rich boys

Posted by Zaahir 
rich boys
Date: April 29, 2002 06:34AM
Posted by: Zaahir
i'm sick of this. yoong's proven how pathetic he is. the only reason he's there is because of the 'KL' on the minardi. he just pays them for a drive. and its not like minardi's gonna say "mmmmmmmm no thanks, we want good drivers, who will end up finishing in the same damn spot yoong would". its the same with half the drivers in F1. little do we know that millions are being payed so that drivers keep their spot. its the sad fact of motorsport, and sadly its affected every form of it. i cant even get into karting, and am really struggling with the costs.

motorsport is a rich man's game. and that really does suck.

:(
Re: rich boys
Date: April 29, 2002 10:57AM
Posted by: Zcott
motorsport is a rich man's game. and that really does suck.

I'd go as far as saying that if it wasn't a rich man's game, then it wouldn't be as popular as it actually is today. Money feeds F1. More more more more more, and F1 needs Yoong. Actually, there have been many worse drivers than Yoong.

Giovanni Lavaggi would be one.
Date: April 30, 2002 09:06AM
yoong was just the perfect example of a paying driver. there are MANY more u guys dunno about.
Date: April 30, 2002 06:30PM
Why do you presume we know less than you do?
Date: May 01, 2002 01:11AM
Posted by: _Alex_
Lol that's a good point Zcott and an answer would be much appreciated...

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 01, 2002 04:29AM
Posted by: Ellis
yo Sup

LOL Zcott!!!!

I cant wait for a reply to that one

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: May 02, 2002 12:12AM
errrrr, i didnt say i did know more than u, cocky bastards :)

its just a presumption that all F1 drivers are being payed millions for each drive they get. sure, some of them are. but most are not.
Date: May 02, 2002 07:19AM
I'd say that most of them *are* being payed over $1 million. Even the paying drivers get a small retainer. When Diniz drove for Arrows in '97, he was paying $8m for the drive, but also got paid $500,000.

The only ones who would probably be getting paid less than $1m would be:

- Webber
- Yoong
- Bernoldi
- Massa
- Heidfeld
- Sato

Anyway, this leads on to another topic: are F1 costs spiralling out of control? Apparently there's three or four teams who could be forced out of F1 as early as next year....
Date: May 02, 2002 08:33AM
Posted by: LS.
the reason theres not enough money in F1 is mainly due to the tv money from advertisers,

figures released not long ago showed that the veiwing figures were at a all time low for the modern era

people are saying that the races are too predictable and not enough overtaking, making the championship boring.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 02, 2002 08:37AM
Posted by: chris
And those people would be right.

Some people say f1 is exciting just to watch a driver's skill and incredible car control...but for 60 odd laps?! No way, something has to be done.

Chris J
Date: May 03, 2002 12:16AM
u cant make the laps lower. thats wat F1 basically is: a marathon of concentration (finding it somehow out of being smashed around by G-forces). so if u lower the laps, the essence of F1 gets taken away.

and this money thing is getting out of hand. i don't know how ur local motorsport is doing, but here in south africa, it really is in turmoil. there are hardly any sponsors who are willing to sponsor lower forms of motorsport (ie karting, etc), and even our national superbikes coverage on tv is gonna be cancelled because there are no sponsors!!! this money thing is getting out of hand. i just hope we don't see this happen to F1 later on, and if it does, i see it happening also when there are no good drivers replacing the retired ones, since the 'building blocks' of motorsport are WAY too expensive.
Date: May 10, 2002 10:45PM
Posted by: Piranha
Good discussion,

If you cant make the laps lower then perhaps you can make some excitement. One example would be when they put tyres on the first two chichanes at Monza. This made the GP more exciting cos you were just waiting for someone to hit the tyres and spin off. We want to see more PASSING. Apparently, they will go back to slicks or reduce the grooves in the tyres. I also believe that the reason there is no passing is because the ever widening gap b/n the teams. Its basically Ferrari, Williams, McLaren vs everybody in the middle of the field.
Date: May 11, 2002 12:20AM
Posted by: Boils
I think it was Murry Walker who once said that F1 is the ultimate in speed, skill and bravery, now it seems its just the ultimate in speed and it wasnt long ago they were thinking of making all cars 3L 6 cylinders or something

Find away to take traction control out and that will bring back the skill

bring back turbo's and slicks and get rid of all the penalties for trying to overtake (JPM in Malaysia) that will bring back the bravery and make the racing more exciting.

I want to see more battles and even more crashes, lets face it F1 crashes are great to watch and the first corner is always exciting (Australia this year)

If the drivers were not so worried about getting penalties for overtaking they'd be more wreckless with overtaking moves and we'd see some action

I think F1 drivers should be paid by how entertaining they are too watch.

atm i think we are seeing too much of a parade been good watching the Renaults VS the McLarens though, F1 needs to be like that all the way up the grid.

My point being that F1 needs to be more exciting so that more ppl watch and sponsors will pay more money.
Date: May 11, 2002 03:55AM
Yeah.

But turbos cant be reintroduced, cos at the time the rich teams had them, whilst the others did not. It ended up as two races; turbos vs turbos, normallly aspirated vs normally aspirated.

Chris J
Date: May 11, 2002 04:34AM
Posted by: Vader
Turbo sucks if it comes to acceleration, it builds up speed slower than normally aspirated engines. Even in CART there will be no turbos anymore from 2004 on.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 11, 2002 07:50AM
That's why honda are pulling out I believe. They can't develop a totally different engine in that time period.

Chris J
Date: May 11, 2002 11:26AM
Honda pulls out to concentrate on F1. They have a lot do there. Actually it would be easier for the engine designers when both series are using normally aspirated engines.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 11, 2002 01:16PM
Not really, because it would still mean designing a brand new engine for cart...you cant use the same engine for both.

Also the amount of financial input required to design, test and produce a new type of engine (at least in that series) would be phenomenal.

I'm happy to see them concentrating on F1, its been a half - arsed job for too long by them...let's see honda how they used to be.

Chris J
Date: May 11, 2002 01:40PM
I fear they will not only concentrate on F1, but also on one team only. Sadly it looks like the owner of this team will not be called Eddie Jordan.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 11, 2002 02:11PM
Cosworth have said this weekend they would provide engines for jordan next year...which I think is better than Honda, though they will have to pay a lot.

Chris J
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy