But Bernies got it right

Posted by Ellis 
But Bernies got it right
Date: May 25, 2002 04:22AM
Posted by: Ellis
ITV-F1

Bernie Ecclestone has warned Ferrari not to fix the result of the Monaco GP.

The F1 supremo is furious at the way Rubens Barrichello handed victory to Michael Schumacher at the A1-Ring and has hinted the team will be punished if they pull the same trick at Monte Carlo this weekend.

He told the Sun: "Ferrari would be ill advised to do such a thing in the future.

"The only time I would condone it would be if the world championship hung on it. But Michael is 27 points clear."

Ecclestone was most angry at the blatant way in which Ferrari enforced team orders, with Barrichello slowing down just yards from the line.

He said: "It was the way they did it that upset me. They could have performed it more elegantly or disguised it.

"But the way they carried it out insulted people. I am not surprised by the reaction. What happened wasn't good for Formula 1 but I don't see why the sport should be punished by an incident from one team.

"If they were to repeat it, that would not go down well with the fans - nor me. So many people want to see someone beat Schumacher but in Austria they were cheated out of that."

Ecclestone reckons the outrage that greeted the decision will ensure that Ferrari learn their lesson.

He said: "I am sure that had they known what the reaction from the fans was going to be, they wouldn't have let it happen."

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy