Williams lands AT and T

Posted by bob1977 
Williams lands AT and T
Date: October 20, 2006 11:51AM
Posted by: bob1977
Williams have landed At & T as it's new title sponsor.

See itv.com/f1

Good news for Williams as they've had a few bad years.

Williams signs AT&T as new title sponsor
Friday, 20, October, 2006, 10:43

WilliamsF1 has landed something of a financial coup by concluding a multi-year title sponsorship deal with communications giant AT&T, which is currently a McLaren partner.

The news is a massive shot in the arm for the squad which has endured a difficult season and has been without a principal backer since HP quit at the end of 2005, along with BMW.

Now thanks to this deak and a three-year factory Toyota V8 engine supply, Williams looks set to emerge in rude health from its most barren spell since becoming a world championship force.

“It is a great privilege for WilliamsF1 to be an ambassador for a brand of the global size, scale and reputation of AT&T," said Frank Williams.

"It is our firm commitment to represent their interests to the very best of our ability on the race track and assist with the communication of their service offer that we, too, will have the significant benefit of being able to utilise.”

AT&T has been involved in sponsoring F1 since 2002, when it came in with the old Jaguar team, then switched to McLaren at the end of 2004.

This is the first time that the company has embarked on such a large commitment in the sport however.

“Formula 1 provides a unique platform for a global brand like AT&T,” said AT&T's Mark Keiffer.

“The shared values of AT&T and Williams — a dedication to innovation, speed, integrity and commitment to absolute excellence — are highly complementary.

"We expect that the relationship between Williams and AT&T will be a key global marketing platform for our enterprise division.”

AT&T will also provide the team with technical support through its range of communication technology.
Re: Williams lands AT and T
Date: October 20, 2006 12:14PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Oh yes!

C'mon you blues!

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: October 20, 2006 12:18PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
good to see some good sponsorship dollars for williams

hopefully they improve in 2007 - i would like to see wurz do well!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 20, 2006 12:22PM
Posted by: marcl
i would say if they dont improve next year that could be it for williams :(
Date: October 20, 2006 12:57PM
Posted by: dangermouseaix
Good Deal for williams....glad to see them with some serious financial backing again
Date: October 20, 2006 01:49PM
Posted by: Imran
who is their test driver for next year? i know they were after piquet but obviously he is at renault..

*edit* nvm..its Karthikeyan, just remembered

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2006 01:54PM by Imran.
Date: October 20, 2006 03:03PM
Posted by: J i m
I don't think they were after Piquet. They testest him along side Rosberg a couple of years back, and Rosberg always looked more impressive.

Karthikeyan brings with him the TATA backing, plus he had experience of the Toyota engine at Jordan in 2004. So his extension as test driver made sense. There was some talk of a secondary test driver... Perhapps Timo Glock. Who was supposed to have a test in a BMW at Jerez but had to cancel due to an injured wrist.

But now with Vettel confirmed as BMW's test driver I doubt BMW would appoint a second, so Williams for him looks more likely, although with reduced testing, and the new Friday arrangements at Grand Prix weekends, having a second test driver might not the way to go. But Timo would bring some backing from Deutshe Bank I belive.
Date: October 20, 2006 08:14PM
Posted by: bestobritish
great news for williams :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 20, 2006 11:36PM
Posted by: chet
Anyone know about Williams new aero signings?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 21, 2006 12:12AM
Posted by: RonnyF1
I'd love Williams to be competitive next season. Hope nico gets a car where he show what hes got OHNOES

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2006 12:16AM by RonnyF1.
Date: October 21, 2006 11:31AM
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know about Williams new aero signings?

According to Auto*** magazine, they have signed Jon Tomlinson, formerly deputy head of aerodynamics at Renault, he joins Williams in March. Also joining Williams is Amit Chakraborty, from McLaren. Loic Bigios remains at Williams with his present role in areodynamics, but he will now report to Tomlinson. (so a sideway move there for him)

Other mechanical personnel to join include Ed Wood, who replaces Joerg Zander as Chief Designer. Wood will be joined in the design team by John Russell an old time Williams man, who in recent past was the chief Designer at Jaguar, and has been a senior systems engineer in Australian V8 Touring cars for the past 3 years.

Sam Michael remains technical Director.

---

Once again Williams are showing their value as true racers. After such a season you would have been forgiven for believing that Williams were petering out. Not a bit of it! Semi Works Toyota Engines, New title sponsorship from AT&T, rumoured increased support from Phillips, new personnel from Renault and McLaren.

That’s why I love Williams, they just never go down without a fight. Fantastic. Hope they return to regular points scoring ways in 2007, and I hope it builds a platform for a return to winning ways in the future. Williams are the last true privateers in F1, if they could have one last hurrah whilst under the control of Sir Frank and Patrick Head, against the might of the manufacturers it would be simply fantastic, and typical of Williams as a whole.
Date: October 22, 2006 06:24PM
Posted by: Brianf666
And Sam gets a very sideways 're-positioning' after criticism from Patrick Head. Maybe he should have been more closely involved with what was going on in the factory. Maybe Patrick should have been, too. You can bet your life quality control will be better next season.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: October 22, 2006 06:44PM
Posted by: vorkez
I'be always loved Williams sine I saw Damon Hill, my hero, win the 96 title. It was such a shame that they lost BMW and HP, but BMW were always looking for fights within the team, and blaming Williams all the time. It was a very love-hate relationship. They loved to hate Williams.

I', happy that Williams are stepping up again, and I hope that this is a return to form, with Nico getting more experience and becoming more competitive, and good for Wurz, hope he does as well as when he subbed in McLaren.
Date: October 23, 2006 11:41AM
Brianf666 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And Sam gets a very sideways 're-positioning'
> after criticism from Patrick Head. Maybe he should
> have been more closely involved with what was
> going on in the factory. Maybe Patrick should have
> been, too. You can bet your life quality control
> will be better next season.

What is this repositioning? As far as I knew Sam is still Technical Director. Doe he retain his job title but with a slightly different role?

It would be good if Patrick Head took a more hands on approach again, but he's getting old.
Date: October 23, 2006 11:33PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Maybe with the extra dough they can hire someone to come up with a decent looking livery on their cars now......

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy