AUSTRALIA QUALIFYING

Posted by Xero 
AUSTRALIA QUALIFYING
Date: March 01, 2002 08:52PM
Posted by: Xero
Boy did that turn into a big disappointment! Not only did the session get spoiled with bad weather, but it looks as though Ferrari's old car is thrashing McLaren and Williams!!! Now, I think if would be fair to say Ferrari had an advantage with the weather, as they used the same car last year, so they would have been a huge step ahead of the others in terms of car set-up! I think if it was boiling hot (like usual!) then McLaren, and Williams, would have been right up there, if not above... but 'm going on here as if Ferrari were miles ahead... they weren't!!! It'll be interesting to see what happens at tommorows race, and more importantly, the rest of the season in terms of Ferrari's 2002 car!

Predications;
1. Coulthard - COME ON DC!!!!
2. Barrichello
3. R. Schumacher
4. Trulli
5. Raikonnen
6. Montoya

DNF. M. Schumacher - after spinning off at first corner! ;)
Re: AUSTRALIA QUALIFYING
Date: March 01, 2002 08:54PM
And another thing I forgot to mention.... the tyres did and will have a big part in tommorows race! Here's me hoping for blazing sunshine!! (good for Michelins, and for DC)
Date: March 02, 2002 02:27AM
Posted by: _Alex_
but I'm going on here as if Ferrari were miles ahead... they weren't!!!

Since when has half a second not been miles ahead? The Ferraris absolutely blitzed the field, and it was not just because of the weather. Coulthard, Montoya, Ralf, Raikkonen were all out at the same time as the Ferraris.

And what impressed me most was Schumi's quick lap - 4 tenths down on pole in the second sector, then six tenths quicker at the end of the lap! Stunning!

But Rubens B was the man, what a great qualifying! It's a shame about Sato, but at least he is going to race. And Webber hardly did badly for himself did he!? I was pretty impressed with his 18th. And expect to see those Saubers right up there tomorrow!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 02, 2002 02:31AM
McLaren are clearly sand-baging, they can do much better

Well they haven't proved it yet...

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 02, 2002 05:29AM
Posted by: LS.
you could quite clearly see that montoya was blocked by a slower car on his fast run, and did'nt get out in time before the weather changed.

and rubens was the lucky man today, on the track at the optimum moment to get pole.

i expect he actually beleives that he'll get a shot at going for it in the race tomorrow

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: March 02, 2002 08:19AM
Say what you like, but in my opinion, that session did not prove who has the fastest car! Sure, Ferrari blitzed it... but as I said (and even M. Schumacher hinted!!!!!) they were quick because they had the advantage of having done this circuit last year in the same car - they already knew what changes to make to the car to make it better in that conditions... everyone else were using new cars... you simply cannot use the set-up from last year, as the cars handle different!

I am sure Ferrari will be quick tommorow!... but in wet conditions anything can happen! Sure MS is the so called "rainmaster".... doesn't mean someone my not shunt him off!! Possibly a Ferrari collision! Possibly Montoya!! ;)
Date: March 02, 2002 08:22AM
what was interesting was when rubens was asked if we could expect a straight fight tomorrow between him and MS, he said he did'nt know and they would have to talk about it.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: March 02, 2002 09:26AM
I am sure Ferrari will be quick tommorow!... but in wet conditions anything can happen! Sure MS is the so called "rainmaster".... doesn't mean someone my not shunt him off!! Possibly a Ferrari collision! Possibly Montoya!! ;)

Yeah I understand and agree with what you're saying. After all, anything can happen in Formula One, and it usually does!

he said he did'nt know and they would have to talk about it

He didn't say he didn't know, he just said they would talk about it over dinner or something. Bangers and mash.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 02, 2002 10:02AM
the fact of the matter is, even he does'nt know if he'll be allowed to go for the victory, if he does get out in front, i'm sure those nasty ferrari people will make his pitstop last a few vital seconds longer to allow MS in to the lead if rubens decides he wants to win

LS's Tip of the week
Date: March 02, 2002 12:21PM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

Nobody thinks that the Michelins are crap? Williams werent good, nor were McLaren. None of the williamsa car or mclaren cars managed to get good laps in, kimi said he was disappointed. I never seen DC, Kimi, or JPM get a clear run, a good fast run that is, they never got the chance to! The Michilns were pretty crap in those conditions and the rain spoilt the session, there was no actaion for over 20 min :(

"4 tenths down on pole in the second sector, then six tenths quicker at the end of the lap! Stunning!"

Not that stunning if he was 4 tenths down in the first sector. It wasnt s good lap, just two good sectors.

The ferrari worked well cos they have ran it for over a year know, they know the car inside out, they know exaclty how to set up the car for everything, if they still dont know then theres something seriously worng in that team !!

Rubens always seems to get the "supporting" pit statagy, meaning his one is slight slower so if he ends up in front of MS then he will still get beat by him and be able to support him through the race, we have seen it several times

Poor Sato, thats the worst luck possible. A gear change problem caused him to stuff it in the wall that morning so he went into the spare, that gives up and he has to share with Fisi, then its starts to rain :(
His best lap was bout 1:50 or something. I hope he gets in, but i heard Martin say al the teams have to agree, i didnt know this, but if its true i dont think he will get in

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 02, 2002 03:16PM
Yeah the Michelins were crap.... thats cause they prefer hot conditions, unlike the bridgestones.... thats partly the reason Ferrari were so quick!

I understand Barrichello is allowed to go for the win! At the end of ITV's qualifying session broadcast, they said as long as Barrichello is in the lead, he doesn't have to let Schumacher through unless it comprimises MS' championship chances. - it's the first race, so Rubens will go for it, and I mean he WILL go for it!!!
Date: March 02, 2002 03:20PM
Posted by: jordangp2001
you cant really judge anything! from that qual session!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 02, 2002 04:09PM
Posted by: Castroneves
The Qualifying Session was ok, until it rained.

Well done Mark Webber.
Bad Luck Takuma Sato.
Bad Luck: Jaguar.

The Race:

Barrichello gets away first along with Schumi, in the Mid-Field Massa spins under braking and hits Couthard. Meanwhile Yoong left on the grid.
Couthard carrys on going with no damage, Bernoldi limps into the pit with Damage. After lap 1: 1. Barrichello, 2. M Schumacher, 3. Raikkonen, 4. Montoya, 5. Trulli, 6. Fisichella.
On Lap 10 Heidfeld and Schumi 2 collide at the hairpin (turn 15) and both retire.
After the first round of pit stops: 1. M Schumacher, 2. Montoya, 3. Barrichello, 4. Fisichella, 5. Button, 6. Raikkonen.
Montoya and Schumi get in a battle and Montoya goes ahead,
next pit stops, Schumi gets out ahead of Montoya who stalls!
Final Race Results: 1. M Schumacher, 2. Raikkonen, 3. Barrichello, 4. Button, 5. Frentzen, 6. Webber

Only hours to see if this happens now:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy