Good safety car idea?

Posted by salvasirignano 
Good safety car idea?
Date: July 23, 2010 10:51PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
I was reading some of the F1 features on yahoo, and this comment was posted...

33.When will F1, which has associated technology capable­ of timing track sectors, never mind laps, to a­ thousanth of a second, sort out the whole safety car­ farce? When a planned race by any of the leading teams­ is thrown into confusion by some idiot in 19th place­ ramming into the no-hoper in 18th, it ceases to be a­ proper race.
If a car has been set up to establish an­ early lead, and does so, it can be completely scuppered­ by collisions or accidents involving other competitors­ who have no bearing on the leading positions.
If you­ can be so precise in so much of the other technology,­ why does it seem to be impossible to register the exact­ times between cars when racing is suspended to the­ safety car? Surely, every car could be put through the­ pit lane when proper racing resumes, and released at­ the appropriate intervals that existed when the safety­ car was deployed.
When you hear teams indicating that­ that they are hoping/planning for a safety car incident­ as part of their race strategy, it turns the whole­ circus into a complete farce. Until they sort out this­ stupidity, which turns what should be a competetive­ event into a lottery, I, for one, am abandoning it as a­ must see occasion.

David Gregory

Anybody else think that this is a great idea?
Re: Good safety car idea?
Date: July 23, 2010 11:30PM
Posted by: harjinator
nope. all sports involve luck... sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Some race soon, ferrari will benefit from a safety car... and tbh, without the safety car, silverstone would have been the most boring race since bahrain and valencia doubly so, because vettel wouldn't have caught anybody interesting.

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: July 23, 2010 11:51PM
Posted by: msater
I see his point but his idea just doesn't work, IHMO. He's got the wrong end of his pointy stick - if one driver (e.g. Schumi in 04) is running away with a race, a safety car car 75% of the time makes the race more interesting, as you have 1st place near 2nd place again.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: July 24, 2010 12:10AM
Posted by: gav
Sorry, but while we as fans like mixed-up races and chaos from safety cars and red flags, Formula 1 isn't just a sport, but a massive business. Such (un)sporting problems affects people's lives and livelihoods. It's not some game.

I proposed some time ago that the pit-lane speed limiter should be immediately implemented the moment a safety car is deployed and all cars proceed at the same speed. The fan in me wouldn't want it, but what is sport if it's not fair?
Date: July 24, 2010 12:29AM
Posted by: Fillyourboots
Just close the pits, (team managers worrying about) cars running out of fuel is no longer a consideration now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 12:30AM by Fillyourboots.
Date: July 24, 2010 03:59AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yes, closing the pits is the safest and fairest option. It would also stop the drivers racing back to the pit-lane, which can be very unsafe if there are marshalls/cars/debris on the track.

Everyone seemed to hate the SC rules when it gave Piquet a podium, but there seemingly wasn't so much outrage if it disadvantaged Ferrari.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 24, 2010 04:51AM
Posted by: NeoLiot
i think drivers should be forced to hit the speed limiter button (the same used in pit lane) whenever the safety car is deployed... and stay that way until the proper line is formed behind the SC...

-------------------------------------------
Date: July 24, 2010 10:47PM
Posted by: senninho
Fillyourboots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just close the pits, (team managers worrying
> about) cars running out of fuel is no longer a
> consideration now.

That's actually not a bad idea, but will probably remove one of the few chances for a switched-on team to make up places.

NeoLiot Wrote:
> i think drivers should be forced to hit the speed
> limiter button (the same used in pit lane)
> whenever the safety car is deployed... and stay
> that way until the proper line is formed behind
> the SC...

This is also a good idea, until a driver tucked up behind another hits his limiter too late...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 10:48PM by senninho.
Date: July 25, 2010 01:49AM
Posted by: danm
what about when you go karting on holiday, to the touristy venues where the radio tower controls ALL cars with limiters. surely there could be a race director who would press this and limit everyone, with some sort of warning light and a 5 or 10 second countdown.

think of it like gp2/gp3/gp4 when the hotseat mode switches car. 'switching in 10, 9, 8.... etc.

it would surely keep people in the same relative distances from eachother, and theoretically, people can pit and still resume more or less in the same space.

it prevents tactic losses, but loses the thrill safety cars have of shaking a race up.

most shock wins and fun races involve this randomness.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: July 25, 2010 08:29AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
gav Wrote:
> Sorry, but while we as fans like mixed-up races
> and chaos from safety cars and red flags, Formula
> 1 isn't just a sport, but a massive business. Such
> (un)sporting problems affects people's lives and
> livelihoods. It's not some game.
>
> I proposed some time ago that the pit-lane speed
> limiter should be immediately implemented the
> moment a safety car is deployed and all cars
> proceed at the same speed. The fan in me wouldn't
> want it, but what is sport if it's not fair?

No sport is truly fair. In football, if your playing against the wind in 1 half, and then the wind changes in the 2nd half and your still playing against it, tough. Deal with it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 25, 2010 08:49AM
Sorry Dave, but when you're complaining about drivers in NASCAR deliberately crashing others out and then not being penalised sufficiently, I think it's a bit rich asking others to simply 'deal with' other issues of fairness (or lack of).

The safety car rules make @#$%& all sense from a sporting or business point of view. It's not something which would take big measures (or even much funding, saying as all the technology already exists) to implement.
Date: July 25, 2010 09:14AM
Deliberately destroying a bunch of race cars and having the governing body only applying rules when they want to, and losing time under the SC when the rules are applied correctly isn't even close to comparable.

The rules of the safety car are the same for everybody. Whilst it usually benefits cars further back (but not always) it is applied correctly. The problem in NASCAR right now is the rules haven't been applied correctly. When F1 starts making up the rules as they go along, then we'll talk about it compared to the current NASCAR Hot topic.

The idea of limiting the car speeds come with many issues. For example, it benefits those who are at certain parts of the circuit. If you are passed a slow section of the circuit when the accident occurs, you'll end up gaining time because you'll pass through that section less than the cars behind. Same with the position of the cars when they restart. Is that fair? No, so why bother introducing the system?

If it's to be done manually then it'll cause an accident. Maybe not right away, but it will. See Mark Webber for details on what happens when you hit the back of somebody else. If it's to be done automatically, that'll be fun. If it fails (and it seems all new systems do in F1 at some point) we're left with a driver blissfully unaware of the speed different, and if it doesn't we're left with the sight of F1 cars driving about the circuit to an actual speed limit.

I mean if we're going to say that the SC (which is purely there for safety reasons) is unfair, then we go much further. Is it fair when it suddenly down pours at Spa, and those that are closer to the pit lane gain an advantage? Nope? So should we just hold them in the pits until others can regain the time?

This idea of removing variables is happening far too much. In FIA GT4 they currently have 40 minute races (pathetic for GT racing, but whatever, so is FIA GT at the moment). Obviously with these short races, a few teams go with just 1 driver in the car. But despite doing that, they don't make up time in the stops because the rules say that if you don't have a driver swap then you have to park the car for a minimum pit stop time! They are actually mandating pit stops now! Dear god, keep these guys away from the F1 regulations please.

No sport, no situation is truly 100% fair. As long as the rules are applied equally every time then it tends to balance out. Problems start occuring when the rules are applied unfairly.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 25, 2010 09:50AM
DaveEllis
Deliberately destroying a bunch of race cars and having the governing body only applying rules when they want to, and losing time under the SC when the rules are applied correctly isn't even close to comparable.

I didn't compare them, I called you a bit rich for picking out the sporting matters which you want to see applied or not as the case may be.

DaveEllis
The idea of limiting the car speeds come with many issues. For example, it benefits those who are at certain parts of the circuit. If you are passed a slow section of the circuit when the accident occurs, you'll end up gaining time because you'll pass through that section less than the cars behind. Same with the position of the cars when they restart. Is that fair? No, so why bother introducing the system?

Yes a limiter isn't perfect, but it's an all-round fairer system than the one currently in play.

Personally, I don't see anything sporting about a needless lottery.
Date: July 25, 2010 10:05AM
I didn't compare them, I called you a bit rich for picking out the sporting matters which you want to see applied or not as the case may be.

I want to see the rules applied as they are written. What exactly is the problem with that? Whilst the results of the SC are not always 'fair', the results of a sudden down pour are not either. However the SC rules are applied correctly each time (and when they aren't, we all moan). NASCARs ruling regarding the recent issues have not been applied correctly according to the NASCAR rule book, and thus, we all moan. If anything, I'm being far more consistent than anyone else.

Personally, I don't see anything sporting about a needless lottery.

Whilst I understand the point in this sentence, it is certainly not "needless". The SC is not deployed for any needless reason, unlike NASCAR and BTCC (although IIRC that was a non-championship race, and we were track side).

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 25, 2010 10:23AM
DaveEllis
I want to see the rules applied as they are written.

I've not commented on the rules at all and I certainly wasn't about to disagree with you about Edwards either.

My complaint, regarding F1, isn't the implementation of the rules, but the rules themselves.

DaveEllis
Whilst I understand the point in this sentence, it is certainly not "needless". The SC is not deployed for any needless reason, unlike NASCAR and BTCC (although IIRC that was a non-championship race, and we were track side).

The safety car itself is nearly needless. F1 could almost always work without it. Drivers have zero respect for the yellow flags any more - how many times have you seen a driver "prepared to stop" when seeing double waved yellows in the past decade or so? The last time I remember seeing it was when Senna came up to Blancimont in 1991 I think it was, and they were frantically waving yellows due to Caffi sitting unconcious in his car in the middle of the track (and indeed Senna did stop).

Anyway, that's me wandering off on another rant. My point was that the safety car isn't needed as it could be replaced by the electronics which have existed in F1 for the past 10 years. Nerds could previously control settings on the car from the pit-lane using the encrypted radio and now that there is a common ECU and pit-limiter everything which would needed is already in place.

My only complaint would be the lack of action resulting from a status quo, but then that's a problem with the cars and tracks - Montreal showed you don't need safety cars for 100% epic races.
Date: July 25, 2010 10:56AM
Posted by: J i m
Maybe so.

But you could say that throughout F1 history. F1 has never really been about close racing / overtaking fest. It's always been about getting the car on pole and then buggering off into the distance, that's pretty much the point as a competitor. Close racing is usually a happy side effect, but by no means guaranteed.

As I recall the safety car as we know it... when was it introduced? 1993? That kind of time I think, was introduced for two reasons, firstly and foremostly obviously as a safety tool to slow the cars down when there is an obstruction on the circuit, most commonly used after an accident/incident which necessitates marshals to be on the circuit to clear it up. Secondary it was designed to keep the show/race running so at least the audience get to see something with out the need to stop the race altogether.

That being so... the safety car is at least 50% about the "show" And modern F1 is as much an entertainment business as it is a sport. It might turn it into a lottery at times, but more often than not lotteries make it exciting and memorable for the audience. And remember one of the most important things to F1 the business is the audience.

Coming at it from this viewpoint I think the safety car should stay in it's current guise, or even return to the late 90's early 00's. In recent years they've been tinkling with it with minimal real changes in what it effectively does.

From a sporting point of view as a competitor I guess it could be frustrating and pleasing in equal measures, they all know it can happen though, and it forms part of the challenge in how they react to it, how they take advantage or how they recover or not from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 10:57AM by J i m.
Date: July 27, 2010 06:12AM
Posted by: EC83
As I recall the safety car as we know it... when was it introduced? 1993? That kind of time I think,

Silverstone 1992, after the "Wet Race/Dry Race" rule threw the French GP into chaos. But you're right in a way, because the first time the Safety Car came out on the track during a race and backed the pack up was Interlagos 1993(The first introduction of the SC during a race was supposed to have been Hungary in 1992, but no official car went out onto the track despite the SC boards being held out everywhere, and the race carried on as normal, so that can't really count IMO).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy