Graphics card - Advise PLZ!

Posted by Tigershark 
Re: Graphics card - Advise PLZ!
Date: May 22, 2003 04:32PM
Posted by: mickg
i am about to get(2-3weeks) a new pc. cpu will be Intel 3.06ghz and 1gig ram. My question, now that the Radeon's have been out for a while,is what graphic card to get. I am thinking radeon 9800 Pro at this stage but am open to suggestions if you guys have had probs with them. It will be used almost exclusively for GP4 although son plays morrowwind etc, so i need a highend pc. money is not an object(within reason!). what do you think? Any one have the Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra?

regards
mickg

Post Edited (05-23-03 00:15)

P4 3.2ghz/800mhzFSB; XFX 7800GS; 2Gig PC3200(400mhz) DDR; Seagate SATA 10krpm HD x2 ;SB AudigyLS .

AYRTON SENNA: F1's Undying Legend.
Date: May 22, 2003 05:30PM
Posted by: Tony
Mick,

I have an Intel Pentium 4 2.66, and a Radeon 9000. it runs the game like a dream. You are getting a 3.06 gig processor, well, that will run the game like a dream too. However, I would definitly advise you to hold back on the Radeon 9800 Card, and see what it runs like on your 3.06 Intel and existing card that you have. Gracious! , the Radeon 9800's over £300 qwid, and THAT is a lot of money if you are only going to use it for morrowmind and GP4. Not sure what card you have at the mo, but a mainstream card, along with the 3 gig Intel processor should make it fly. Not that the 9800 ain't a kicking card, but £300 + :eek: I don't think (at least looking at recent posts' on radeon 9700's and GP4) that the £300 Plus would be wise at this time.

Get your Intel "3 Gig Processor", Mick, and you'll probably find you don't need anything more than "mainstream" card as standard......but it will be cool for future GP'Xxs;) Most people round here will tell you that GP4 is processor intensitive. But most people, too, will tell you that MR Crammond's GP4 wasn't coded right, and should have run on much less spec than Is required, but maybe not an Intel PII 400!!

Tony
Date: May 22, 2003 06:33PM
Posted by: marcl
Check your Mother board before buying a ATI card as there are lots of probs with them and the VIA chip set.

Also there is no point buying the new FX card unless u have a AMD 3000+ or a top end P4 for which they are designed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy