Posted by: Anonymous User
Morbid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One boring race out of eight. Oh noes... the
> burden of it all.
>
> Much needs to be done. Super Mario Formula One
> FTW!

Well the couple of races Webber won weren't hugely interesting either. Don't get me wrong it's better than post-1999, pre-2009 but I still think it has some way to go before we rekindle the magic of the early 90's. And I didn't mean completely through gizmos :)
The early 90s were dire!

It was all electronics and cars were winning by huge margins.
Slash Wrote:

>
> my point is Lotus gains in performance compared to
> Virgin and HRT, no need to get sentimental about
> it!, they proven to be a lot more prepared and
> with a will to make better than their main rivals
>
> at this day and age technology is a lot easier to
> reach than it was a decade ago, so it doesn't make
> sense to compare F1 back then and nowadays

Your point was not Lotus was doing better. Your point was Lotus was the only one taking it seriously, which frankly, is a lot of bollocks.

Lotus only out qualified Virgin by less than 2 tenths of a second at Montreal, so the gap is no where near is big as you are attempting to make it sound. Using 2 tenths as your gap between taking it seriously, and not taking it seriously, only Lewis should be allowed on the grid, as he out qualified everybody by over 2 tenths.

I am getting quite tired of the abuse thrown at the new teams by people who seem completely clueless on just how difficult F1 is to compete in.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: Pirelli, 107% Rule, Adjustable Rear Wings all in for 2011
Date: June 25, 2010 11:30AM
gav Wrote:
> The early 90s were dire!
>
> It was all electronics and cars were winning by
> huge margins.

But it was fun to watch, there was close racing and cars flying off left right and centre.
Fun to watch? Nope. Fun rivalries? Yep. Cars flying offer left, right and centre... hmm, more retirements due to reliability issues certainly though.

If anything, this season has demonstrated how billiard smooth tracks give poor racing, while raw, bumpy, drivers tracks with grass, gravel and walls which punishes drivers gives good racing. And poor tyres.

Valencia will be crap. It'll be so crap there isn't even a preview thread for it yet and I've only just realised Friday practice 1 has already finished and I completely forgot about it. Go Bernie. Go Bernie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 11:42AM by gav.
Re: Pirelli, 107% Rule, Adjustable Rear Wings all in for 2011
Date: June 25, 2010 04:29PM
gav Wrote:
> Valencia will be crap. It'll be so crap there
> isn't even a preview thread for it yet and I've
> only just realised Friday practice 1 has already
> finished and I completely forgot about it. Go
> Bernie. Go Bernie.

Haha, you're right. Maybe now you mentioned it we'll get the surprise of the year!
The drivers might end up with both hands off the steering wheel if the rear wing adjust is on the opposite side to the front wing one :( :-(
Don't worry. They will hit the steering wheel with their helmets, while attempting to activate the KERS. At the same time, they will operate the Z-duct with their ankles or knees.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
On new teams, got to say, in ALL areas Lotus has just about trounced the others, nad so far is the only new team to look like an F1 team. All this from a team with Mikey G eh? who woulda thought ;-)! Though let's be honest. Its Heikki who's doing everything right. Not Trulli. I have no doubt in my mind that Heikki is the key differentiating factor with the new teams. He by far is putting his car places it shouldnt be.

Expect more throughout the season from Virgin, but expected more already. So far they've disapointed me, and I dont think that HRT is far off overtaking them as it stands (beforeVirgins silverstone update!).

Adjustable rear wings? Well I like! Only thing I dislike is that they can only use it when overtaking. Thats the bad part. I wonder too how it will be adjustable, via a mechanism like the FW or via an electrical current and using aero-elasticity?

Pirelli, well I like change. And I suspect it will make it difficult for the teams for a new manufacturer to come in.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
chet
On new teams, got to say, in ALL areas Lotus has just about trounced the others, nad so far is the only new team to look like an F1 team. All this from a team with Mikey G eh? who woulda thought ;-)! Though let's be honest. Its Heikki who's doing everything right. Not Trulli. I have no doubt in my mind that Heikki is the key differentiating factor with the new teams. He by far is putting his car places it shouldnt be.

Lotus have a car another team designed (allegedly), so I'm not sure 'Mikey G' can quite be called God's little assistant just yet. ;-)

Lotus have been good, but as you say, while Heikki is only half a second off of the STRs and Saubers, Trulli is only just ahead of the Virgins, often battling with them. Lotus have a lot of experienced personnel (which is especially critical up top, which is something Gascoyne can count as a priceless quality), while Virgin and HRT have less experience throughout the team. Both are rumoured to have less money too (clearly in HRTs case).

Lotus have done very well, and they're understandably getting all the plaudits in recent races, but when you look at the team on paper, it should be expected. Next season is when it should be judged. The only thing you can really judge this season is how competent a team is in day-to-day running.
Funnily enough though Gav who was it who came up with the current concepts Force India use and Toyota used last year? They are from Mikes head, and naturally he will take previous knowledge from other teams to Lotus.

Hell, we only need to look at the RedBulls over the years and then try our damn hardest to look for differences between that philosophy and that of the Mclarens Adrian designed. The RB4 for example was a Mclaern in RedBull colours IMO. You cant deny that can you? Its the same thing. With regards to aerolab well, I havent a clue whats going on with that and if it was as big issue then im sure we'd all know what was going on etc.

Lotus's performance has been amazing, they were the most under-rated new team to start. Everyone hated the name, hated the team, hated Mike (more so hated the idea of the return under the lotus name) and I cant remember many comments from here saying this team will do well, all I remember (selective?) are comments saying they will be one of the worst, behind Virgin, its only a name blahblah.

Look at the gap today. Over a second to Virgin, who are only just in front of a team with two drivers who debuted this year,less money and less running time. Halfway through the season and on racepace, Lotus are miles ahead imo. The gap is too big considering where they started, and considering the currnet Lotus had its beginings in Mikes home office and way behind the others.

Lotus have surpassed expectation in all areas and for me Virgin have certainly been below my expectations. Lotus have showed continious development whilst Virigin lack, though apparently will have a big update at Silverstone. I expected with their CFD approach development would be quick. We dont need to remind ourselves the fundementals of motorsport are results, analaysis and implemtation. And I expected with a sole CFD approach (even with lack of funds) Virgin would develop quicker than they have been.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
chet
Funnily enough though Gav who was it who came up with the current concepts Force India use and Toyota used last year? They are from Mikes head, and naturally he will take previous knowledge from other teams to Lotus.

You realise he did have a team around him? ;)

Nah, I'm was just having a dig. Force India look closer overall than they were last year, but who knows who or what is responsible for that?

I've nothing against Mike Gascoyne, but there is one thing he has in common with God.... I'm not a believer until he pulls off a miracle in front of my eyes. I'm still waiting. ;)
I think the crash between Webber and Kovalainen today will almost certainly convince the F1 community to NOT allow adjustable rear wings, because if the crash was with an extra 10 or so mph, the stopping distance required would be much greater and Webber would have suffered with broken legs, or much worse.
*spoiler* (well done there by the way)

The added braking distance between a car going at 195mph and a car doing 205mph is probably about 2 metres. It would have made sod all difference.

What it does show is the closing speed. Half of these drivers are incapable of slipstreaming each other without touching them. It's only a matter of time before a pitbox, section of crowd or another marshal's post is taken out.

Attitudes need to change to stop weaving and drivers getting to within an inch of a competitor before pulling out of a slipstream.
(spoiler as well)

Kovalainen did brake 80m earlier than Webber would have, so I don't think it was necessarily a problem with his slip-streaming, he was just caught out.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy