2009 Red Bull V2

Posted by slider 
2009 Red Bull V2
Date: June 16, 2009 04:57PM
Posted by: slider
I tried quite hard to get used to the 2009 cars, especially with regards to the mud scraper frontwings, but no. I still think that they are fairly ugly. However, today, I used PaintShop Pro and chopped up a 2009 Red Bull, using just my touchpad BTW, just to see what the cars would have looked like if the rules did not change. I narrowed the front wing and lowered the rear wing. I kept the slicks though.Grooves were a bad idea anyway!

Before:

After:

I think the cars would have looked awesome!. BTW: Don't laugh at my pathetic skills with photo editing. Thanks.
Re: 2009 Red Bull V2
Date: June 16, 2009 05:01PM
Posted by: Nickv
I've gotten used to them now. So used in fact that the front wing looks small on the second picture ;)
Date: June 16, 2009 05:24PM
Posted by: kimifanaat
Well I actually like the RBR of 2009!
Date: June 16, 2009 05:33PM
Posted by: msater
Same as Nick, that second picture looks strange and almost ugly now.

As somebody said a while back, will we think the pre 09 cars are ugly in 4-5 months time? I think yes, I see 08's cars as ugly now.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 16, 2009 05:40PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Yeah that second car looks strange now

I just looked at the 2008 Mclaren and thought it looked hideous with those nose wings

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: June 16, 2009 05:42PM
Posted by: tripleM
it is one of the better angles to show off the 2009 car

Date: June 16, 2009 05:54PM
Posted by: chet
I was looking back at some pictures from last year and the rear wing just looked strange!

My main dispute about the 09 regs was that I though we would lose the innovation that we had before (i dont know why!) but its quite the opposite. The 09 cars each look different and have thier own little bits about them.

From that angle 09 deffo looks better!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 16, 2009 06:28PM
Posted by: The Lopper
If you could do a head on comparison between 2008 and 2009, 2008 would win. The rear wing is still what I find ugliest. Other than that 2009s editions look good.
Date: June 16, 2009 06:35PM
Posted by: IWE
Looks a lot better in the 2nd pic, but it would look even better with more stylish shape like on last seasons.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: June 16, 2009 10:26PM
Posted by: J-C-2
To me its exactly the opposite.
2009 i can not get used to them visually, they look
horrible and i still prefer older F1 seasons.

Gp4world aka: Jcaranti
Racing Generation: Web Admin
WE OPENED AGAIN, COME AND JOIN US.
Date: June 17, 2009 12:55PM
Posted by: Monza972
I still prefer the older years cars. What if they had just changed the middle part of the car and kept the wings on the rear and the front the same. It'd be better imo as overtaking hasn't really improved has it?
Date: June 17, 2009 01:31PM
Posted by: gav
Monza972 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still prefer the older years cars. What if they
> had just changed the middle part of the car and
> kept the wings on the rear and the front the same.
> It'd be better imo as overtaking hasn't really
> improved has it?

It has if you remember past last year, which was a bit of a freak year for action.

I'm pleased at how it's worked out. I was fearing they'd be making overtaking easy, but it's not, it's just easier. Cars can run a lot closer to each other, so there's a greater opportunity to profit from mistakes. It's still a challenge to overtake, which is how it should be in single-seaters.

If you look back to the 60's before wings were around, then you'll still not see much overtaking.

If you brake into a corner without making a mistake and are then able to accelerate out of a corner without making a mistake, then it's very hard for the guy behind to overtake you, regardless of aerodynamics.
Date: June 17, 2009 02:37PM
Posted by: flat tyre
This thread reminded me of a mockup of the 2009 car I did last year... I'm surprised how accurate it was, tbh. At the time I thought it might look radically different!

As regards to 2008 cars, I'm surprised at how soon they've started to look odd. The rear wing tends to look massive and low, not aerodynamic at all. I do think the edit of the 2009 Red Bull that Slider did looks very good actually. But, I was one of the people who liked 2009 cars from the start, and that still hasn't changed. The older cars do look in more proportion, but the newer ones are just F1 to me now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 17, 2009 06:12PM
Posted by: EC83
Have to say Flat Tyre, that's a very accurate prediction indeed. What's really striking for me about that pic is how messy the 2007 and 2008 cars were, with so many aero bits sticking out/hanging off. No wonder the air they'd just driven through was ultra-turbulent, considering how hard it must have been worked over all that lot. The 2009 cars look so much cleaner, they're a massive improvement cosmetically, as well as the obvious improvement to the racing of course.

Date: June 17, 2009 06:20PM
Posted by: MrMan
I actually really like the '09 cars, my first reaction when I saw the Toyota (Or whichever car was unveiled first) was that the cars would look even better than the year before. I saw some pics of the '08 BMW and its disgusting, just far too many little flick ups and such.

I don't really notice the out of proportion rear wing anymore, its all very seamless now.

Date: June 17, 2009 11:15PM
Posted by: chet
One element of the 08 cars I miss is the amount of work that must have gone into work around the wake of the front wing/bargeboard/splitter and shadow plate area. Simply amazing. Not even a decade ago you'd see just a simple bargeboard and vortex generator (TM) just in front of the sidepods. The detail from about 2002 was just amazing.

great picture there flat, right about the rear wing though, it just looks abit odd now!

From that angle the front wings look horrible, but from a head on angle I quite like them!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 18, 2009 09:07AM
Posted by: gav
Loving the new cars, even more than I thought I would. The cars from the past 5 years looked bad anyway, and look appalling when looking back now.

flat tyre Wrote:
> This thread reminded me of a mockup of the 2009
> car I did last year... I'm surprised how accurate
> it was, tbh. At the time I thought it might look
> radically different!

So radical it did have mirrors in the end! ;)
Date: June 18, 2009 01:50PM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
I wish they could go back and use the body-layout of 90's car 94~below.....and make just safer, low cockpit + short nose = instant death ;)

Date: June 18, 2009 02:29PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Yeah, the rear wings might not be the prettiest, but let's face it, it's a LOT better than the awful CDG idea.

Date: June 18, 2009 04:52PM
Posted by: IWE
Team CLR Wrote:
> Yeah, the rear wings might not be the prettiest,
> but let's face it, it's a LOT better than the
> awful CDG idea.

Even that CDG idea would look better with this snowplough used in front, than current too thin bookcase look a like "wing".

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy