Grosjean to Renault

Posted by danm 
Grosjean to Renault
Date: August 18, 2009 08:15PM
Posted by: danm
[f1.gpupdate.net]

We all saw it coming!

Romain Grosjean will make his Formula One debut racing alongside Fernando Alonso in this weekend's European Grand Prix. The Frenchman, reserve driver for the team, will make the step up the motorsport ladder from GP2 and fills the vacant seat previously occupied by Nelson Piquet.

With Brazilian Piquet's Renault F1 career having ended in a words with team principal Flavio Briatore, Grosjean's place alongside the former double Champion was announced on Monday morning after the team won its Monday appeal to race this weekend.

Grosjean has been part of Renault's Driver Development (RDD) programme for five years and is currently second for Campos in the GP2 championship standings to Nico Hulkenberg after leading earlier this season.

"I am very proud that the Renault F1 Team has given me the chance to become a race driver," 23-year-old Grojean said. "I'm looking forward to driving the R29 and helping the team get the best results possible. It's also an honour to be Fernando's team-mate and to make my Formula One debut alongside a double World Champion is especially motivating."

Brazil's Lucas di Grassi retakes his third driver duties as Grosjean moves up the team
Lucas di Grassi returns to the team to take over reserve driver duties, meaning he will be slotted into a race seat should either Alonso or Grosjean be unable to compete.

"We are happy to give Romain the chance to start racing with the team," added team principal Briatore. "He is an impressive young talent and we expect him to show his skills driving alongside Fernando as we take an aggressive approach to the second half of the season. We would also like to thank Nelson for his contribution during the time he has been with us and wish him all the best for the future."

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2009 08:15PM by danm.
Re: Grosjean to Renault
Date: August 18, 2009 08:28PM
Posted by: EC83
Predictable, yep. Let's see how he goes. If he manages to do better than Piquet did it won't look good for Nelsinho.

Date: August 18, 2009 09:35PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Yeah, was pretty inevitable, let's see how he goes this weekend, will be quite a jump for him, but Alguersuari has shown that it's not an impossible one.

Date: August 18, 2009 10:18PM
Posted by: chet
Theres no doubt he's got speed but will be able to pull a weekend together without a coming together with a wall or another car?

Unlike Jamie this guys got experience in the car, albeit last years car and a few straightline tests in this car, but he really shouldnt be more than 3/4 tenths of Alonso.

Renault obviously think he's ready for the jump up...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 18, 2009 10:46PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I don't see Roman doing anything good, unless he crashes the lap after Alonso makes a pitstop ;). He's only being pulled up due to his nationality.
Date: August 18, 2009 11:36PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
About time, I hope he can impress, I watched him in gp2 last year and in the start of the year asian series he was fab and good to watch!

Date: August 18, 2009 11:54PM
Posted by: EC83
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> About time, I hope he can impress, I watched him
> in gp2 last year and in the start of the year
> asian series he was fab and good to watch!

Agreed, I watched him in GP2 last year too and thought he showed real potential as a driver.
He won't find it easy though, in Flav's team with Fernando as his teammate.

Date: August 19, 2009 02:48AM
Posted by: Guimengo
What if Flavio does give him an equal car? Renault's been a dog this year and showing that not only Alonso but his French teammate can keep in somewhat similar pace may be what they need to secure funding for next year, with or without Alonso.

Grosjean sometimes looked exciting in GP2 but very erratic and inconsistent to me. Comparing apples to apples, Piquet was quite a bit superior and di Grassi is far better.
Date: August 19, 2009 06:16AM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Romain will understand what is the teams atmosphere out their, wondering why the hell alonso's got bunch of engineers fixing his problem, whlist his was none. hahah

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy