Best overtaking move ever....

Posted by jim 
Best overtaking move ever....
Date: May 01, 2002 07:46AM
Posted by: jim
This should kick off a good 'un...

do you judge on balls (Villeneuve overtaking MS at Jerez 96) or brains (Hakkinen on MS Belgium)?
Re: Best overtaking move ever....
Date: May 01, 2002 08:29AM
Posted by: chris
Balls. That's what you need to be an f1 driver. Obviously they're all intelligent, but to try moves like jerez 97 or JV's move round the outside of MS at Estoril ( I think) you gotta be damn brave.

Chris J
Date: May 01, 2002 09:24AM
Posted by: LS.
i think the mansell/senna overtaking manoevere at spain was the best, wheel to wheel barely an inch apart

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 01, 2002 09:27AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Hmm its a good topic, many different good overtaking manoveres :D

I cant really decide the best one for me :S. I thought the best set of overtaking driving was Villenueve & Arnoux (in Dijon 1979 i think) that was pure class

Date: May 01, 2002 01:59PM
Posted by: matthewp
Mansell just made so many great overtaking moves, that one round the outside of Berger was class, I can't remember the track though hmm......
Date: May 01, 2002 02:53PM
Posted by: _Alex_
We've had this a few times before...

[php-service.de]

[www.php-service.de]

My favourite pass is Mansell on Senna at Hungary in 1989. I just can't stop watching it. Mansell's reflexes and his initiative are quite outstanding, and it wasn't just any old driver he was passing either. It was Senna. The way he jinks out so fast and swoops around the outside of the McLaren is mesmorising.

I also find Mansell's pass on Piquet at the British GP of '87 incredible too. The dummy along the Hangar straight was classic, and then the banging of wheels through Stowe was something to behold.

Then of course there is Ickx's move on Lauda at Brands in the '74 RoC. I've never actually seen footage of it, but I've seen pictures, and heard many an account from my Dad who actually watched it happen. To pass Lauda around the outside of Paddock Hill in the wet is quite amazing.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 02, 2002 01:35AM
Posted by: tost
1. senna in GP Europa - first lap from 6 to 1 in one lap on the wet and slicks(i think)
2. hakkinen 2000. spa
3. senna over prost in monaco 1988(1989?)
4. jpm over shumy brasil 2001
5. shumy over jpm 2001 austria

thare was lots of great overtaking but i put up these few (sentimental resons)

Senna the Man... the King... the God!
Date: May 02, 2002 05:17AM
when did shumy overtake JPM is Austria '01? I might be wrong but he tried several times and eventually both drivers ended up off the road, I think Melbourne this year was the first time MS passed JPM
Date: May 02, 2002 12:09PM
Posted by: Bruno_dc
Definetely Senna's first lap round Donington in '93. Pure class!

Hakkinen on Shumi in Spa 2000 was great too. I was there and enjoyed the look on those German faces all around me ... suckers!
Date: May 02, 2002 09:37PM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
schummi woudl ahve pulled off a great move on jpm at austria 01 of jpm had brains and didn't try to cheat by braking way after the corners braking point (stupidly), causign schummi off the road

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: May 03, 2002 02:44AM
yes you right, but it was dam god fight

Date: May 03, 2002 02:47AM
you didn't read for sentimental reasons

Date: May 03, 2002 03:16AM
Posted by: LS.
schummi woudl ahve pulled off a great move on jpm at austria 01 of jpm had brains and didn't try to cheat by braking way after the corners braking point (stupidly), causign schummi off the road

what??

c'mon your being a bit over top here, this particular incident was down to 2 competitive drivers with the attitude of " well i'm going to out brake you this time" and both drivers went off

i thought it was fantastic and exciting to watch, we need more of this, and hopefully the williams/michelin package will soon be ale to compete with the ferrari/bridgestone package

we want more of this!!!

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 03, 2002 03:46AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

" jpm had brains and didn't try to cheat by braking way after the corners braking point (stupidly), causign schummi off the road"

Oh god, here we go again.

Right then if MS had the brains not to cheat like hell in 94 by hitting hill and then in Jerez 97 hitting JV then we wouldnt moan at him as much, An MS fan can NOT moan bout drivers taking MS out cos he does it all the time.

Please think about your arguments before posting. Also this is a post about the best passing move, not about how much you can kiss up to MS, theres many more posts where you can do that.

Best passing moves was definalty Villenuve and Arnoux at Dijon, that was amazing.

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: May 03, 2002 07:02AM
exactly, plus I don't see how it would have been a great move anyway, that corner is a perfect overtaking spot, MS had the better car and he'd already had about 5 tries how the hell does getting in the slipstream and TRYING to outbreak someone into a hairpin constitute a great overtaking move, thats just the standard text book move, great moves are unusual or particularly clever or brave in some way. hakkinen on MS at Spa was really clever and any of Mansell's were unusual, clever and extremely brave.
Date: May 03, 2002 07:04AM
Posted by: Zcott
Mansell's move around the outside of Berger at Mexico in 19somethingorother was an amazing move. Really fantastic. His move on Piquet at Silverstone a few years before that was fairly rad, too.
Date: May 03, 2002 09:06AM
Posted by: chris
Maybe Skaifey's point shows how f1 has gone downhill, I mean, if that's as good as it gets, do we really want it? Mansell's moves WERE good, not textbook stuff.

Chris J
Date: May 03, 2002 12:04PM
An MS fan can NOT moan bout drivers taking MS out cos he does it all the time.

Can you back up that statement? Name a time in the past 5 years that Schumacher has done anything remotely similar to Jerez '97 - bearing in mind that fact that Schumi was unsighted at Canada in '98, and that it was a pure accident. I had to verify that because I knew you'd all jump to that example despite it's innocent nature.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 03, 2002 03:22PM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

"Can you back up that statement? Name a time in the past 5 years that Schumacher has done anything remotely similar to Jerez '97"

Ok, name a time when the other drivers do it then? Ms has done it more than average driver and he did it on purpose, what other driver have done this?

See, i think ppl can change, but IMO MS has got worse. This can easliy happen at the starts.

The FIA claim that any driver who causes an accident will be in trouble. So if MS swearves accross the track and then someone touches him adn theres an accident whos fault? Well MS aint gona get in @!#$, not with the current sttus of the FIA.

" I knew you'd all jump to that example despite it's innocent nature"

yeah, looked real inoccent to me

The point is MS will do anything to win, which is sad cos this shows that F1 is clearly the most important thing in his life. He risks his and others lives unnessecerally by doing these.

Im sick of him, i want him out of the sport, there would be less trouble without him, cos lets face it, 8 out of 10 times if theres a problem in F1, MS or Ferrari are somehow involved

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: May 04, 2002 07:23AM
Ms has done it more than average driver and he did it on purpose, what other driver have done this?

Senna. Prost. Coulthard.

Im sick of him, i want him out of the sport, there would be less trouble without him, cos lets face it, 8 out of 10 times if theres a problem in F1, MS or Ferrari are somehow involved

No controversey = No interest. That's a fact of life and the sooner you come to appreciate that, the sooner you'll come to appreciate what Schumacher has actually done to aid the sport.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy