Bernie wants double the annual charge for Turkish GP or no GP for 2011

Posted by madotter 
It is being reported in Istanbul that Bernie Ecclestone has demanded a doubling of the annual charge to US$26 million if the Turkish Grand Prix is to remain on the calendar after the current deal expires in 2011

Local newspapers state Ecclestone spoke with State Minister for Sports Faruk Nafiz Özak and Finance Minister Mehmet Şimşek during last weekend's İstanbul Grand Prix. The parties ended discussions with nothing resolved.

"Turkey is definitely fond of hosting these races, and all this haggling is taking place for this," said Youth and Sports Director Yunus Akgül, who was present at the meeting. "After these talks, both sides understand the positions of all involved, and the process will be concluded within two months. However, paying US$26 million for this organisation every year is a big burden. The figure is very high.

"We've approached the deal from a different angle. Our last offer was that he relinquish the operating rights to İstanbul Park, and we guaranteed that the track would be reserved for the organisation for three weeks before and during the races. In return, we wanted him to come up with a new offer."

However, he was adamant unless Ecclestone was prepared to be flexible they would reluctantly allow the race to go elsewhere. If that were to happen, the future of Istanbul Park, which is little used outside the grand prix, would be in doubt as well.
Bernie you complete and utter twit faced fool.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Get rid of Turkey please. It's only produced one good race and personally, it's the second most shite track (besides for T8) after Shanghai. There's no interest there. get rid of it.
Monza972 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get rid of Turkey please. It's only produced one
> good race and personally, it's the second most
> shite track (besides for T8) after Shanghai.
> There's no interest there. get rid of it.

Oooooohhh

[insert pic of hand bag]

Any other Grands Prix coming up to the end of their contract? India, America, Rome and Russia seem (fairly) set to join in by 2013. I would have thought that Bernie wants to ditch another established Grand Prix or two for them - this does seem to be his MO when it comes to growing bored of one place and wanting to go somewhere new...

'cause, if Korea goes back to war, I'd imagine their slot would be free too...
@zulu_85: America is a continent, not a country...

i dont really know if there is any other GP coming up to the end of their contract... I know Brazil has contract until... 2015/16?

Monza972 Wrote:
> Get rid of Turkey please. It's only produced one
> good race and personally, it's the second most
> shite track (besides for T8) after Shanghai.
> There's no interest there. get rid of it.

I agree. Another one please.
All this money wasted on novelty new tracks that are fun a few times.

And to think the likes of Silverstone need only a pinch of the cash that these entire venues cost to make it outstanding.

What a shame. Just one of these new whizzy flash modern circuits would fund updates like improved pit complexes at the likes of Imola, Spa, Silverstone etc. Venues that drivers AND fans love, but they lack funding to make the improvements.

The spanner breaks. So you buy a hammer?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Technically Nth America and Sth America are continents, not "America" but I dont want to start an argument :P

I can see where Bernie is coming from. Attendance at turkey is so low every year - why bother holding races where no-one cares about F1 (including Bahrain, and I assume Korea and India will be also).

2013 - Nando must come through..
Frantic Wrote:
> @zulu_85: America is a continent, not a
> country...

Where's that then?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
zulu_85 Wrote:
> Any other Grands Prix coming up to the end of
> their contract?

China ended its contract this year as well, I think.

X (@ed24f1)
hopefully hungary will lose theirs. unfortunately, silverstone managed to save themselves, so they wont' be going anywhere... losing valencia would also be good (as in it wouldn't be missed) (but unlikely)...

so many better options to remove than turkey, which, like shanghai, only needs better promotion within the country to drum up interest...

Actually, on reflection, isn't hungary signed up for a few years? damn!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
harjinator Wrote:
> Actually, on reflection, isn't hungary signed up
> for a few years? damn!

Hungary's not that bad - its provided some good races in the last few years. It has a deal until 2016 anyway.

Valencia and Barcelona should start alternating (or one just drop off), because there shouldn't be two races in any one country any more.

X (@ed24f1)
Hungary is fairly secure, always has been IIRC, and I find that curious. It's a thoroughly crappy and characterless little circuit that always produces dull races. It had a significance in the 80s when we had the Iron Curtain and it was the only race in the Eastern Bloc, but times have changed since then, unless I'm missing something. It also did offer something different when it was first introduced, purely because it was a "Monaco without the houses", at a time when we still had a lot of proper tracks like Hockenheim and the Österreichring. So, despite not being a particularly likeable type of track from day 1, it had a novelty value. Again, that's changed now, thanks to all the Tilkedromes that have moved in, mainly at the expense of the classic tracks.

There's definitely a stronger case for dropping Hungary than dropping Turkey here IMO.

DaveEllis Wrote:
> Frantic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > @zulu_85: America is a continent, not a
> > country...
>
> [ezwayautos.com]
> -world-map.jpg
>
> Where's that then?

[en.wikipedia.org]
That's 2 continents.

My point: If you (not you, just a general) are going to be overly anal about details, you better make sure you post perfectly accurate information.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Strictly talking, America is a contintent, and South America and North America are subcontinents. Other thing, look at the olympic rings, these five rings represent the five (inhabited) continents of the world: Africa, America, Asia, Europe and Oceania.

My Point: America isnt only the United States, there are other 34 countries in this continent.

now going back to the topic: i dont think hungary its a classic, but it is in the calendary from 25 years ago... its not like Monza, but we better get rid of tilke-dromes before Hungary... so, lets get rid of Turkey and bring back Zandvoort!

Frantic Wrote:
> Strictly talking, America is a contintent, and
> South America and North America are subcontinents.

Yup! But this is sooo specific and small that we shouldn't expect people outside of this continent (except for United-Statians ;)) to know.
Frantic Wrote:
> Strictly talking, America is a contintent, and
> South America and North America are subcontinents.
> Other thing, look at the olympic rings, these five
> rings represent the five (inhabited) continents of
> the world: Africa, America, Asia, Europe and
> Oceania.

"Strictly talking", they are not. It is taught differently around the world, but whatever.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The seven-continent model is usually taught in China and most English-speaking countries. The six-continent combined-America model is taught in Latin America, and most parts of Europe including Germany, Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain. This model may be taught to include only the five inhabited continents (excluding Antarctica) — as depicted in the Olympic logo.

So yeah.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2010 09:10PM by DaveEllis.
Just to add one final thing from wikipedia - and hopefully one final thing to this diversion which I can only apologise for - but:

[en.wikipedia.org]

America usually refers to either:
*The Americas
*The United States of America

Perhaps you can see now where I was coming from when I made this error?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy