Bourdais tells it like it is

Posted by BAR#10 
Bourdais tells it like it is
Date: September 21, 2008 01:57PM
Posted by: BAR#10
Here's an excellent interview with Le Seb, very insightfull about the car, his teammate, Spa, whether STR should keep him(SB). The guy really is a straightshooter.
[www.autosport.com]

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2008 01:59PM by BAR#10.
Re: Bourdais tells it like it is
Date: September 21, 2008 05:08PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I find it difficult to believe anything he says after the 2007 CCWS races. He was pretty far from a straight shooter in his time in the US.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 21, 2008 06:14PM
I am aware of certain complaints (by CCWS fans) like that from Champ Car days (especially his comments bout Dornboos' win in Montreal).
It seems as if he has changed. Or have the surroundings changed? I don't know.
But in his F1 interviews he is very straightforward and in the said interview seems very honest.

GPGSL career;
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 02:56AM by BAR#10.
Date: September 22, 2008 01:59AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it difficult to believe anything he says
> after the 2007 CCWS races. He was pretty far from
> a straight shooter in his time in the US.

Not a surprising point of view coming from a Paul Tracy fan... ;)

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 02:57AM by Jagdpanzer.
Date: September 22, 2008 03:18AM
Posted by: sasjag
Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> DaveEllis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I find it difficult to believe anything he says
> > after the 2007 CCWS races. He was pretty far
> from
> > a straight shooter in his time in the US.
>
>
> Not a surprising point of view coming from a Paul
> Tracy fan... ;)

Last I checked he rated Tracy as grossly overrated (i may be wrong though :P)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: September 22, 2008 04:13AM
Not a surprising point of view coming from a Paul Tracy fan... ;)

I'm not a Paul Tracy fan. Go fail somewhere else.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2008 04:16AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Then share you facts as to why Bourdais is "far from a straight shooter".

That is, if you have anything other to offer than personal bias in that regard...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: September 22, 2008 04:37AM
Yeah sure. How about when he called Doornbos a "cheater" after Bourdais got beaten at Mont-Tremblant? He claimed Doornbos ran him off the road - whilst in reality, Bourdais jumped the start (and was NOT penalised for it), went off when it rained, overtook 2 cars under safety car, and then lost. Oh, and let us not forget his hissy fit on the podium. Doornbos shook hands with Will Power (3rd) and then turned to shake hands with Bourdais who simply looked at him, much to the hilarity of Will Power beside him. In fact, here is a photo of it =

And here you can even hear his little rant. Listen for the boos, it really is funny.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

And here is a video of a podium.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Other examples? Running into Paul Tracy, Vegas 2005, and blaming Tracy. That was a good one. Or how about Cleveland, when someone else drove into Tracy, causing an accident which Bourdais got collected in, and Bourdais claimed "Tracy tried to f**king kill me".

Oh, and I've met him. And had the 'joy' of 'working' with him for a short time. And thank god it was short, as I really didn't enjoy it.

And just for the crack, here is a post from you on the subject

Date: July 02, 2007 11:54PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer (IP Logged)

Bourdais didn't win himself any friends with that display. Hard to say who is the biggest prick in CCWS, him or Paul Tracy.

It'd be good if you could even remember your own opinion when posting on these boards. Gotta be careful with that - someone might call you out on it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 04:42AM by DaveEllis.
Date: September 22, 2008 09:34AM
Posted by: gav
Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> Not a surprising point of view coming from a Paul
> Tracy fan... ;)

:D

It's NeilP who's the Paul Tracy fan, and somehow I doubt it's for his immense talent, more that he's got some balls and tends to do things other might not consider (not necessarily a good or bad thing). Same reason why Plato has fans in the BTCC. :P

Anyway, however much of a fan Dave *would* have been of Tracy, it's clear BAR#10 is more of a fanboy of Bourdais.

I happen to feel Bourdais has had an unfairly hard time in F1. It seems that most of the paddock wanted him to fail before Melbourne even got under way.

But he's had a strong season. He was outpaced early on by Vettel (and generally, though not by much of late), but then Vettel kept throwing it off the road in the first 1/3 of the season too, so Bourdais kind won on that front. He's not a kid. He can't jump into an F1 car and just drive it fast like some of the youngsters which have come into the sport in the past decade, people who know no different. He's got to learn a new craft, relearn how to drive again almost. That's shown as the season's gone on, and as the team have moved further to the front.

Don't get me wrong. He'll never win a race (unless in freaky circumstances), but had he come into F1 perhaps 3-5 years previous, then he probably will have done.

He was a twat in CCWS, pure and simple. But he's shown none of that petulance and ego in F1, not in the public eye at least. I think people ought to start paying him some more respect. I think he's earned it nice and quietly.

Other than perhaps commercially, STR wouldn't be any better off with any of the drivers they're pimping for the seats than who they've already got.
Date: September 22, 2008 01:59PM
gav Wrote:
> Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not a surprising point of view coming from a
> Paul
> > Tracy fan... ;)
>
> :D
>
> It's NeilP who's the Paul Tracy fan, and somehow I
> doubt it's for his immense talent, more that he's
> got some balls and tends to do things other might
> not consider (not necessarily a good or bad
> thing). Same reason why Plato has fans in the
> BTCC. :P
>
> Anyway, however much of a fan Dave *would* have
> been of Tracy, it's clear BAR#10 is more of a
> fanboy of Bourdais.
>
> I happen to feel Bourdais has had an unfairly hard
> time in F1. It seems that most of the paddock
> wanted him to fail before Melbourne even got under
> way.
>
> But he's had a strong season. He was outpaced
> early on by Vettel (and generally, though not by
> much of late), but then Vettel kept throwing it
> off the road in the first 1/3 of the season too,
> so Bourdais kind won on that front. He's not a
> kid. He can't jump into an F1 car and just drive
> it fast like some of the youngsters which have
> come into the sport in the past decade, people who
> know no different. He's got to learn a new craft,
> relearn how to drive again almost. That's shown as
> the season's gone on, and as the team have moved
> further to the front.
>
> Don't get me wrong. He'll never win a race (unless
> in freaky circumstances), but had he come into F1
> perhaps 3-5 years previous, then he probably will
> have done.
>
> He was a twat in CCWS, pure and simple. But he's
> shown none of that petulance and ego in F1, not in
> the public eye at least. I think people ought to
> start paying him some more respect. I think he's
> earned it nice and quietly.
>
> Other than perhaps commercially, STR wouldn't be
> any better off with any of the drivers they're
> pimping for the seats than who they've already
> got.

Do you even know what a fanboy means, gav?:D
While I support the guy cause I like the idea of four time champ crossing over to another series and finally have someone to cheer for in F1, I certainly wouldn't support him,, if he said or did something major I wouldn't agree with.
So far he's been very okay in F1,meaning: straightshooting,not looking for excuses, non arrogant, down to earth.
That's why I mentioned the surroundings may have changed and thus his reaction on it. Maybe US was tougher in terms of egos and abbraiseviness in the paddock(towards him that is). But like I said, maybe, I wasn't there,I don't know.

A fanboy unconditionally defends his driver without questioning him, you don't see that from me. (see my reply to Dave's 1st post)
But, gav, hey I'm pretty new to the fanboy stuff, so I might be wrong, sucka.:p. And just so you won't take this personally I should mention that so far I've considered you one of the best posters on this board. Let's keep it that way.

Seems like Dave has a personal resentiment towards Bourdais- and if he elaborates what happened when he was working with him, we may understand why. It's his prerogative to feel any way he wants, obviously, and I don't know Dave and he may have probbably felt like that before he met him anyway.

And honestly I didn't follow CCWS much in depth, however I am aware of certain stuff like mentioned above. Yeah, he felt screwed in Montreal, reffering to the blocking and Dornboos' changing lines.

Anyway, was there ever a champion without ego?

In closing, can anyone complaint about Bourdais' in the posted interview? What is so hard to believe in there?
Was I wrong on my assesment? Tell me, if so and we can debate.
So far I've only heard about his past.

GPGSL career;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 02:12PM by BAR#10.
Date: September 22, 2008 02:16PM
Posted by: red 5
Date: September 22, 2008 01:59PM
Posted by: BAR#10 (IP Logged)

Seems like Dave has a personal resentiment towards Bourdais and if he elaborates what happened when he was working with him, we may understand why.
It's his prerogative to feel any way he wants, obviously.

Dave has a personal resentiment towards everything. (that is his trademark)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 02:29PM by red 5.
Date: September 22, 2008 03:02PM
Posted by: sasjag
FWIW I don't like Bourdais either, there's something about him I don't agree with,not having the good grace to congratulate someone on beating you is what turned it for me. I also remember hearing that he has a tendency to shout at the mechanics/engineers when the car isn't handling how he likes it.

I wouldn't of wanted him to fail in F1, but that more because the less @#$%& drivers we have the better the races could be.

I also think he's a tit for managing to throw a car into the kitty litter in turn 1 on the first lap of Le Mans :\

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: September 22, 2008 03:40PM
BAR#10 Wrote:
> Do you even know what a fanboy means, gav?:D
> While I support the guy cause I like the idea of
> four time champ crossing over to another series
> and finally have someone to cheer for in F1, I
> certainly wouldn't support him,, if he said or did
> something major I wouldn't agree with.
> So far he's been very okay in F1,meaning:
> straightshooting,not looking for excuses, non
> arrogant, down to earth.
> That's why I mentioned the surroundings may have
> changed and thus his reaction on it. Maybe US was
> tougher in terms of egos and abbraiseviness in the
> paddock(towards him that is). But like I said,
> maybe, I wasn't there,I don't know.
>
> A fanboy unconditionally defends his driver
> without questioning him, you don't see that from
> me. (see my reply to Dave's 1st post)
> But, gav, hey I'm pretty new to the fanboy stuff,
> so I might be wrong, sucka.:p. And just so you
> won't take this personally I should mention that
> so far I've considered you one of the best posters
> on this board. Let's keep it that way.

Fanboy (sometimes spelled fanboi) is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

You fall under the definition. Just because you don't criticise Bourdais doesn't mean you're not a fanboy. Just that you might not be a complete tit.

Someone who isn't a fanboy will post things that's worthy of reading or viewing on a variety of subjects. It's probably fair to say that the overwhelming content of the majority of your posts in the F1 forum has been heavily sided on the subject of Bourdais, and primarily defending him. Therefore, you are a fanboy. Just not Bruninho.
Date: September 22, 2008 03:53PM
Wiki is your source?
I got urban dictionary:
fanboy

Someone far beyond a simple fan.
No, not the type of fan which keeps people cool.

An arrogant person who goes into an outburst every time something he likes is questioned. Fanboys usually acuse others of being fanboys.

As far as the defending of Le Seb goes, that comes from wanting to balance things in the public oppinion of this forum. If everyone'd be onesided with Bourdais, I probbably wouln't post that much.
As I mentioned somewhere else, I ussually go with the underdog.
I do however support Bourdais, no doubt about it, but a fanboy is a deragotary term, that doesn't fit.

GPGSL career;
Date: September 22, 2008 04:19PM
Erm yeah. As Urban Dictionary is much better... it too can be added to or edited by anyone. And there's also 7 pages for "fanboy", so you could come up with pretty much any definition you liked. I'll stick with my single and looser definition thanks.

Fanboy isn't necessarily a derogatory term, it's just a term. It can be derogatory, but then again so could most such descriptions.

I'm a GPL fanboy, but that doesn't make liking GPL a negative thing in the eyes of the vast majority, I think it would be fair to assume.
Date: September 22, 2008 04:26PM
Yeah, same deal, but at least in the urban dictionary 300 people agree and 70 don't compared to one man band written wikipedia.:D And if we stick to your wiki definition it does decribe it as "mostly applied by others as a derogatory label."
Anyway, it's okay. If that's how you see me, it's your "problem";(or in other words your buisness). Think what you want.

GPGSL career;
Date: September 22, 2008 04:44PM
Posted by: red 5
What stunned me in that article is the fact that SB is full of praise for his teammate.
He is actually saying Vettel is 3 times better than him (in his own words: "his comfort zone is 3 times bigger";)

What a modesty infact. He is not searching for excuses; he says "I'm not comfortable in a car that oversteers in slow and
understeers in highspeed corners".

So to accuse the thread starter for being fanboy is quite nonsense here because Fanboy wouldnt post a link to
the article where his favoured driver openly speaks about his teammate being better than him.
Nothing fanboyish about OP. really.

Which brings me to another question. Have you even bothered to read Bouradises interview before you started
moaning?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 04:44PM by red 5.
Date: September 22, 2008 04:48PM
Posted by: elemental
Maybe his F1 experience has humbled him a litlte.
Date: September 22, 2008 05:02PM
Posted by: J i m
red 5 Wrote:

> Which brings me to another question. Have you even
> bothered to read Bouradises interview before you
> started
> moaning?

I'd say that he very probably has. I've never seen Dave make an argument without being without being able to back it up.

He may be abrasive, but actually Dave is pretty much the fairest person you could meet.
Date: September 22, 2008 05:08PM
red 5 Wrote:
> What stunned me in that article is the fact that
> SB is full of praise for his teammate.
> He is actually saying Vettel is 3 times better
> than him (in his own words: "his comfort zone is 3
> times bigger";)

Presumably he means that Vettel can push '3 times harder' while still feeling comfortable. It doesn't mean he's 3 times better, or even necessarily any faster than Bourdais (though he is of course), just that Vettel's 'operating window' is bigger than his. I take that as meaning that Bourdais is still trying to come to terms with just how knife-edge F1 cars are compared to the relatively big, heavy cumbersome CCWS cars that he was used to, where on tracks other than ovals you could throw them around a lot more while staying in control. He doesn't feel he can do that as confidently as Vettel yet.

That's my take on it anyway.

BAR#10, you can keep looking at things the way you like, using your interpretations. I was quite clear on my views, and a clear example. If you want to class it as an insult or a put down, feel free. I never said it wasn't anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy