Posted by: mick_schumacher
Doubts raised about his racing career !

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Kubica Hurt
Date: February 06, 2011 12:57PM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
mick_schumacher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doubts raised about his racing career !
>
> [news.bbc.co.uk]
> _one/9388940.stm

Already being talked about in the 2011 topic.
Date: February 08, 2011 03:01AM
Posted by: EC83
Posting here for now while the other thread is closed;

An early analysis of his situation and comeback chances by DC:

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Not a bad read IMO.

Date: February 08, 2011 03:07AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
James Allen isn't so positive unfortunately.

To recap, the latest bulletins from the doctors suggest a horrendous injury to his right arm which caused him to lose a lot of blood and despite some heroics by surgeons, the experts in the field to whom I’ve spoken suggest he may never regain fine motor function in that hand and if so his F1 career is unlikely to continue. Of course there are always miracle comebacks, but that is what will be required here for him to race an F1 car again. Renault disagree and say the doctors are exaggerating and that he will recover within a year.

It's a bad coincidence that we are going into a period where hand movements in the cockpit are more prevalent than almost ever before.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 08, 2011 03:34AM
Posted by: EC83
It's true that he's more likely to lose his fine motor skills than regain them if you consider how complex the human hand is and how badly his has apparently been injured(As far as I know there still hasn't been an official announcement of what his hand injuries are, just that they're bad).
It's the kind of thing which will take months to become fully clear.

Date: February 08, 2011 03:59AM
Posted by: Frantic
miracles can happen. Nannini made it. And Kubica is strong

Date: February 08, 2011 06:38AM
Posted by: loren
SchueyFan Wrote:
> It's a bad coincidence that we are going into a
> period where hand movements in the cockpit are
> more prevalent than almost ever before.

Other than that whole period where the driver actually had to shift the gears? His chances must certainly be better than Nannini's for that reason, even if today's cars demand a more precise style. However, even if he gets to the point where he's physically able to drive, it will be a risk for Renault or any other team to give him a ride.
Date: February 08, 2011 08:46AM
Posted by: gav
As loren said, today drivers have a multitude of buttons and knobs, but they've also got an infinitely adjustable power steering (which I guess is critical here) and paddle shifters. While Nannini had a different injury, back in the early 90s, everything about sitting in the cockpit was more physically demanding on the upper body (except the G-forces).

I'm sure something could be done about simplifying the buttons, or moving the majority of them to the other side, if he was generally fit enough to drive.
Date: February 08, 2011 11:30AM
Posted by: senninho
loren Wrote:
> SchueyFan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's a bad coincidence that we are going into a
> > period where hand movements in the cockpit are
> > more prevalent than almost ever before.
>
> Other than that whole period where the driver
> actually had to shift the gears? His chances must
> certainly be better than Nannini's for that
> reason, even if today's cars demand a more precise
> style. However, even if he gets to the point where
> he's physically able to drive, it will be a risk
> for Renault or any other team to give him a ride.

The difference is, the physical demands of changing gears manually are far less than manipulating small switches and knobs on a steering wheel. It should be noted that Nannini never raced in F1 again.

That said, medical science has changed massively over the last 20 years, and this will obviously help. The surgeon who operated on him seems cautiously optimistic, and did point out that racing drivers seem to heal faster and better than 'normal' people. I think it's too early to write him off.

Date: February 08, 2011 01:17PM
Posted by: Nickv
Another not so pretty picture

[photos.gpupdate.net]
Date: February 08, 2011 02:59PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
[adamcooperf1.com] Article from Adam Coopers website which also contains a rough simulation of the accident.

Date: February 08, 2011 03:15PM
Posted by: NeoLiot
So, Renault is thinking about Senna, Heidfeld or Liuzzi... i think Heidfeld will get the spot...
Autosport.com

-------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 03:15PM by NeoLiot.
Date: February 08, 2011 03:24PM
Posted by: MDBSnake

Video animation of the crash, "impressive" impact - this could have been much worse ... It could've gone right through one of the drivers

If you are racing, keep on racing and get some points!

GPG Super League S11 | Driver #41 | Team-manager | Snake Motorsports Racing Group | Next Race: Emmeloord - Flevoland GP | Constructors: 10th | Best Race Finish: 1st
GPG Super League Season 9 Testers Champion*
Date: February 08, 2011 05:28PM
Posted by: Diax F1
MDBSnake Wrote:
>

>
> Video animation of the crash, "impressive" impact
> - this could have been much worse ... It could've
> gone right through one of the drivers

A couple of inches to the left....ugh, too horrid to think about.

However, one thing that hasn't been discussed here (and on the basis of this simulation) is the safety of those crash barriers. Quite frankly, the barrier didn't do the job it was meant to - it seperated on impact and went straight though the car. Surely the logic of crash barriers is for them to be able to sustain impacts without breaking - with all the impact being placed back on the car?

Date: February 08, 2011 07:47PM
Posted by: kubica2
with regards to the other thread where disrespectful people thought it was 'just a basic hand injury' they dont realise that kubica lost 5 litres of blood, and had 3 blood tranfusions before the 7 hour operation to reattach the crushed foream, which already is smashed up from a 2003 accident and has 20 titanium bolts in it. there was more blood transfusions during the operation. his arm was severed, it needed to be reconnected totally including the veins! maybe this wasnted reported in the western f1 sites, but it is what happened and according to the doctors at the hospital, kubica arrived in critical condition in hospital, there was internal bleeding in the ribcage, which had to be corrected before the hand operation, and not all broken bones were set, he will have 2 more operations to set bones in the elbow and shoulder. doctors are monitoring his lungs with regards to the internal bleeding, all isnt back to normal there. he is lucky that he is a famous f1 driver, anyone else would have had the hand amputated, and most likely died considering the blood loss, but he was lucky to get the treatment he got, and they did an amazing job, more amazing then has been reported on the famous british f1 sites. what is not being reported is how long it took to get out of the car. on italian and polish websites they are suggesting up to 90 minutes, which is why he lost so much blood, but on western websites they dont know of this and just say 30 minutes. lets not forget he has a broken femur bone, which many people who have had broken have a limp for the rest of their life, and other broken bones in the leg. he has 2 operations left, and maybe a third for the arm, which is the most critical for his driving career.
Date: February 08, 2011 07:55PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Well I don't know what "western" sites you've been reading, but all of that was reported and has already been covered in the other thread. Also, I can't find anywhere in the other thread where people state its just a basic hand injury, as far as I can see people have covered all these details and more, discussed concerns over his condition as well as other information such as Renaults priority for him to go rallying and his recovery period.

Date: February 08, 2011 08:16PM
Posted by: airefresco
It was an awful accident and as far as I have read on here, everybody is in agreement that he is lucky to be alive, especially now when more pictures are coming out and showing how bad an accident it was. As for it being disrespectful to be discussing a replacement, well all I can say on that is you (kubica2) seem to be the only one who thinks so. Certainly the majority of the media, f1 fans, Renault and even Kubica himself (check Renault press conference from this afternoon) are discussing it. Personally I would go with Nick out of the choices they have.
Date: February 08, 2011 08:26PM
Posted by: gav
It may have been lost in translation, but you are continuing to bait.

No-one suggested it was a 'basic' hand injury (other than earlier in the day, when there was much confusion over what injuries he'd actually suffered (which were ranging from left-sided fractures to amputation of the upper leg). Once it became clear he'd suffered a serious hand injury, no-one belittled it at all.

We were fully aware (well I was and I'm sure many who'd seen the pictures were) that he'd lost a great deal of blood from what we later found out was from the sub-amputated forearm.

If you can find an Italian doctors quote (from a doctor or surgeon who was actually involved) which shows he had internal injuries, then could you link it please, as I've not heard that one from any of the statements or press conferences yet.

On a side note, I've no idea where this disrespect has come from. People discussing other things in relation to Kubica which aren't actually praying for him isn't disrespect.
Date: February 08, 2011 08:35PM
Posted by: Morbid
kubica2 Wrote:
> WALL OF TEXT

cl_whine 0

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 08, 2011 08:54PM
Posted by: kubica2
gav and morbid, do your own research. there are videos on polish websites with interviews from the doctors in the hospital which discuss it all. check onet.pl, and babelfish translate it if you cant read it. but gav, its too late for your words, you spoke way too soon in an arrogant arsehole voice declaring its just an everyday injury without knowing the facts. you didnt know the facts then and you probably still dont now or dont care, but your words were what was disrespectful. maybe kubica isnt one of your favourite drivers, if he was i bet your words would have been different. think next time before writing oppinionated comments on a very serious matter, and writing @#$%& like "grow a pair" is the most pathetic thing i have ever read in this forum considering what happened to kubica. do you think if a person cares for another persons wellbeing then they dont have a pair? you are the one in the wrong here, a person is seriously injured and you degrade anyone that cares for that person.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy