F1 cars on YouTube

Posted by senninho 
F1 cars on YouTube
Date: February 24, 2011 12:47PM
Posted by: senninho
I wouldn't normally bother posting, but the level of stupidity to be found on YouTube is staggering.

The video is an old Footwork Arrows (an FA15 or FA16, IMHO) playing with a Lamborghini on a drag strip. Some of the comments are priceless - apparently it's NOT an F1 car because:

- It 'doesn't sound right'
- It doesn't have Bridgestone tyres
- 'A F1 car is FASTER than any other car in the world'

...and generally because it doesn't disappear into the distance like people think it would. It seems fairly clear - from the way he waves the Lambo away, and the way he barely opens the throttle - that he isn't really trying. GAH!

Re: F1 cars on YouTube
Date: February 24, 2011 01:11PM
Posted by: gav
It does look like an FA15, but I'd imagine it won't have an original engine - it's probably a Judd V10 or something.
Date: February 24, 2011 02:08PM
I think it's a Judd V8, but I could be wrong. This would, based on the comments, mean that it isn't 'A F1' ;)

There's a video of a Jordan 197 at Santa Pod, which is attracting similar comments because the driver didn't floor it. That one's definitely still a V10 ;-)

Date: February 24, 2011 02:27PM
Posted by: jucksman
I think it's the original engine. The reason it sounds 'weird' is because of traction control cutting the throttle at acceleration. Also, these cars usually have a rev limiter to prevent the driver from accidentally blowing it and having to pay 150.000 dolars for a rebuild, and that changes the engine noise a little, too.

Cheers
Date: February 24, 2011 03:26PM
I'm not sure it is traction control - it doesn't have the rasping sound that occurs when cylinders are dropped.

Check out the Footwork at 00:13, which is what the above car would have to be if it has traction control. The rasping sound is heard all the way up through the revs.

I think it's actually just the engine running a little rough in the low part of the rev range, and/or harmonics caused by wheelspin - I can't really explain it better than that, but the wavering sound can often be heard when the cars pull away. Check out this video from the EuroBoss meeting at Hockenheim:

You can hear what I think is an old F3000 car do it at 00:19, as well as the Dallara at 00:29. As a slight aside - EuroBoss is awesome.

Date: February 24, 2011 04:28PM
Posted by: gav
Gary, I love that Montreal video. I'm fairly sure you can even hear Senna's right foot doing the throttle pumping he was renowned for!

jucksman
Also, these cars usually have a rev limiter to prevent the driver from accidentally blowing it and having to pay 150.000 dolars for a rebuild, and that changes the engine noise a little, too.

This is the reason they don't normally have the original engine. ;-)

People like Judd make/made engines especially for cars like this - not anything as powerful as the original, but ones which can do a lot more miles.

As for traction control, I doubt any of these cars have it. I can't believe the owners would have the electronics ability needed to maintain the complex EMSs the cars used. Of course, they wouldn't be complex by modern standards, but it's like programming an old computer game - it's far easier to make a similar game now than it would be then.
Date: February 24, 2011 04:40PM
Gav, I think it it a bit of both - throttle control and the wavering noise that I was trying to describe.

This video is a great example of his throttle control - from A Star Named Ayrton Senna, I think:

Somewhat pathetically, I use a similar technique on my PS2 pad for rFactor as the analog stick doesn't really allow you to be that precise ;)

Date: February 24, 2011 05:00PM
Posted by: chet
That montreal video is probably one of the best songs ever :p lovley!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy