What does a driver have to do ?

Posted by Dreevesy 
What does a driver have to do ?
Date: April 13, 2003 12:34AM
Posted by: Dreevesy
First post so bear with me on this people......

Does anyone have a solution to GP4 freezing or experiencing it themselves.

My PC works absolutely fine in everything except GP4. After a few laps (varies each time) the image freezes and the sound loops.

I have tried everything (BIOS/Drivers etc) and cannot seem to fix it.

Unsure if the fact that (a) I've Dx9 installed when the G/fics card only supports 8.1 and (b) the soundcard runs to a couple of speakers with a subwoofer from an old Tiny PC system (not exactly 5.1/6.1)

Any constructive help much appreciated...........

Setup: Win XP Professional - XP2000+ - GF4Ti4200 40.xx drivers- 512MB DDR (PC 2700)- Audigy Soundblaster- Dx9

AMD Athlon XP2000+
512MB DDR
GeForce Ti4200 64mb
Creative Audigy soundcard
DirectX 9.0
NVidia 40.xx drivers (latest from www.guru3d.com)
Re: What does a driver have to do ?
Date: April 13, 2003 12:45AM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
This happenned when i overclocked my xp2200. Went back to fastest factory default and then it ran fine.

Date: April 13, 2003 12:50AM
How can I check if my CPU / Graphics card is currently overclocked ?

AMD Athlon XP2000+
512MB DDR
GeForce Ti4200 64mb
DirectX 9.0
Date: April 13, 2003 01:16AM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
If u've never experimented with the cpu then it'll be at default - sounds like u baught it an all in one package. To see ur cpu speed restart cpu and hit delete on numpad when cpu beeps. In the Bios look under power and if u can change the cpu values [fsb and multiplyier] then it's overclockable. Tell me what ur mhz is by clicking start, run then type dxdiag. Under system ur cpu speed is shown by Processor. It should be around 1.67Ghz if it is then this isn't the problem - maybe try installing latest Nvidia drivers instead of the guru ones.

Date: April 13, 2003 10:12AM
Posted by: Morbid
It might very well be an overheating problem. If you dare, you can hard reset the system when it locks up, enter the BIOS and check the temperatures.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: April 13, 2003 03:39PM
Posted by: Xero
It may be a problem with DX9! I recently installed this and it messed up GP4 big time!

With DX8.1 I was getting about 25fps with full detail on a GF4 MX440.
With DX9.0 I was getting about 12fps with full detail on a GF4 ti4600!!!!

I know this doesn't directly relate to your problem, but alot of people I know only have bad things to say about DX9. I've just formatted to get rid of it, although there are programs on the net which can uninstall it. Go back to DX 8.1!

Date: April 13, 2003 03:50PM
Posted by: Beardless2
isn't there a small compatiblitity problem with some amd mobos where gp4 would lock after a few laps and theres a reg edit to fix it?

Band of the week: Muse
Game of the week: Call of Duty

Beardless2

AMD XP 2700+ | Asus A7N8X nForce 2 Deluxe | 1 GB PC2700 RAM DC | ATI RADEON 9800 | WD 120GB 8MB | NEC 16x DVD | Lite-on 48x24x48 | XP
Date: April 14, 2003 05:00AM
Posted by: Timm
xERO,

I would imagine that when you upgraded your card you also installed a new detonator driver. You will need to make sure that you haven't got Anti Aliasing on and/or VSYNC as these give quite a performance hit

As for the freezing thing, I would suspect it is heat related or it could be the rating on your PSU.

The other thing to check is Hardware acceleration on your soundcard, put the slider next but one notch to the left.

I know the Audigy sometimes has problems with some games (BF1942?) so you may want to check some Audigy forums for advice

Date: April 14, 2003 07:37AM
All,

What can I say - so many responses.

Averygpfan - BIOS settings are 1.67mhz

Morbid - Have added two internal fans a while back to no avail.

Beardless2 - Very interested if you've any more info on the reg edit

I've moved the soundcard acceleration down one notch but without success.

The one thing I've found frustrating is that even though the MSI Ti4200 states it has fast writes with these switched on the intro movie & sound is flawless whereas with it switched off it is very stuttered.

As one of those annoying (non experienced) people who plays with the BIOS settings I was wondering if anyone knows of an excellent site to give the settings recommended required for both motherboards and Video cards. (Other than the manufacturers ones as these prove fruitless)

Thanks again all - I've just gone back to 30.82 from NVidia as this is their last WHQL release but still no luck. Looks like (yet another) rebuild...<sigh>

AMD Athlon XP2000+
512MB DDR
GeForce Ti4200 64mb
DirectX 9.0
Date: April 14, 2003 08:04AM
Posted by: the_boy
it could be your graphics drivers - i installed the latest nvidia drivers and got the same prob - had to roll back to some really old ones (pre-30.**) - but it solved the problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy