ellis
If/when they get the bugs sorted this will be far and away the ebst race sim ever.

We know how good the GP series is....as shown by JV using GP2 to help learn the tracks :P

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 26, 2002 01:41PM
Posted by: Morbid
And JPM playing GP3 in his spare time.

And Nicolas Kiesa who went to x-F3000 driver Jason Watts, who has banged wheels with JPM and Nick Heidfeld in F3000 before he was paralyzed, as preparation for a tryout for F3000. They used GP3 to learn and discuss how to take Catalunya the fastest way. And when Nicolas came to Spain it took him 10 laps in an unknown car on an "unknown" track to get on pace with the rest of the guys. And some of those have been in F3000 for a year or more. Naturally he passed the tryout and signed the contract.

No question about it. Without the odd bugs GPx delivers the goods.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy