Best 2009 driver (according team bosses)

Posted by Ali 
Re: Best 2009 driver (according team bosses)
Date: November 19, 2009 09:11PM
Posted by: gav
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gav, you seriously need to get Rosbergs cock out
> of your mouth ;) Rosberg was good, but not the
> best IMO.

The thing is, I'm not even a Rosberg fan. I'm just staggered that he's received so little praise. He probably didn't help himself with poor qualifying performances though, which is where a lot of attention went in 2009, but his race performances were fantastic.

His gearbox failed in 1 race, he finished the other 16 races, 12 of which were in the points. Not bad for a midfield car!
Date: November 19, 2009 10:43PM
Posted by: danm
1. Rosberg. Whiffy car, but as Gav highlighted, always the unseen workers chugging away that are the real deal. Silently finishing in the points consistently. Rare. Give him a spectacular car, who knows. Heidfield MK2. I for one am majorly excited and what this boy can do with a fast car under him.

2. Vettel. Yes he had a stonker of a season, but he also made some big schoolboy errors, as did everyone else make smaller ones. Kinda should have done well, given how good the car was. Bonus marks for being a young baby and scoring second place in the WDC - strong minded guy!

3. Kobayashi. Out of his two performances as a whole, impressive, clean AND feisty. Just wish we had him for more of the season.

4. Rubens. Why this guy only seems to drive when something bad happens beats me, but his post-Massa pace was insane. He was a man determined. Shame it faded, and the early season he was merely a sidekick. That said, given the old boys ripe age of 436 years, grandpa Barrichello still has the X-Factor. He gets brownie marks to match those of his incontinence pants.

5. Webber. Meh. He gets this rank as he did good, granted, but when both Red Bulls are winning I think you can safely bet a lot has to do with the car more, again. Still a nice upgrade in ranks from previous years.

Button doesn't get the top 5 for me - his car WAS superior, and I don't think he made the most of it when the others' caught up midseason, regardless of other factors. Yes he won loads of races at the start, but that was with a field miles behind him - he made the best of it, but not spectacular or mindblowing. I think another driver could have done the same in a dominating car. Not open for discussion.

As for Fisi, I am sorry, I use to rave about the guy. Sadly, it goes to prove he can look impressive in a pants car, but then again, a pants car has its day when you see both drivers unusually scoring points and fast lap times. Says more on the car really, doesn't it. Hardly a year round performer, was he? One swan does NOT make a summer. He pretty much sucked in a championship winning Renault... two years in a row, and couldn't manage to arouse the prancing horse after a promising Spa weekend. Hype. Excitement. Utter dissapointment. Sorry Fissi, you are the weakest link... Goodbye!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 10:46PM by danm.
Date: November 19, 2009 11:02PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The thing is, I'm not even a Rosberg fan. I'm just staggered that he's received so little praise.

With Rosberg it is pretty easy to see why IMO. He always went backwards in races. Sure he out classed Nakajima, but that was a given.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 19, 2009 11:06PM
Posted by: HaGGiS
Rosberg seemed to have a good season, but going against him is the fact that he hasn't been measured against a top driver since his first season with Webber. Obviously he will have improved since then, but by how much we will have to wait until next season to find out! Deserves a go in a top car though.

danm Wrote:
> 1. Rosberg. Whiffy car, but as Gav highlighted,
> always the unseen workers chugging away that are
> the real deal. Silently finishing in the points
> consistently. Rare. Give him a spectacular car,
> who knows. Heidfield MK2. I for one am majorly
> excited and what this boy can do with a fast car
> under him.
>
> 2. Vettel. Yes he had a stonker of a season, but
> he also made some big schoolboy errors, as did
> everyone else make smaller ones. Kinda should have
> done well, given how good the car was. Bonus marks
> for being a young baby and scoring second place in
> the WDC - strong minded guy!
>
> 3. Kobayashi. Out of his two performances as a
> whole, impressive, clean AND feisty. Just wish we
> had him for more of the season.
>
> 4. Rubens. Why this guy only seems to drive when
> something bad happens beats me, but his post-Massa
> pace was insane. He was a man determined. Shame it
> faded, and the early season he was merely a
> sidekick. That said, given the old boys ripe age
> of 436 years, grandpa Barrichello still has the
> X-Factor. He gets brownie marks to match those of
> his incontinence pants.
>
> 5. Webber. Meh. He gets this rank as he did good,
> granted, but when both Red Bulls are winning I
> think you can safely bet a lot has to do with the
> car more, again. Still a nice upgrade in ranks
> from previous years.
>
> Button doesn't get the top 5 for me - his car WAS
> superior, and I don't think he made the most of it
> when the others' caught up midseason, regardless
> of other factors. Yes he won loads of races at the
> start, but that was with a field miles behind him
> - he made the best of it, but not spectacular or
> mindblowing. I think another driver could have
> done the same in a dominating car. Not open for
> discussion.

Bit bizarre putting Kobyashi in top 5 based on two performances.
And try telling Nakajima that Kobayashi was 'clean'. You say Button wasn't spectacular and another driver could have done the same. Well your #4 proved that isn't necessarily the case!

"No it's not a skirt"
Date: November 19, 2009 11:33PM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis Wrote:
> With Rosberg it is pretty easy to see why IMO. He
> always went backwards in races.

Odd, given that qualifying was his weak link and totted up he gained 6 places in races (not including non-classifications) over the season.
Date: November 19, 2009 11:37PM
Posted by: danm
(noun) best
the supreme effort one can make
"they did their best"

adj 1: (superlative of `good';) having the most positive qualities;

adjective 1 of the most excellent or desirable type or quality. 2 most suitable, appropriate, or sensible.

• noun 1 (the best) that which is the most excellent or desirable. 2 (one’s best) the highest standard one can reach. 3 (in sport) a record performance.

my choices! everyones own choices! define 'best'! :P

For me, Kobayashi, as a rookie with not much to his name prior to his first race weekend, at such short notice, was something of great recognition to me. I certainly remember his as an impressive debut, far more than what I remember of other drivers of recent times. So out of those two weekends, and using that as his 100% of his F1 experience, it was pretty mighty. Ok, he didn't win, but you dont have to win to get recognition. 'Best Drivers' in regards to best what exactly? Kobayashi was not just the best rookie debut for me, but best excitement, least expected, the surprise, etc. Lots of areas, but theres no 'best exactly for these reasons...' definitive.

Rubens began the season as a bit of a 'has-been'. An old guy who was well past doing anything good, and was lingering his days away. He is old, but he did do some favourable drives many of his old class and age have tried and pretty much failed and faded. The fact he is still the most experienced by a country mile and has been signed on for yet another year speaks volumes. That, for me, is impressive, as too were his drives for an old man in relation to what we saw Fisi, Trulli etc pull. That deserves recognition.

I said Button wasn't spectacular, well, he pulled some great drives, but I'd probably have to rewatch the start of the season to remind myself how good they were. But I don't have to rewatch Mika victories or some of Alonso/Kimis to be reminded - I just remember them. That is kinda the airy gap feeling I get with Jenson's - I just dont find them as memorable to me - except maybe the season opener, or him running back after Monaco, and maybe one more.

'Anyone could have won them' in reference to Jenson winning loads at the start of the season - OK I will be first to admit I worded that wrong. Why didn't Rubens win them? Well, we get onto a whole kettle of fish discussing factors into that - things like Jenson favouritism if you buy that; the team was built around him if that is your fancy. Etc, everyone chooses something, some sort of angle to view it. We all see it differently, it is just that I think Rubens really is a bit past it and doesn't have the edge of a top driver, Jenson is better than him I'd say. In that case, out of the two, Jenson SHOULD win more, which he did, so that just reiterates my feeling. The fact Rubens DID manage to win a few himself, despite being ranked not as good as Button in my view, makes his wins both more surprising, and more enjoyable. Everyone seems to like an underdog, and when you aren't the best and you come out best, it is quite something!

If an aboriginee takes on Megatron... and you hear megatron grinding to a crushing defeat whilst Captain Kangaroo is dancing liek a loon, you know it is a David and Goliath story, and the fact the Abbo beat the futuristic robot is like... holy cow! You'd expect megatron to win but no....

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 20, 2009 11:46AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
SchueyFan schreef:
> For anyone too lazy, here are the results:
>
> 1. Sebastian Vettel 76
> 2. Jenson Button 67
> 3. Lewis Hamilton 65
> 4. Fernando Alonso 39
> 5. Rubens Barrichello 35
> 6= Kimi Raikkonen 30
> 6= Mark Webber 30
> 8. Felipe Massa 19
> 9. Robert Kubica 10
> 10. Adrian Sutil 8

Quite odd I would say, Hamilton finished 1 point in front of Kimi, yet he had alot more chances on the win then Kimi, He did equally good as Kimi I would say, but 35 points ahead? Nah. Furtherless Alonso is quite useless in there, I didn't really found him great this season, rather avarage. Same with Sutil, he had some good speed from time to time, but abit like Rosberg, when he was there he screwed up. Furtherless Sebastian/Button is about right, though it should have been closer, after all Seb did crash from time to time and make mistakes, where as Button was slow in the last half, but did finish.

Date: November 20, 2009 12:48PM
Posted by: gareth
danm Wrote:
>
> If an aboriginee takes on Megatron... and you hear
> megatron grinding to a crushing defeat whilst
> Captain Kangaroo is dancing liek a loon, you know
> it is a David and Goliath story, and the fact the
> Abbo beat the futuristic robot is like... holy
> cow! You'd expect megatron to win but no....

Dude... what? I get what you're trying to say but that has to be the most bizarre analogy!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy