Lotus - 2011 looks promising!

Posted by danm 
Lotus - 2011 looks promising!
Date: October 05, 2010 10:29AM
Posted by: danm
http://www.lotusracing.my/

October 5th, 2010

Lotus Racing Announces Red Bull Technology Gearbox & Hydraulic Systems Partnership

Lotus Racing has today announced that the Anglo-Malaysian squad has agreed a deal with Red Bull Technology for the supply of gearboxes and hydraulic systems from the 2011 season and beyond. The announcement marks the next critical building block in the process of stepping up the team's challenge for honours in the FIA Formula One™ World Championship and is a major statement of intent about their future aspirations.

Mike Gascoyne, Lotus Racing Chief Technical Officer: "The announcement that we have reached a multi-year agreement with Red Bull Technology for the supply of our gearboxes and hydraulics from 2011 is obviously a massive step forward for us, both in engineering terms, and as an expression of our ambitions for next year and for future Championships. The gearbox / hydraulics package obviously plays a critical role in the performance of the car, not just on track but in design and packaging terms, and this deal gives our design and aero teams a very exciting platform to work with. The removal of the double diffusers in 2011 will allow the whole grid to tighten up the rear bodywork and mechanical structures around the gearbox, and this supply deal will allow us to capitalise on that with our 2011 car. Exciting times lie ahead!"

Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing Team Principal added his thoughts: "We are very pleased about Lotus Racing's decision to use Red Bull Technology gearboxes and hydraulic systems from 2011. The fact that Red Bull Technology has been chosen to be a supplier to another team despite its short history demonstrates how much we have achieved since our first season. We very much look forward to working with Lotus Racing from 2011 onwards."

Tony Fernandes, Lotus Racing Team Principal: "Din, Nasa, the whole team and I are absolutely delighted to be able to announce our gearbox and hydraulics partnership with Red Bull Technology. It is a real statement of our intention to challenge for Formula One™ honours as soon as we can that we have reached this agreement and we are very excited about integrating the package into our 2011 car. I think people in and out of the sport are going to be following our progress even more closely now we have taken this incredibly important and ambitious step, and it makes next year even more exciting. The Lotus Racing dream grows bigger every day!"

----

So that AND a Renault deal... crikey, that should be a big boost for them :D

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Re: Lotus - 2011 looks promising!
Date: October 05, 2010 12:12PM
Posted by: vesuvius
really good indeed, go lotus :) and maybe Heikki to RedBull 2012 hehe :D
Date: October 05, 2010 04:45PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Maybe Toro Rosso is to be sold, because I find it odd that Red Bull would do such a deal that will probably help push Toro Rosso another spot down the pecking order.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 05, 2010 05:03PM
Posted by: msater
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe Toro Rosso is to be sold, because I find it
> odd that Red Bull would do such a deal that will
> probably help push Toro Rosso another spot down
> the pecking order.

Seems likely!

Good for Lotus. But I wish Virgin had this kind of drive. They potentially have a hreat time, but it seems very untapped.

But again, Lotus are on the up. Are Heikki and Jarno still the drivers in '11?

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: October 05, 2010 05:35PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
The rumour is that Virgin are currently trying to work out a deal with Williams for their drive-train for next year. Remember, the Cosworth engine isn't the weak point, it's the god awful Xtrac hydraulics and gearbox.

By using RBRs system it means they don't have as much work to do with integrating it as opposed to a different engine supplier.

Date: October 05, 2010 05:45PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
msater Wrote:
>
> But again, Lotus are on the up. Are Heikki and
> Jarno still the drivers in '11?

Heikki is pretty much a dead cert. As for Trulli, he's under pressure. I believe Chandhok might be in talks with them, and seeing that Giedo van der Garde is talking to some teams to, we can make an educated guess that one of them might be Lotus.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 05, 2010 07:13PM
Posted by: chet
Rather than Virigin not be able to unlock the potential, i think its Lotus have more backing, and more money to spend to get these deals..

This is no doubt a great coup for Lotus! Everything looks good for 2011!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 05, 2010 07:40PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Seeing Chandoks Dad in the Lotus motorhome is more than enough evidence to say he wants a seat ;)

Date: October 06, 2010 10:40AM
Posted by: J i m
That's like saying Dario Franchitti is on the verge of driving for McLaren, Renault and Force India because he was in the their garages etc at Monza. And as awesome as Dario is (3 IRL titles in 4 years, and 3 in a row when you consider he was out for a year), he isn't about to rock up in F1.

And Chandhok would probably like just about any drive in F1 right now.

Date: October 07, 2010 07:26PM
Posted by: Ali
J i m Wrote:
> That's like saying Dario Franchitti is on the
> verge of driving for McLaren, Renault and Force
> India because he was in the their garages etc at
> Monza. And as awesome as Dario is (3 IRL titles in
> 4 years, and 3 in a row when you consider he was
> out for a year), he isn't about to rock up in F1.

Nice to hear this, because I really think the guy deserves a chance in F1 (although the chances are...0%?). Has been winning races in the US for years (since 1999)... I think he tested a Jaguar in 2000...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 07:29PM by Ali.
Date: October 08, 2010 08:34AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Has been winning races in the US for years (since 1999)

1998 :P Road America.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 10, 2010 05:02AM
Posted by: slicer
Out of the newb goobs I prefer Lotus the most. They have a great car (of course in comparison to the two other new teams). I would be amazed if Lotus rose through the ranks, proving the whole money reduction system worked. But hats off to all the new teams! It's a challenge even getting a car on the grid (And we've already had a great example of that failure).

-------------------------------------------------
Yes, thank you for noticing I am the most amazing being in the galaxy.
Date: October 11, 2010 09:55AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I get the feeling Force India could be one of the teams that falls below Lotus. They've lost quite a lot of important personnel, and seem to struggle with the development based on the 2nd half of this year. Also, there are question marks on the driver line-up.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy