Posted by superchargednut 
Re: New layout for British GP
Date: February 15, 2010 06:08AM
Posted by: Frantic
do you want a fast silverstone?

Date: February 15, 2010 08:55AM
Posted by: gav
Before that they used to run without the chicane at Woodcote, and it was slightly banked too!

Is Chapel definitely changing? And if it is, are you sure it's not just an alternative corner for the bikes - they often have them on tracks.
Date: February 15, 2010 11:07AM
Posted by: J i m
That's what I thought.... because after all they have that silly diversion and chicane at luffield for the bikes.

Date: February 15, 2010 02:37PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Chapel definitely changing? And if it is, are
> you sure it's not just an alternative corner for
> the bikes - they often have them on tracks.

I think so. From the concept map, it looks like there definitely will be two Chapel options, as you said, which I hadn't noticed before

But from a link on the Silverstone website, I found this image, which seems to indicate they will use the modified version of the corner.

[www.sportssystems.com] (Full image)

Hopefully they keep using the 2009 Chapel, and since they aren't even demolishing it, there isn't really an excuse not to.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 15, 2010 07:43PM
Hmm weird. Really can't think why they are doing that.

However... I'd point out that a lot of the classics use a slightly different configuration of the grand prix circuit to the modern day stuff. For example at Club there is a alternative corner that old sports cars use.

If that is anything to go by... the F1 might be using this new castrated chapel, with the old one there remaining for the classics.

Date: February 15, 2010 08:26PM
Posted by: gav
I can see 1 good reason why they'd use the modified Chapel - in order to slow the cars entering the straight, as in theory it would minimise the turbulence, providing more chances of an overtake. Of course, that theory is blown apart when you factor in Maggots and Becketts, but never let common sense get in the way of a good F1 cock-up.
Date: February 15, 2010 09:00PM
Yes that reasoning had occurred to me.... but maggots and becketts like you say wasted no time in dismissing that little notion.

Date: February 16, 2010 12:18AM
Posted by: chet
Aghhh! That completley ruins the flow of one of the best corner sequences ever :(!!!!!!!!!!

edit - just read what you put Gav about maggots and becketts. they have to be pretty stupid to think that change will increase overtaking chances! Surley the change will just add more of a concertina effect and destroy any overtaking into stowe?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 12:28AM by chet.
Date: February 16, 2010 10:33AM

but never let common sense get in the way of a good F1 cock-up.

Is the vital phrase in this topic.

Date: February 16, 2010 01:17PM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
> Of course, that theory is blown apart
> when you factor in Maggots and Becketts, but never
> let common sense get in the way of a good F1
> cock-up.

Couldn't be better said.

Date: February 16, 2010 05:07PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
J i m Wrote:
> However... I'd point out that a lot of the
> classics use a slightly different configuration of
> the grand prix circuit to the modern day stuff.
> For example at Club there is a alternative corner
> that old sports cars use.

Yeah, and at Abbey as well - but at least they have some infield between them, these two are literally right next to each other, so its quite surprising.

I suppose we will have to wait for F1 or FIA websites to release the final circuit map to make sure.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 16, 2010 09:43PM
Posted by: EC83
Have to say, although I quite like the look of the layout of the new link on paper - it does look quite generic, yeah, but then I guess it was bound to, given the lack in variety of new circuit/layout design these days - I don't like the seemingly customary massive tarmac run-offs around it. I think they'll detract from the circuit more than the new layout will.

Date: February 16, 2010 11:49PM
Posted by: LS.
well lets wait and see what happens, i imagine similar outcrys around the country if not the world if the beckett/maggots complex is neutered, hopefully that will be just for the moto gp race

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy