Rosberg to Mclaren? Heikki back to Renault?

Posted by aagancia 
Rosberg to Mclaren? Heikki back to Renault?
Date: July 16, 2008 08:49PM
Posted by: aagancia
Willi Webber seems to be very confident about it...
I hope it's true. Would love to see Nico and Lewis on thesame car.

[en.f1-live.com]

Willi Weber, most famous for being Michael Schumacher's long-time Formula One manager, has made a bold prediction about the next move for another highly rated German driver.

The 66-year-old, who currently handles the career of Williams test driver Nico Hulkenberg, reckons Nico Rosberg - who races for the Oxfordshire-based British team - will be bound for McLaren at the end of 2008.

Rosberg, 23, is under contract to Williams for 2009, but currently he is refusing to say he will definitely still be driving for the Toyota-powered outfit this time next year.

Weber told Sport Bild: "He has a clause in his contract that Williams can surely not fulfil."

Weber claims that Rosberg will be free to leave Williams if the team fails to finish fourth or better in the 2008 constructors' championship. The team currently lies sixth, nine points behind fourth placed Toyota.

Willi Weber continued: "Rosberg will replace Heikki Kovalainen, who will change back to Renault."
Re: Rosberg to Mclaren? Heikki back to Renault?
Date: July 16, 2008 09:05PM
Posted by: Frantic
If that happens, Nico will beat HAMilton, Nico is a very fast and professional driver.
And Heikki is very fast too, but if he goes back to Renault he won´t win a race, most if Alonso leaves Renault

Date: July 16, 2008 09:17PM
Posted by: IWE
Weber should just concentrate to his energy drink innovations. Might be that Rosberg drives someday for McLaren team, but its not going to happen next year.

Even less I beleave that Heikki is going back to Renault..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: July 16, 2008 09:26PM
Posted by: J i m
I can't see Heikki returning to Renault, after the way he was dumped for Piquet. I can't see there being any decent opening for Rosberg, so he ought to see out his contract at Williams.
Date: July 16, 2008 09:26PM
Posted by: danm
woohoo!!! :D

though i am pleased to hear the rumours, it would be a great shame if williams, given th enew 2009 changes, bounced right up, and nico could win with the team he originally intended.

that said, i am confident in predicting him whipping lewis' butt - his technical ability will bring a LOT to mclaren.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: July 16, 2008 09:42PM
Posted by: Monza972
this might be putting more fuel on the fire

Contrary to claims from Willi Weber as previously reported, Norbert Haug has given a strong hint that McLaren-Mercedes may not be looking to alter its driver line-up for the 2009 season.

Team newcomer Heikki Kovalainen has so far scored 24 points compared to his high-profile team-mate Lewis Hamilton's 48 for the joint championship lead, but has occasionally shown very strong pace.

Haug, the boss of McLaren's German manufacturer partner Mercedes-Benz, revealed there is 'no firmly arranged time' for talks about renewing the 26-year-old Finn's current contract.

He told Auto Motor und Sport: "In the end only the speed plays a role, and he has shown that he has that.

"Not always consistently, but he has had some highlights.
Heikki is a star in the making," Haug added.

In an interview with BBC Newsbeat, Kovalainen seems to agree.

Referring to his own performance for McLaren this season, he said: "I think there's been a lot of promise and the pace has been good but we haven't got good enough results yet."
Heikki wasn't dumped for Nelson. He just refused to be a number 2 for Fernando so he was out. I could and hope to see it happen, I am still one who think he can get the job done.
Date: July 17, 2008 10:26PM
Posted by: chet
Would be a nice battle, but Id say Nico would win it.
Sadly I dotn think it will happen, at least not for a few years.

Nico will see his contract out imo. If his contract does have a perf clause it will still cause trouble I think, and he doesnt want to do what Jenson did tbh.

And why would Mclaren dump Heikki ? He has had a very unlucky season, but he has been quick, ok on occasion but he's done nothing wrong for them to dump him for another driver. He will and has improved.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
I don't think them being teammates would be great. McLaren (Ron Dennis) would hold him back like they do with everyone for Lewis.
Date: July 18, 2008 06:01AM
Posted by: Guimengo
as much as I like Nico, it's funny to see people saying he'll trash Lewis. I highly doubt it, Lewis is very capable and will have had 2 full years of experience in that car.
Date: July 18, 2008 06:22AM
Posted by: gareth
Renault#1Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think them being teammates would be great.
> McLaren (Ron Dennis) would hold him back like they
> do with everyone for Lewis.

Everyone? All two of them?

When the first of them came within a point of him and two points off a third straight World Championship that's a fairly terrible nobbling effort on Ron's behalf, but this year clearly Ron's orchestrating every bit of misfortune Heikki's suffered including a 200km/h shunt so maybe Ron really is a magician?

I'm no Lewis fan, but I think he might just be as good as people far more informed than I seem to think. I don't think Nico would disgrace himself in anyway at McLaren, but to think that he'd be infront of Lewis or that Mclaren would 'hold him back' is pushing it.
Well I think Heikki has been held up, I have no doubt Fernando was and he could have won the title if not for it. As well as Coulthard, no doubt and probable Montoya.
Date: July 18, 2008 09:04AM
Posted by: Ali
Renault#1Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I think Heikki has been held up, I have no
> doubt Fernando was and he could have won the title
> if not for it. As well as Coulthard, no doubt and
> probable Montoya.

Well, I don't know if all of them were.But Heikki, no doubt. He has been considered n2 driver implicitly (despite all McLaren fans would say "no way!, Heikki has had the same opportunities and Fernando was beaten by Lewis". But Heikki has always qualified heavier than Lewis and watching some moves like in France, when Heikki let Lewis pass at the beginning of the race, there little room to doubt to me.

So then, which is the move now?
According to all rumors I remember or read:

Rosberg -> McLaren, Heikki -> Renault, Alonso -> Ferrari, Kubica -> ? (Ferrari), Massa -> ?, Kimi -> ? (BMW), Vettel -> Red Bull, Senna -> Toro Rosso, Piquet -> ?, Heidfeld -> ?

What a silly season this year!!!
Date: July 18, 2008 09:36AM
Posted by: Guimengo
if anything, BMW would let Nick Heidfeld go as he's proven he's just a decent driver while Kubica is a true racer.
Date: July 18, 2008 11:42AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
much like last year, it all depends on where alonso goes.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 18, 2008 11:43AM
Posted by: vesuvius
Heikki isn't going anywhere from McLaren ..what he said before Silverstone gp that he will stay with them many years :) Rosberg could go to BMW.
I don't see why BMW would want to change their line-up though. I know Heidfeld hasn't had the best season, but he is a very good driver and I don't think they'd dump him just on this season.

[Website]
Date: July 18, 2008 11:55AM
yes, and next year with very different rules it will be good to have some experience i think. i think alonso will have to stay at renault for one more year personally, rosberg too, because next year with new rules there is a big chance that the pecking order could change dramatically, and smaller teams use this as a way to move up the field. for example, at the start of this year i remember an interview with rosberg, and he said williams was unlikely to make too much progress because the rules hadn't changed much from 2007.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 19, 2008 01:39AM
Posted by: brunoboi
My guess would be McLaren and Williams stay put for next season, with an all new car to develop I think the majority of teams will favour experienced drivers. After 2009, then we may see some major changes as all the teams and drivers get settled down again.

Date: July 19, 2008 12:45PM
yes, after 2009 it seems there will be large-scale changes. i can't see rubens going on into 2010, and fisi may not make it either. it will all depend on alonso (again), and also whether kimi's retirement rumours have any substance

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy