Herbert is next to voice his opinions on MS

Posted by Bruno_dc 
Herbert is next to voice his opinions on MS
Date: May 22, 2002 02:52AM
Posted by: Bruno_dc
from f1-live.com:

According to reports in the British press, ex-Formula One driver Johnny Herbert has slammed Michael Schumacher for his conduct in Austria nearly two weeks ago.

The Englishman, who is currently competing in the ALMS series, reflected back to his time as the German's teammate back in 1995 when they were both competing for Benetton and can't understand how Michael can think of himself as a Formula One champion because at least three out of the four titles already to his credit were secured from the sacrifices of others.

While Michael has easily dominated his teammates throughout the years of his Formula One career, Johnny remembers only too well how they are forced to take the back seat, maybe not as blatant as Rubens actions in Austria, something Herbert fully believes was the wrong call from Ferrari.

According to the London Evening Standard, Herbert claims the Italian team's actions went against the grain of racing and that Schumacher shouldn't be happy with the way he is winning, as it doesn't define a true champion, something that is earned by beating the best on the day fair and square.

As fans are all too aware of, Barrichello has been closing the gap to Schumacher dramatically in the past few races, however after signing a new two year contract, the Brazilian had no other option than to follow orders in Austria and allow the second victory of his F1 career to pass him by.

"I know what it's like to be Michael's teammate," Herbert was quoted as saying. "In Michael's position I would never behave as he does because I would never feel that I had properly won the world title. At least three of his four world titles have been won with help. I don't remember Ayrton Senna or Alain Prost ever needing anything like that. The whole point of racing is that the best man wins. I don't know how he can feel he's really world champion, although I'm sure he will be champion again this year. He has won by batting down his own teammate, and it's not the first time he's done it. This year at the San Marino Grand Prix he took Rubens' car when Rubens was quicker than him before qualifying. But ordering Rubens to give way wasn't fair but if he'd refused, I'm sure they'd have got rid of him.
Re: Herbert is next to voice his opinions on MS
Date: May 22, 2002 07:34AM
Posted by: Mark
why has he slammed michael,ferrari bosses gave the order,what sort of help is he implying he got,94 his team mates were no where near him to help him out,you only had to see where they qualified when ms was banned to see how good they were.

won 95 easily,what assistance was johhny to michael.

2000,i seem to remember rubens pace at time was embbarrasing,and at one point he even lapped him that year.

2001 pissed it again,rubens moved over in austria,though michael won the championship in hungary.

the only team mate he helped michael the most was irvine,again in austria he moved over,and for quite a few races keeping the mclarens at bay while michael scampered off,but those were years he didn't win the championship.

so to make a point he doesn't deserve 3 of them is ridiculous and i can only point out that this year his team mate has got to him,just look at how often hes been outqualified.

damon hill once made a point that in 95 he had to battle not only schumacher but also his team mate,and that if they had raced as a team he might of got a better shot at the title that year.

yes the team michaels in do throw everything in behind him,and the result is the championship,or you can have no team orders and take each other off the road.
Date: May 22, 2002 09:10AM
Posted by: _Alex_
yes the team michaels in do throw everything in behind him,and the result is the championship,or you can have no team orders and take each other off the road.

Exactly, and it's the way Michael work's that allows him to win championships. He ensures he always has all the right people around him, and he developed the environment in which he now races.

You may complain all you like that Schumacher has all the team focus on him - but the fact is, he has worked for that, and he deserves it. And the reason it works out right is that he has the incredible talent to justify it.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 22, 2002 10:18AM
Posted by: LS.
You may complain all you like that Schumacher has all the team focus on him - but the fact is, he has worked for that, and he deserves it. And the reason it works out right is that he has the incredible talent to justify it.

a talent so incredible that irvine only missed out on a world title at the final race when he was in exactly the same position as MS

When you look at it that way, it kind of puts thing into perspective

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 22, 2002 10:57AM
it's the fact mclaren had the best car for 99,and even with ms out with his broken leg,mclaren should of had that championship wrapped up with a few races to go,but instead they allowed their drivers to race each other,take points off each other,tip mika out in austria,and mika himself tried his best to throw it away in imola and monza,i'm sure ron dennis told mika it's good to cry as he threw away ten points.

it's only team orders at ferrari that gave irvine his chance,the only races he really won was austria and australia,mika salo handed him the race in hockenheim,and the selfish arrogant only in it for himself michael schumacher handed him the race in malaysia,and still irvine required michaels help for suzuka,not helped by coulthard not moving over again when ms tried to lap him.

obviously the equiptment was that bad herbert won two races in 95,and finished 4th in the championship only beaten by michael and the 2 williams.
boy what a crap year you had johhny.
Date: May 22, 2002 11:33AM
irvine only missed out on a world title at the final race when he was in exactly the same position as MS

Let's face it, that's generally because Hakkinen screwed up badly towards the end of the year. With that 1999 McLaren, he should have wrapped up the championship much earlier. My everlasting regret is that Frentzen's championship challenged diminished after the European GP. I so would have loved to see him win that championship :(

I think Irvine is a very good driver, but not a patch on Schumacher.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 22, 2002 11:51AM
i agree, it would've been a fantastic result for frentzen to crowned world champion,

if you were to tell any one about that who has only been watching F1 for the past 2 years, he would'nt beleive that a driver in a jordan was in with a shout at the championship, given the competitiveness since then

LS's Tip of the week
Date: May 22, 2002 12:03PM
Yes, it's a shame, while other teams may have slowly gone downhill, Jordan has dropped straight off a cliff. Let's hope they can climb back up again. They got a decent foot-hold with those 2 points in Austria.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 22, 2002 12:12PM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

"a talent so incredible that irvine only missed out on a world title at the final race when he was in exactly the same position as MS"

Lets remember that MS was the ferrari fav until he broke his leg in Silverstone. Had Irvine been getting the treatment he got after that at the start of the season, then irvine would also have been world champion, no doubt about that.

99 was the best year. Coming into the last races, Mika, Eddie, Ralf, HHF and DC could all win the title. That was great :)

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: May 22, 2002 12:21PM
It was an exciting championship towards the end, but I don't think Ralf was really in with a chance :/

It was only four-way, between all those mentioned otherwise. It would have been nice to have a four-driver showdown.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 22, 2002 12:42PM
yeah that just remind me when JV, MS, and frentzen all posted the exact same qualifying lap in 97 :-)

LS's Tip of the week
Date: May 22, 2002 02:09PM
it was really mclarens failure to wrap up the title that enabled irvine to be in with a chance,and if ferrari didn't have team orders then irvine would of lost points to salo who handed him the german gp,and michael who handed him the malaysia gp.

i think it should also be mentioned that mika salo finished 3rd at monza,irvine was 5th or 6th and he beat him fairly,so even though irvine had the team behind him at that point,salo who had just come into a new team and wouldn't of had the best equiptment as that was know going to irvine,did beat him in monza and would of beaton him in germany if he wasn't told to move over
Date: May 22, 2002 02:14PM
it just goes to show that with herbert finishing 4th in 95,not getting support or the best equiptment off benetton that he still beat both ferraris in the championship,shows what a crap car ms inherited,you can have the best people on the pit wall but if the car is crap u need a damn good driver,and the fact that ms turned the tables and beat both benettons in 96 shows what a good job he did
Date: May 22, 2002 02:36PM
it just goes to show that with herbert finishing 4th in 95,not getting support or the best equiptment off benetton that he still beat both ferraris in the championship,shows what a crap car ms inherited

ferrari were gearing up MS coming to them, now if they were paying a $20,000000 wage bill for him, do you not think they would have pulled out all the stops to make sure the 96 spec car was going to be up to
speed.

the benneton in 95 was a good car or else MS would'nt have been worldchamp & herbert would'nt have won 2 gp's himself, infact the bennetton was that good it even beat williams to the constructors title

i'm not sure if your aware mark, but every year the FIA bring out different dimensions for the cars and under tray and engines etc, what makes you think that a fast car is suddenly not capable of becoming a crap car???

take a look at jordan, in 99 frentzen was in with a shout of the world title, the following year, nothing

LS's Tip of the week
Date: May 23, 2002 01:12AM
Yo Sup

It doesnt matter if McLaren messed up in 99. If Ferrari had given Irvine priority at the start of the year than he would certailnly have been world champ! No dobut about it!

Now that either says that Irvine is better than we all thot, or MS isnt as good?

Ferrari messed up that year and if the same happens again (MS out for some reason) then they will be in trouble again

What else is going to hurt Ferrari is this - They arent looking for future talent or anything.

Renault have Alonso testing, Williams have Gene. Ferrari STILL waste thousands of miles of driver evaluation time on Luca Badoer.

They really whould work on someone for when MS leaves

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: May 23, 2002 01:23PM
Posted by: Bruno_dc
Don't forget that in 2000 MS took the title because McLaren screwed up in the first few races of the year. You see, losing or winning a championship is often down to mistakes that are made or not...
Date: May 23, 2002 02:49PM
yes,but he still had to win those races,your obviously of the opinion ferrari don't win races, mclaren just lose them,the 3rd race of 2000,mika and dc were 2nd and 3rd,ms won that fair and square.

so any other driver that wins a race now didn't really win,ms just lost it.it's all getting a bit silly.
bit like dc didn't really win monaco 2000,ms retired,so if that hadn't happened dc wouldn't of won.

anymore excuses why he doesn't seserve his titles.

and what happened to the montoya getting ms cartoon that was doing the rounds at the start of the season,got a bit embarrasing has it,all he was going to do to ms,all words no action jpm,wonder if he'll drive into the barriers again like he did at monaco last year,will dc get stuck behind webber this year and will ron dennis threaten him,those nice fair people at mclaren.
Date: May 23, 2002 03:03PM
Posted by: chris
"those fair people at mclaren"

That's incredible. Even after the events in austria you can call mclaren unfair. What a joke.

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: May 23, 2002 03:51PM
and what happened to the montoya getting ms cartoon that was doing the rounds at the start of the season,got a bit embarrasing has it,all he was going to do to ms,all words no action jpm

so mark, would it be fair to say that the 2002 williams is'nt really a match for the ferrari ( no other car come to that) and the michelins not performing as well, have anything to do with it?

but if MS is as good as you keep protesting about, how come he's had to take the car rubens was driving, copy rubens setups, & and the actual team ( yes even the team agree) had to concede michael could'nt keep up with rubens and made him pull up to let MS through?

this sums it up perfectly Q: Michael do you want to win the world championship because you are the best racer or because you have got the best contract? MS: (No comment)

does'nt sound too good to me now he has a team mate with equal equipment

wonder how long MS will let this happen?

he'll go running along to JT complaing that he feels the team are dividing the strength of the team between 2 drivers instead of making him look better than he actually is

LS's Tip of the week
Date: May 24, 2002 01:08AM
Yo Sup

Dam you LS, i was about to post that question there too!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy