another thing i decided to share

Posted by mitadumapaga 
another thing i decided to share
Date: April 28, 2011 12:11AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
well, i obviously got nostalgic over the last few days. and in the last 2 days i was watching the bbc tribute to Senna. And i really find two things very, very touching, despite being more a fan of Prost rather than one of Senna.

1) "a special hello to...... my dear, our dear friend, Alain. We all miss you Alain."

2) the commentator says "here they come past us once again, to complete the 6th lap in a great blast of sun" ... and at that moment i just see the helmet of senna in the mirror, getting out of the shadow of the trees around the track and being illuminated of the sun indeed, and just a fraction of a second later it goes in the shadow of the trees once again. That would be the last sunlights senna would have felt.

P.S. everybody blamed schumacher for celebrating after crossing the finish line, but Larini in the ferrari was happier than ever after finishing second.
Re: another thing i decided to share
Date: April 28, 2011 08:27AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
but Larini in the ferrari was happier than ever after finishing second.

Larini scored his first ever podium that race, as an Italian, in Italy, in a Ferrari. That would have been the greatest day of his life, but it was overshadowed by Rolands death the day before (they didn't know Senna had died at that point). He said in the press conference that he was never going to get another shot at it (Alesi was returning from injury), and his one and only podium in such special circumstances was ruined by the horrible events. Whilst it's obviously not comparable to the deaths or Roland and Ayrton, or even the injuries to Lehto, Rubens and the crowd, a thought should go out to Larini who had his one day in the light destroyed. It should be his best day in motorsports, but goes down as one of the blackest in history.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 28, 2011 01:04PM
Posted by: zulu_85
Let's not forget several members of the Ferrari pitcrew ended up in hospital after being hit by a wheel flying off Alboreto's Minardi as he left the pitlane. Would have been yet another horrible mark on Larini's day. :(
Date: April 29, 2011 11:43AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Larini was celebrating because he has just finished second, his greatest F1 result. At this point he was unaware of the seriousness of Senna's accident.

People seem to forget about the magnitude of others' achievements in light of a tragedy, especially when the accused is ignorant of the truth.

When Jeff Krosnoff's corpse still lay by the roadside in Toronto, Adrian Fernandez was blissfully unaware of the severity of what had happened out on track. Back at the pit straight he was similarly criticised for his celebrations by people who had the advantage of watching events unfold from their settee.

Racetracks are big places, with lots of people spread out. The full story does not instantly travel from one side to the other.
Date: April 29, 2011 02:24PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Well Sennas death or not, Roland had died the day before, so it wasn't really a cause for celebration. But I do feel for Larini, as I said.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy