GP3 vs GP4

Posted by whingr ron 
GP3 vs GP4
Date: March 20, 2003 05:38AM
Posted by: whingr ron
Hello people,

Well ive had about a gutfull of GP4 and its misgivings.

Cant even race with the "in cockpit view", game crashes after 30sec or so.
Cant save a game, oh lets just face it, I cant do a DAMNED THING WITH THE GAME!!!

And considering i am a computer gumby, well all this talk of patches and no cd's things, ah crap i struggle to find the shift button on the bloody keyboard let alone do anything technical with the game.

It will go down as the worst game i have ever bought, a pity cos' it has huge potential. But i dont need to tell you that, it has been said numerous times.

Anyway, because i am seriously thinking of sending the game off to the mother in laws for eternal damnation and purchasing GP3, i was wondering if those of you out there who have played GP3 can give me a rundown between the two games.

How much has the graphics improved from GP2 to GP3 to GP4?

Is the game "user friendly" as GP2 was?

Do the various editors work well with the game?

Should get the people who created Flightsim 2002 to give those baboons over at infogrames a lesson on how to develop a game.
Re: GP3 vs GP4
Date: March 20, 2003 07:41AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
GP4 is by far the best looking game. Tracks are GPS data accurate. I've played all the GP games since GP1 and GP4 is the best. Most people have moved on to GP4 unless their system can't handle it.

I'd stick with GP4 and try to get the bugs out, I play wit fione and it doens't crash at all. Post your system specs and I'll try to help you figure out the problem.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: March 20, 2003 09:04AM
Posted by: Tony
Merlin,

I've got a PC coming this week (finally - after 2 years of putting it off - honest! ), and I've got Grand Prix 4 comming along with it.

What I want to know is: how will GP4 run on my computer? (specs below), I know that sounds like "how longs' a piece of string", but I'm hoping for a "minimum of the maximum" (if you like) of what Grand Prix 3 can run at: 26 Frames per second. That will be fine, - unless PO (processor occupancy) goes above 100/150 most of the time). Will I need to load a Patch in after the game - straight away?, or am I to assume it will do something useful before that - like work :)

Anyroad, specs of my pc will be thus:

Pentium 4 2.66 (533 Bus - on 845G)
512 MB DDR ram
Radeon 9000 64 MB GFX card (not the "pro";)
60 gig hd
Windows XP home

Rest of specs don't matter I wouldn't have thought.

Just out of interest, I have Grand prix 3 running "not-too-bad" on a Pentium II 400, Voodoo 3K GFX, 96 sDRAM, 23 Fps with most of details on with a resolution of 1024*768 (85 hz) (17 inch monitor restricts me from going higher than this, though it's possible to go to 1280 *1024 - but only with a 60hz refresh rate (ouch sez me' eyes'!) BTW, will GP4 be able to run at 1152*864 ? - because I can get 75 hz out of this setting, but can't get it to run in my current GP3 game - won't configure.

Thanks

Tony

With technology ever surpassing itself...the word "Impossible" should be used with caution...if at all
Date: March 20, 2003 04:27PM
Posted by: ArexonsF1
Gp4 is a great game, a true simulation of every single aspect of a Formula one race. BUT i still prefer Gp3.
First of all, When you install Gp3, come to that beautiful intro, the music, images... the game itself took 4 years to be developed (most of the time of the production was on reseasrching, used later in gp4 too), it has video from real life, theme music from Rob D, consistency (something Gp4 doesn't have). Also, when you are in a season at Gp3, you feel like in an incredible journey thru the world. In Spa, for example, you start in the middle of everything, and after some seconds, you are in the middle of nothing! Also, the 1998 season was cool, but JV is not there. You feel like they wanted to make that game, they dedicated!
When you install Gp4, the first think i've noticed is that it uses the same background as Gp3(lazy guys). Tha game itself was to be about the 2000 season, you can see it clearly. But then they wanted 2001, and the game became a mix, even the yoong's helmet is wrong. The game is buggy.
It's my opinion: Gp3, the best f1 game ever!
BTW, what's refresh rate?
Date: March 21, 2003 04:37AM
Posted by: whingr ron
Thanks Merlin, any help would be appreciated.

AMD Duron (tm) processor
1.29Ghz 256 mg RAM
NVIDIA Geforce4 MX440
Windows XP

The game works fine in its "out of the box mode", yet when i try to use a decrypted version to get a team editor to work, wham, the thing turns to sh%$.

I can get GP4 Master to work by pointing it to a file i created with the decrypted exe in it ( got that from using the search function). Yet if i try to drive via the "in cockpit" mode, the game is lucky to last 30 sec before crashing. Got a feeling its something to do with the graphics. I have to use the outside view to drive. I downloaded the Cars.wad file from the awesome cars thread, could the detailed stuff in this be too much for my machine to handle?

If i try to use the decrypted exe (6250496) in the main game itself, it doesnt work( still shows ver1.00 - do i need one of those patches, 9.6 whatever, to make it work?)

Is there a simple way to get a team editor to work?

Thats all i want, to get a damned team editor to work without the game going nuts on me.

Ive tried using the search function, got a little success but hell its just getting frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated.

I get the feeling computers will forever be my nemesis, there to goad me, taunt me and humiliate me.
Date: March 22, 2003 12:46AM
Posted by: captainvik
I think you shold persevere with GP4. I also have a low spec system:

Piii700 o/c 868mhz 256ram Abit mobo and el-cheapo Gf4MX440 clocked at 290/310mhz.

with that I can use the great cars.wad with 2002 season and have Quincunx anti-aliasing on and using the Detonator 31.00 drivers I am getting a very respectable 30fps that looks stunning.

It is worth fiddling abit and I can sent you my graphics.cfg file if it helps at all.

Oh and I run Win98se and from everything I read anywhere that is the best OS to use on lower spec systems like mine which is now 3.5 years old so quickly becoming ancient.

Incidentally my graphics are much better than I had hoped for after taking out my trusty old Hercules GF2mx card and putting in a cheap ($100 AUD)
ST Lab GF4mx, can't afford the expensive cards, but more than satisfied with this card which many people say is rubbish.

:)

good luck and if I can be any help I will gladly as Gp4 is in my opinion much more satisfying than the dry bare-bones looking Gp3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy