Matt Bishop joins McLaren

Posted by Red Sam 
Matt Bishop joins McLaren
Date: September 26, 2007 09:18PM
Posted by: Red Sam
From Autosport.com

F1 Racing's editor in chief Matt Bishop has been appointed Group Head of Communications and Public Relations for McLaren.

Bishop will leave Haymarket, where he also held the position of editorial director for the motorsport division, at the end of the year and will begin work at Woking in January 2008.

Forty-four-year-old Bishop joined F1 Racing shortly after its inception in 1996, leading it on to become the best selling Formula One magazine in the world.

His flamboyant personality and prolific writing, coupled with strong ties within the paddock, has made him one of the best known and most powerful motorsport journalists in the world.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Re: Matt Bishop joins McLaren
Date: September 26, 2007 09:50PM
Posted by: Fincent
Really? Hmmn, didn't see that one coming! I can't imagine he'll continue writing for the mag then otherwise i doubt it would be a little bit biased ;) . Who dya reckon will take his role as editor?

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: September 26, 2007 10:29PM
Posted by: Muks_C
seen him hanging around a lot in the background of ITV's F1 coverage (a perk of writing about F1 i suppose).

good for him!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 26, 2007 10:53PM
Posted by: HaGGiS
Does this mean he has to wear Mclaren clothes then? Or will they let him wear those 'interesting' shirts still?

"No it's not a skirt"
Date: September 26, 2007 10:54PM
Posted by: tripleM
After a brilliant face saving job McLaren managed to pull off it is an injustice to sign Bishop.

Date: September 26, 2007 11:16PM
Posted by: mikef1
Not a particular fan of his articles but good for him anyway.
Date: September 27, 2007 12:06AM
Posted by: Peat
yeah, good for him.

Date: October 01, 2007 07:51PM
Posted by: dkpioe
matt bishop isnt very smart, he claimed Fisichella is the 2nd best driver in f1 in his magazine, after spa 2001 race, where fisi only finished 3rd because he gained spots by safety car intervention and benetton launch control. he made a big fuss about it, putting him on the front cover and naming him 2nd best driver in the world. ithink instead of writing ridiculous articles, he should be worried about his weight and cholesterol level.
Date: October 01, 2007 08:31PM
Posted by: villej
Way to go dkpioe! Very smart to say personal insults of someone because of his opinions in the past of some driver!

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: October 01, 2007 08:38PM
Posted by: gin
Date: October 01, 2007 09:27PM
Posted by: Muks_C
so, because he's slightly bigger than an "average" man, he can't give his opinion on anything in the world at any time ever in the history of the universe?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 01, 2007 10:41PM
@dkpioe:

Fisichella was also voted best driver by his F1 competitors, i forget the year, but it was in early 00's. Suppose that makes the whole grid pretty stupid too? :D

"No it's not a skirt"
Date: October 01, 2007 10:58PM
Posted by: bestobritish
dkpioe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> matt bishop isnt very smart, he claimed Fisichella
> is the 2nd best driver in f1 in his magazine,
> after spa 2001 race, where fisi only finished 3rd
> because he gained spots by safety car intervention
> and benetton launch control. he made a big fuss
> about it, putting him on the front cover and
> naming him 2nd best driver in the world. ithink
> instead of writing ridiculous articles, he should
> be worried about his weight and cholesterol level.

Biggest load of crap ive read on here in ages n thats going some.

Fisi drove an awsome race that day in a car that shouldnt have been that high up the field. If it was the LC that got him up there, how come he didnt fall miles back into the pack. Back then he was a very quick driver but these days he has lost it and way past his best.

Oh and who cares if hes a chunky monkey, he still knows alot more than you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 01, 2007 11:04PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
He doesn't look that fat to me. Bigger than average, sure, but not exactly massive. Not that it actually matters.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 01, 2007 11:06PM
Posted by: danm
dkpioe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> matt bishop isnt very smart, he claimed Fisichella
> is the 2nd best driver in f1 in his magazine,
> after spa 2001 race, where fisi only finished 3rd
> because he gained spots by safety car intervention

In his opinion, he *underline this word ultra uber emphasis* CLAIMED fisi was the second best driver in F1.

Everyone has their opinions, and their own justified reasons. Granted, you are allowed to as well.

There is not one significant way determine the best driver, there just isnt a heads versus tails/black versus white solid answer. It is too ambigious a question.

I for one would put Jean Alesi as one of a small bunch the best drivers of all time - I have my reasons, others have theirs. Alesi in the wet being my card and reason.

So in brief conclusion to your way of thinking, you Mr dkpioe arent very smart either then, surely? As I claim you aren't, thus I am right then?

Each to their own!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 03, 2007 09:29PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
Bishop has been at F1 Racing for some time. Particularly as the E-I-C. In the last 3 years Ive stopped reading the magazine because the content was becoming boring and sterile. How many times was there a "Michael is the greatest here are the stats to proove it" or "In this piece our journos write imaginary letters/interivews to some team boss/driver to try and imagine what it would be like to be important" or even more likely "Jaques attack" I could also do without him claiming (more than once) McLaren won a race because he shook Rons hand on the grid.

Prety much the best things Ive ever read in F1R were the "long interviews" and even then only when they were with Team managers. I particularly remember Ron's one in 04 being very good.

So, given the magazines decline (once the even more superficial "official" F1 magazine had run out of impetus) why do McLaren feel he would be a good addition to their "brand". Maybe I nailed it with "boring and sterile"
Date: October 03, 2007 09:43PM
Posted by: mikef1
Summed up nicely there Nemesis.
Date: October 03, 2007 10:18PM
One thing that really annoys me with F1 Racing these days is those articles, usually written by Peter Windsor i think, where he 'goes inside the head' of the driver and writes it as if he is the driver himself almost.

That, and the fact that one month they can have an article on one driver, the next month on his teammate, and completely contradict the content of the previous article.

"No it's not a skirt"
Date: October 03, 2007 10:23PM
Posted by: Red Sam
I stopped subscribing to F1 Racing when I got sick of the constant "Schumacher is God" articles, and Matt Bishop ejaculating all over Giancarlo Fisichella.

That and they didnt send me the BAR rucksack they promised!!

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: October 03, 2007 10:39PM
Posted by: NickR
Alesi in the wet. My best mate and I still talk about it now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy