We totally forgot!

Posted by Frantic 
We totally forgot!
Date: August 02, 2009 07:27PM
Posted by: Frantic
that in 1st July there has been 30 years since the epic battle between Gilles and René

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2009 07:28PM by Frantic.
Re: We totally forgot!
Date: August 02, 2009 08:12PM
Posted by: EC83
Watched a video of this entire race a while back on YouTube, it was an awesome drive by Gilles. Impressive how long he held onto the lead as well.
It has some parallels with recent times too - Ferrari and Renault battling for the lead... and Piquet crashing :P

Date: August 02, 2009 08:24PM
Posted by: gav
Only thing that has come close to that recently was the battle between Massa and Kubica at Fuji in 2007... not quite the same. :P
Date: August 02, 2009 08:39PM
Posted by: EC83
That battle was more like dodgems than F1 - certainly more like touring cars. Surprising that no winglets got knocked off their cars. Kubica did seem to be running into anybody who was moving that day.
It was a great few moments of entertainment though. :D

Date: August 02, 2009 10:58PM
Posted by: chet
Great racing. That video often gets conceptualized as to why F1 was better 'back then'... Whether that is the case or not is a matter of opinion. But great racing by two great drivers. F1 racing at its best??

Fuji 07??

Now all I remember from Fuji 07 is just how similar it was to Spa 08 :) and is one of the reasons tarmac run-offs are terrible. I dont want to cause a big debate but IMO Fuji 07 and Spa 08 bare very similar stories. Drivers gaining from not using the track, whilst one felt the wrath of the FIA and shall be remembered for it, the other will go down as one of the best last lap battles in recent times. I will admit that if you couldnt tell I still feel quite bitter about it!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy