F1 2010 Rules and Budget Cap (hilarious read!)

Posted by DaveEllis 
F1 2010 Rules and Budget Cap (hilarious read!)
Date: March 17, 2009 04:08PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
[www.autosport.com]

The FIA has introduced a budget cap in Formula 1 for the 2010 season, as autosport.com predicted last month, following a meeting of its World Motor Sport Council on Tuesday.

The voluntary cap will be set at £30 million per team per season, and those outfits signing up to the option will be allowed total technical freedom.

The FIA hopes that the move will make it easier for news teams to enter F1 and allow those teams without manufacturer support to be guaranteed a long future in the sport.

As a way of enticing teams to take up the option of the budget cap, the FIA has stated that it will tweak the regulations to ensure those with restricted finances will be just as competitive as those spending unlimited amounts of money.

A statement issued by the FIA said: "The technical freedoms accorded to the low-budget teams will be adjusted from time to time to keep their median performance on a par with the median performance of the unlimited-expenditure teams. The regulations for the unlimited-expenditure teams will remain stable and fixed."

FIA president Max Mosley confirmed that the £30 million budget cap would include drivers' salaries.

When asked what was included, Mosley said: "Everything except the motor home (if the team has one) and any fine(s) imposed by the FIA. All expenditure will be included, even the salaries of the drivers and team principal.

"If the team is profitable, it can pay a dividend to its shareholders, who may well include a chief engineer, team principal or even a driver. But we would make sure the team was genuinely making enough profit to cover the dividend."

Mosley also outlined details of what technical freedoms teams that signed up for the budget cap would be allowed.

"A different (but standard) under body, movable wings, no engine rev limit, no restriction on the number or type of updates, no homologation requirements, no limits on materials, testing, simulators, wind tunnels and so forth - most of the cost saving measures introduced over the last few years will not apply to these teams," he explained.

"However measures to save money during the race weekend, such as the ban on refuelling and the Saturday parc ferme, will apply to both categories of team. We are also thinking about a much bigger capacity KERS for the cost-capped teams. But all this must be covered by the £30 million - no exceptions and no free or subsidised outside help.

"Anything supplied by another team or an outside supplier will be included at its full commercial cost except for items supplied to all teams at subsidised rates under the single supplier arrangements negotiated by the FIA (e.g. for tyres), which allow all teams to benefit equally from reduced costs."

He added: "The engine will comply with current rules, except that there will be no rev limit and no development freeze. However, the entire engine expenditure will come out of the cap. If the engine is supplied by an outside commercial entity or another team, we will have to be satisfied that there is no hidden subsidy.

"If a team has its own engine, we will check its full cost just as we will the rest of the car. The current rule limiting manufacturers to supplying engines to one additional team each will remain in place."

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok, hold the f**king boat here. WAT? First off, £30m budget cap? Get real. Secondly, total technical freedom for lower budgets? This effectivly has just turned F1 into multi-class racing with 2 rule books.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: F1 2010 Rules and Budget Cap (hilarious read!)
Date: March 17, 2009 04:13PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, this is an awful idea...

sure, it would be great to have some more teams in F1, but not in this way.

EDIT: Mosley pretty much concedes that the budget cap teams don't have a chance of winning...

"There is no reason why cost-capped teams could not win races. The massive and highly organised unlimited-expenditure teams are perhaps likely to do a better job of going racing. They will have the most expensive race engineers and tacticians not to mention the top-earning drivers. However, racing is (and should be) unpredictable."

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 04:32PM by SchueyFan.
THIS IS GAY! The FIA has killed Formula 1.
Date: March 17, 2009 04:35PM
A team needs a minimum of about 24 people to operate during a race weekend. If they are on £30k each (which is low for the job they are doing) then you are already at £720. Now you have to add catering accomodation, press, team principles and the "higher up" guys who will command a much larger salary. And that is before you add the crew back at the factory and the drivers. Kimi already has a $50m salary.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 17, 2009 04:35PM
Posted by: EC83
That really is LOL shockingly poor. £30million budget cap including the drivers' and team bosses' salaries?! No amount of 'tweaking' will make regulations like this remotely reasonable.

Date: March 17, 2009 04:37PM
Posted by: elemental
Way to ruin preseason excitement FIA.
Date: March 17, 2009 04:43PM
Posted by: SexySam182
F1 is as good as dead.

Date: March 17, 2009 04:44PM
Posted by: EC83
elemental Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Way to ruin preseason excitement FIA.

Yup, on a roll at the moment aren't they?

Date: March 17, 2009 04:45PM
Posted by: chet
The FIA have gone about this all the wrong way, but its something we've come to expect.

To follow the cap is by choice thankfully, its not mandatory...

I think it could be a good idea to get new teams into F1 and increase the numbers, but any existing teams it is quite impossible.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 17, 2009 04:58PM
To follow the cap is by choice thankfully, its not mandatory...

Why is that a good thing? Now we have 2 sets of regulations, 2 classes of car, but sharing the points.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 17, 2009 05:03PM
Posted by: chet
It could help new teams enter. I doubt it because I dont believe even Minardi ran with that much money!!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 17, 2009 05:09PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Kimi is gaining pratically 2x that, what a cut is coming into him.
Date: March 17, 2009 05:10PM
Posted by: Fincent
Lol, I'd be very surprised if this thread gets any "well I actually think this is a good idea" respones.

I know, why dont I go and get my Corsa out the garage? I could run that for FAR less than £30 million a year, and no one can stop me because I have complete technical freedom! Infact, I'll go and tell the neighbor. They can set up Ford Mondeo F1! Just stick some binlids on the front and there you have it, movable aero devices!

Abosutely f**cking appalled at this. And the new 'points' system too...

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 05:11PM by Fincent.
Date: March 17, 2009 05:15PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Wonder now if teams with refined aero options like Ferrari will be able to dump their 08 upgrades again in case they get all adapted into that.
Date: March 17, 2009 05:50PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I'd love to find the backing of someone to buy some early 2000's F1 car, make minor modifications and race it with a small budget and no hopes of improvement just for the thrill of being in F1. Expect Ricardo Rossett II to enter ;).
Date: March 17, 2009 06:52PM
Posted by: gav
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd love to find the backing of someone to buy
> some early 2000's F1 car, make minor modifications
> and race it with a small budget and no hopes of
> improvement just for the thrill of being in F1.

Such as... oh, I don't know... Aguri Suzuki? ;-)
Date: March 17, 2009 06:59PM
Posted by: Monza972
Why not just give teams a budget of £1 where they can buy a pizza of any toppings from Iceland?

These are some of the most hideous rules put into F1 to entice fans. Actually, it isn't. I don't think have considered any of the fans opinion from the survey created last year and nor they will this year. Load of tosh this is.
Date: March 17, 2009 07:40PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
This isn't the 'death of F1' as some have posted. However it's not a good move. Voluntary caps are not hats needed, who in their right mind, for whatever bonuses, is going to use the cap unless they are remotely near the £30 million.

IMO they haven't thought this through, this is a knee jerk reaction too teams wanting lower costs but not wanting enforced caps.

Date: March 17, 2009 07:49PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Outsource manufacturing to 3rd world countries and take advantage of the ever changing exchange ration by using local currency!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy