Posted by mitadumapaga 
a question about tyres
Date: September 07, 2009 02:23PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
guys i have a question. in GP 4 there are three arts of wet tyres :
1)intermediates
2) wet tyres
3) monsoon

in reality however there seems to be only inters and wet weather tyres (the ones with the white line)
so are there any monsoon tyres , or this is so just in the game ????
Re: a question about tyres
Date: September 07, 2009 03:13PM
Posted by: gav
Rough and doubtless with countless errors:

There used to be monsoon tyres, but they were shelved to reduce costs (they could have used them at Sepang ideally ;)).

Originally Bridgestone and Michelin were asked to only bring 1 specification of wet tyre - Michelin brought wets, but were upset when Bridgestone brought inters (as it meant the Bridgestones had a massive performance advantage in most wet conditions, but when it was wet wet, the Bridgestone runners wouldn't be able to safely run).

When Michelin left, I think Bridgestone continued to supply only 1 wet tyre, but that idea was changed after the money saved in manufacturing and transporting only 1 specification of wet tyre was spent in 2 laps at the Nurburgring in 2007 with cars flying off at relatively high speed as the intermediate tyre simply couldn't cope with all the water on the track.

In short, no, there isn't a monsoon tyre in F1 any longer.
Date: September 08, 2009 11:20AM
Posted by: The Lopper
I think there was some discussion about this around Malaysia, there doesn't seem to be monsooneys any more. I suppose they were used only very rarely, and you'd have to wonder if they would have made much difference at all had they been an option at Sepang this year.
Date: September 08, 2009 12:55PM
Posted by: gav
I presume the wet tyres are now leaned slightly towards the monsoon tyre, giving something that enables them to cut through the water a touch more than they used too.

Of course, in any condition where the monsoon tyre is needed, they wouldn't bother racing now. At the very best they'd run behind the safety car, but in all likelihood, they'd just red flag it (as in Sepang and Nurburgring).
Date: September 08, 2009 07:59PM
Posted by: Muks_C
IIRC, Martin explained it along the lines of:

what we think of and call "inters" are actually officially named the "wet" tyre, and what we call the "wets" are officially named "extreme wet" tyres. but yeah, just those 2 now for wet weather.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 08, 2009 09:18PM
Posted by: Nickv
That is true, until the start of this season, where the tyres were called inters and wets again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy