3 questions about present and past !

Posted by mitadumapaga 
3 questions about present and past !
Date: March 14, 2009 08:43PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
hello f1 fans , i have two questions that bother me for quite a long time.
1) What exactly happened in the 1991 canadian gp. Because i wathched the season review and mansells car let go. but when i looked in the formula 1 official site he (mansell) was out of the race just one lap before the end. and as much as i could see form the season review it was just one corner beofre the end of the race ( just before the later called WALL OF CHAMPIONS )
So what was the reason for this retirment is my first question ?

2) after 1999 british grand prix and michael schumacher breaking his leg, ediie irvine must have said some harsh things about ferrari and schumacher , because in AUSTRIA (the race) martin brundle and Murray Walker was discussing what irvine has said after the british grand prix and murray said " i am sure eddie didn't mean it " . As much as i know ( and i know a lot about f1 :P ) irvine and schumacher were very good buddies on and off the track .
so my second question is : Does anybody know what so controversial has irvine said after the 1999 british grand prix ?

3) My third question is : why does everybody so much hates James Allen. :) I 've watched a lot of f1 races with him and martin commentating and he is not as cool as murray , but he is very competent and makes ,I THINK , comments .
Re: 3 questions about present and past !
Date: March 14, 2009 08:49PM
Posted by: chet
3) I dont hate him. He is a cock when he commentates, but ive learnt to well occasionally like it, and learnt he doesnt commentate for me and you, who generally know our way the in's and out's of F1 but for everyone. His role is to look dumb and for Martin to look clever. His pre-season blog thing displays some informative information with a very balanced opinion. The guy could be a great commentator, but instead he is a great F1 journalist.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 14, 2009 08:49PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
1 - IIRC, Mansell claims the car broke. But it is widely accepted that whilst waving to the crowd he screwed up, stalled the engine and retired.

2 - no idea

3 - Because hes an idiot. Constantly explaining the same crap over and over again. Fake enthusiasm, and some comments so stupid that even Martin Brundle had nothing to say to them. When Jenson won his first GP, I'd have been happy for someone to shoot James in the face for the way he acted. There are much better commentators available, but James was an ITV bum-boy since the start so got the deal.

His books are fine, and when he was a pit lane reporter he was good too (better than Ted anyway). But he isn't anywhere near good enough to be a main commentator.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 08:50PM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 14, 2009 09:03PM
Posted by: Frantic
2. Think he said he was waiting something like that to be the driver 1 of the team. I think he was meaning he want a chance to show his talent, not he was waiting to something happens to MS to be the driver 1..

Date: March 14, 2009 09:49PM
Dave, I believe James got the job at ITV because he appealled to alot of people, and a large range of people.

Whereas this year BBC are probably more so going to appeal to the more hardcore fans with very insightful commentary. Im not saying the Lewis-followers (who decided F1 was cool in 07/08) will not appreciate the more proffesional approach to the programing, just that it probably wont be as appeal as much as the pinky and brain style we had at ITV. Allen was meant to be the cock, and played the part well.

Date: March 14, 2009 09:56PM
Dave, I believe James got the job at ITV because he appealled to alot of people, and a large range of people.

He was already a pit reporter when Murray was working for ITV. He was first in line for it and the easiest to throw into the spot. I highly doubt he was meant to be the cock, because all he did was make ITV look like incompetent morons through his career. (Well, more-so, since ITV can't cover sports for crap).

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 14, 2009 09:59PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
With regards to Canada 1991, Mansell had said that the gearbox was working fine until the later stages of the race, where on the last lap it stayed in 6th, thus stalling the engine in the low-speed hairpin.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 14, 2009 10:05PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
"When Jenson won his first GP, I'd have been happy for someone to shoot James in the face for the way he acted"
loooooooooool ,indeed, he was roaring so enthusiastic :) poor anthony davidson, his ears must have gone broken :D

"1 - IIRC, Mansell claims the car broke. But it is widely accepted that whilst waving to the crowd he screwed up, stalled the engine and retired. "

such a bad luck , the guy deserved more than just one title. He was a fighter, not a perfectly precious driver like prost or scumacher in his late days , but that passion of him was something that make me wathch old season and races in formula 1. Adelaide '86 .... Damn unlucky because whatever tyrse issue he had, he just needed two more corners to eneter the pit , except such a biiig ang as it was.

and thanks for the aanswers . i wish you nice and thrilling season in f1 ;)
Date: March 14, 2009 10:05PM
Oh yeah, I know he was a pitline reporter (and did a pretty fine job at that) but even with Murray and Martin, Murray had to be the one to ask the questions and get an expert answer for Martin... I think James just filled that role but much more to an extreme. He made ITV look incompetent, but no more than Steve Ryder and Blundell did, and most of the time it was them who made the show far worse imo!

We know full well both of them could have made better use of our time and theirs (well Blundell maybe not :p) by actually talking about something worth while. I cant remember, but apparently Steve was a pretty good presenter beforehand? But I think they just had to fit into the roles ITV set them, which were to be understood by probably a much younger, and wider audience than what BBC will intend.

We are all looking forward to BBCs coverage, but there will quite a few out there who will not enjoy that it is going to be to a higher intellectual standard...

PS -

;)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 10:06PM by chet.
Date: March 14, 2009 10:06PM
Posted by: Sapo
2) I believe it was the standard thing all teammates of MS said: they didn't get fair chances and had a slower car, the whole team was build around Schumacher. Only Irvine always expressed himself a bit harsher, (things like: driving in the same team as MS is liking being hit with a baseballbat every weekend over and over again).

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: March 14, 2009 10:19PM
Posted by: danm
i think i am one of the vast minority who actually will miss james allen in the commentary box this year.

and his excitement at hungary wasn't THAT bad!!!

this video I posted before is funny though :P

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

edit, damn didn't see chet post it! here it is embedded though, lol!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 10:27PM by danm.
Date: March 14, 2009 11:53PM
Posted by: Frantic
hey, if James Allen appealled to alot of people, and a large range of people, then that people speak english worse that me ;)

Date: March 14, 2009 11:55PM
Posted by: EC83
1) AFAIK there was a glitch in the Williams gearbox which Mansell was failing to make allowances for. Instead of concentrating on each gearchange as he needed to be doing, as Dave points out, he concentrated on the crowd. Hence he couldn't get the car going again once he'd gone round the "Pit Hairpin".

2) MS and Eddie were genuinely good mates to begin with, but tension built up over time regarding the famous contract which dictated Eddie must be Michael's user-friendly #2. It really took off after Eddie won the 1999 Australian GP, when he got increasingly frustrated about having a contract which wouldn't allow him to race Michael or win races unless Michael was effectively out of the race. That was the root of his various comments after MS broke his leg - basically a venting of a great deal of frustration. Though I haven't found any sources yet, I remember from the time Eddie's comments being along the lines of "This is the best thing that could've happened to Ferrari" and other equally strong things, his meaning being that now the contract situation couldn't apply anymore. Agreed with Sapo on this one too.

3) Because of the fingernails-squeaking-down-a-blackboard factor. The guy is so full of cheesy, pointless and smug comments, he's just sheer agony to listen to. Why ITV kept him on as a commentator for so long, when surely they knew how unpopular he was, is baffling to say the least. The commentary on that 2006 Hungarian GP was so horrendous and badly-informed, with such blatant JB fanboyism from Allen, it's the only F1 video I have which I'd actually rather watch on mute. Thank God he won't be ruining the starts of Grands Prix anymore. "Turn off the sound and enjoy!"

I can't comment on his books as I've never read them. I lost any will to after he started commentating :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 05:38AM by EC83.
Date: March 14, 2009 11:56PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
It's fairly well known that Allen was quite good "friends" with the upstairs management that produced ITV F1, so despite the bad publicity from certain websites, forums, the fanbase he would never have gotten replaced for the forseeable future because of no direct competition until Bernie stepped in and cancelled the contract.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 11:59PM by 97kirkc.
Date: March 15, 2009 08:34AM
With regards to Canada 1991, Mansell had said that the gearbox was working fine until the later stages of the race, where on the last lap it stayed in 6th, thus stalling the engine in the low-speed hairpin.

Mansells stroy of what happened changes on a weekly basis. The mans full of sh*t, like when he claimed he slowed down at Aus 94 because he seen Schumacher and Hill were about to crash, which was impossible unless he can see through walls.

Mansell screwed it up, and went for his usual excuses of to why he didn't win.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 15, 2009 09:57AM
Posted by: gav
Allen's Hungary commentary is the stuff of nightmares, but let's not forget the puppet (muppet) next to him either. Davidson isn't a commentator by any means*, but he was equally dire on that day. Most of what he said was true, but it was so poorly executed that for once I wanted James Allen to turn the gun on someone else first.

*well wasn't at that point - he's doing 5Live commentary this year, so I'll reserve further judgement until he's grabbed the ropes
Date: March 15, 2009 02:10PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Irvine definitely was looking for parity at Ferrari during 1999, and was holding a prospective drive for Stewart as some sort of bargaining tool,mouthing off about being better than Schumacher, DC and Hakkinen and generally complaining that the Ferrari was too slow. Then there were all sorts of rumours like this wishlist Schumacher was supposed to have drawn up of drivers he would prefer to replace Irvine. In the end, the switch to Stewart/Jaguar happened anyway. I think Eddie may have worded a statement in such a way that after Schumacher's accident, it appeared that he was actually challenging Ferrari to give him the same chance they would give to MS to win the champ. As it happened, between Eddie's poor enough driving and Ferrari's lack of interest, they didn't pull it off.

1991 Canada: Mansell cocked it, stalled the engine. I love him even more for it.

@ chet Ever so slightly off-topic, what are this Rolo Tomassi crowd like, they're playing in my town next month! :)
Date: March 15, 2009 02:27PM
pretty mental lol! check out their myspace...

Date: March 15, 2009 02:51PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With regards to Canada 1991, Mansell had said that
> the gearbox was working fine until the later
> stages of the race, where on the last lap it
> stayed in 6th, thus stalling the engine in the
> low-speed hairpin.
>
> Mansells stroy of what happened changes on a
> weekly basis. The mans full of sh*t, like when he
> claimed he slowed down at Aus 94 because he seen
> Schumacher and Hill were about to crash, which was
> impossible unless he can see through walls.
>
> Mansell screwed it up, and went for his usual
> excuses of to why he didn't win.

Oh come on Dave, you and I both know that that gearbox was a load of crap the first 4 or 5 races. Like with any new technologies they were working out the rather big bugs in the system, one of which happens to be that 6-speed semi-automatic gearbox that was more sophisticated than Ferraris, newer, but had obvious performance benefits over a conventional box. The fact Mansell was a cocky b****rd waving to the crowd on the last lap overhyping Murray Walker's emotions is neither here nor there, the car ultimately failed, Mansell failed to get it under control, and he paid the price.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 15, 2009 07:56PM
Posted by: LS.
Mansell blamed the car, Williams grandprix blamed Mansell for it, saying he stall it by letting the revs drop by waving to the crowd

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy