Muzza!!!!! Bring back Murray campaign

Posted by bob1977 
Muzza!!!!! Bring back Murray campaign
Date: July 24, 2007 09:00AM
Posted by: bob1977
Did anyone else here dear old Murray Walker doing the five live f1 commmentary in the uk? It was superb, forgotten how much he's missed!!! He got everything completely wrong but he made the race sound amazing. It all got a bit much for him at one point though and he was just making random noises!!!

BRING BACK MURRAY!!!! (Sorry James Allen but face it you are shite!!!)
Re: Muzza!!!!! Bring back Murray campaign
Date: July 24, 2007 09:01AM
Posted by: Nickv
Sorry Bob, but face it, Murray isn't gonna come back.
Date: July 24, 2007 09:15AM
Posted by: senninho
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry Bob, but face it, Murray isn't gonna come
> back.

+1, unfortunately.

Date: July 24, 2007 10:35AM
Posted by: bob1977
So true but the man is a legend!!!!!!
Date: July 24, 2007 01:05PM
Posted by: Imran
ERm anyone who heard the commentary must agree, that the man is well passed his best and way out of touch. Though he was superb in his day, the commentating last weekend was very very poor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: July 24, 2007 01:22PM
Posted by: gav
I thought he was fantastic. The guy's 83 for @#$%& sake. I just hope I'm half as sprightly, energetic and quick when I'm 2/3 of that.

He's hardly changed at all from when he hung up his mic. Bare in mind it's radio, so it's a completely different sort of audience he was broadcasting to. They assume the listeners have no visual representation of what's going on, so the commentators have to try to portray it to them. As far as I'm aware it was his first radio commentary in about 35 years, and he only slipped once I think ("as you can see" or something along those lines). He made his usual mistakes, but it's not as if James Allen is immune to them ;-)

He left the technical details to Maurice and just concentrated on his job, like he's always done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2007 01:23PM by gav.
Date: July 24, 2007 02:30PM
Posted by: mikef1
Imran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ERm anyone who heard the commentary must agree,
> that the man is well passed his best and way out
> of touch. Though he was superb in his day, the
> commentating last weekend was very very poor.

I don't agree. Murray's still got it. He did a great job for Channel 10 commentating for the Australian GP in recent years but he's just too old to do all the travelling now.

He may not be as sharp as he once was but in no way is he out of touch imo. Added to that the European GP was rather hard to follow when it rained because of how chaotic it was, Murray did a top job under those circumstances and consdering his age.
Date: July 24, 2007 02:33PM
Posted by: Muks_C
i don't think the mistakes detract from his commentary at all. if you watched the race on ITV and listened to the radio for his commentary, then you could see what actually was going on if he made a mistake, and you can forgive him because as Gav said, he's 83. he's lucky to even be active and in relatively good health, never mind attempting to keep up with what's going on in a manic F1 race!

his mistakes are all part of his charm, wereas James should really know better not to make those obvious mistakes like calling someone driver x, when it was really driver y.

his enthusiasm was infectious and he just sounded thrilled at what he was watching. James just sounds like a tit when he starts screaming, just listen to the commentary as Hamilton crossed the line for pole position at Silverstone, for a recent example.

Murray even got so excited, he said "i'll have to stop now, before i lose my voice!"

i switched the radio off when the race was red-flagged cos the went back tot he golf, but i'd have loved him to come back and join Martin for one race, the European GP especially as it was so action-packed.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy