Italian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by turkey_machine 
Re: Italian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: September 23, 2008 12:31AM
Posted by: watercolours
Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is.
Date: September 23, 2008 08:04AM
Posted by: marcl
I heard that they played the joker engine as well, maybe they had to change the engine after Saturday practice?
Date: September 23, 2008 09:30AM
Posted by: gav
P-ranha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting, it seems to imply Massa change of
> engine was just a normal change after two races
> but I thought he had used his joker engine this
> weekend or am I misreading something ?

No it doesn't. 28.4f states:

Except during the last Event of the Championship season, each driver will be permitted to use a replacement engine without incurring a penalty the first time this becomes necessary during the season.

Anyway, I can't find any record of Massa having played his 'joker' previously. Everything comes back to the Italian event.
Date: September 23, 2008 09:38AM
I am sure I read an interview with Ron that said kimi had his changed for GB and Massa for Italy.

I can only think that they found a problem with the engine fitted on sat so they had to change it again. But as you say can not find it anywhere.
Date: September 23, 2008 09:53AM
As far as I'm aware, you don't have to run your race engine on the Friday. Could swear I heard that somewhere, but after a quick glance through 28, I can't see it. Perhaps I just dreamt it. :\

Anyway, if that does exist, perhaps it extends to the Saturday practice too.
Date: September 23, 2008 10:21AM
Friday is a new engine.

They then fit the race engine for Saturday and this has to last the final practise quali and the race x 2.

Massa though was due an engine change for Monza so I dont know why Ron said they used there joker. Unless there was a problem with the engine when they 1st ran it but no problem was reported.
Date: September 23, 2008 11:10AM
Posted by: J i m
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as I'm aware, you don't have to run your
> race engine on the Friday. Could swear I heard
> that somewhere, but after a quick glance through
> 28, I can't see it. Perhaps I just dreamt it. :\

No, I'm pretty sure that you are correct. The intention of extending practice on Friday was to effectively make it like a test day, in which the teams can do pretty much as they please (within reason) including running a different engine to which they race.

And if we look back to mid season, Alonso had a series of car failures, oil leaks etc both in testing and in Friday practice at the Grand Prix. And he remarked at the time that perhaps the team didn't prepare the test engine (used on Friday), quite as carefully as the race engine.
Date: September 23, 2008 11:11AM
Posted by: P-ranha
[www.autosport.com]

According to this article Massa did use his joker engine at Monza but only had it fitted after qualifying rather than the beginning of the weekend so I guess that could explain it
Date: September 23, 2008 12:30PM
Posted by: J i m
With Monza being one of the if the most throttle happy tracks, Ferrari felt that they didn't want to risk losing an engine (on it's second race) like what happened at Hungary and Valencia.
Date: September 23, 2008 03:31PM
Posted by: sasjag
it says in that bloody document Massa changed his engine after qually

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: September 23, 2008 03:47PM
....yes?

It was his 'joker'. Christ, there's got a to be a better term for it than 'joker'...
Date: September 23, 2008 03:49PM
Posted by: sasjag
marc1 appears to be confused as to if he used his joker, and my point is its not like the FIA use autosport to check whether the engines have been changed before

apologies if i misunderstood marc ;)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: September 23, 2008 04:19PM
I don't think the FIA used Autosport ;-)

All I could find was that he used his joker in Monza. I couldn't see anything else suggested.
Date: September 24, 2008 01:36PM
yes he did have a 2nd engine change, the FIA report was given at the start of the weekend to say who changed their engines.

Massa had a problem after quali and needed a new one.

This could affect them in the remaining races.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2008 02:09PM by marcl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy