Live timing

Posted by Qwerty_uk 
Live timing
Date: February 24, 2010 12:36PM
Posted by: Qwerty_uk
Can I assume that the majority of us watch the F1 races with our computers logged into the official live timing screens? I certainly do, and it definitely adds a lot to the understanding and enjoyment of the races for me.

The new(ish) iPhone timing app looks fantastic, as it offers extras, like (extrapolated) track positions. But I'm not an apple/mac/i-everything user - and never will be! - so this just isn't available to me. There's certainly nothing like this available for my beloved WinMob phone, and as far as I know there's nothing on the web that gives more features than the official timing.

visionf1.com/ does show very good track-position data, but only in the form of after-race replays, not live.

So, does anybody know of any other sources of live data that enhance race viewing?

The teams do have track position data on their pit screens, but my understanding is that this is done with their own data and software.

I have contacted the official site in the past to suggest new features (such as a delayed-live timing feature for those times when you're watching a race recorded and want the timing to go with it), but have never had a response.
Re: Live timing
Date: February 24, 2010 03:47PM
Posted by: raulongo
I have the iPhone app and I must say it's a must have!! Amazing, can't wait to try it out!

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.
Date: February 24, 2010 04:07PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Did you even read his post?

As far as I know there isn't anything available for the windows mobile as of yet that can do what you're after. The live timing should work on your windows mobile though if you have a realitively new model with Opera mobile for Internet, as far as I know that should support the java required. I did try to test this out by loading live timing from the formula 1 site just to be sure, but live timing is down at the moment.

Date: February 24, 2010 04:39PM
To be honest, I'm less bothered about accessing the standard timing through a mobile, since I've usually got a laptop or desktop handy when I'm watching a race, and the smaller screen isn't really ideal for the stats.

It's more about the extra features (particularly track position map) that I'd like to have. It's incredible that this is only available through an iPhone app and not anywhere on the web.

But I suppose that's another example of the dichotomy of F1: Association with "cutting edge technology" in the garages, but way behind the times in terms of media (HD, anyone?!)...
Date: February 24, 2010 04:41PM
Posted by: alonso0506
is something like the track position for pc available ? I know the live timing cause i use it since 06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Date: May 24, 2010 06:13PM
McLaren now include a track map along with their live telemetry, comments and (edited) pit/car radio comms.

But unfortunately, the map only shows the positions of their own cars.

Also, it's quite difficult to get that to fit on the same screen as the main live timing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy