F1 comes to Laguna Seca

Posted by Karan 
F1 comes to Laguna Seca
Date: August 06, 2006 09:05AM
Posted by: Karan
ok not a GP, should still be kinda neat to watch :)

[www.speedtv.com]

Perhaps there should be an asterisk after “Historics” in the 33rd Monterey Historics Automobile Races? When you realize what’s being unleashed on an unsuspecting Laguna Seca by presenting sponsor Toyota, you’ll understand why….

Pretty much anybody within a five-mile radius will get a sonic treat when Ricardo Zonta pulls his TF106, Toyota’s 2006 Formula 1 missile, onto the undulating California circuit. And if you’re lucky enough to be there, the sight of a state-of-the-art grand prix car launching itself into the Corkscrew or flicking through Turns 9 and 10 will be something you won’t forget in a hurry. Come to think of it, it will be a pretty historic moment.
F1’s latest generation of 2.4-liter V8s kick out over 700hp, and rev to an incredible, sense-shattering 20,000rpm. The sound has a brutal, raw beauty like nothing else on earth, and to watch the screaming machine change direction, almost too quickly to comprehend, is to see why F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports.

Zonta, who raced – and won – at Laguna Seca in the 1997 FIA GT Championship with Mercedes and is now Toyota’s F1 reserve driver (the guy who races if Jarno Trulli or Ralf Schumacher is hors de combat for any reason), promises you won’t have to wait too long to experience the TF106 at the peak of its performance.

“I think it will take me only three laps to get the confidence for the circuit,” smiles the Brazilian, relishing the opportunity ahead of him. “OK, we’ll have to work a little bit on the setup for the circuit, but I think that between seven and 10 laps, I’ll be on the maximum limit.

“It’s quite a challenging track,” he adds. “I’ve had a lot of fun at Laguna Seca, and it’s still the American road course that all the guys from Europe and Brazil want to race on. There are a lot of corners where you cannot see the apex, or even the exit of some of them, but that makes it fun. It’s also very narrow – especially the fast corners – it’s a very different challenge from the other circuits that I drive on.

“In a Formula 1 car, the fact that we’re going so fast really adds to the challenge, too. Because there are a lot of gradients and bumps, you can feel the car going up in the air, even under braking. It’s nice! We’ll set the car up for medium to high downforce levels, similar to how we’d run at Barcelona, and we’ll have to make the suspension quite soft for the Corkscrew. Top speed? I’d guess at around 195mph.”

For fans wanting to max-out on the F1 car’s performance, Zonta suggests heading to the start-finish straight.

“Just past the start-finish line, there’s a little bend, a left-handed kink (Turn 1) that goes down to the Andretti Hairpin. It’s going to look very spectacular there because the braking will be very late and the cornering will have to be ultra-precise. Outside the car, it will look great; inside, I’ll be working hard!”

And a prediction for a lap time? Zonta has a mischievous glint in his eye.
“I don’t remember what the time I did in the Mercedes GT car was,” he smiles, “but the F1 car will be faster – much faster…”

Toyota’s TF106 will be the centerpiece of Toyota’s on-track activity during the weekend, but look out for a number of other cars celebrating the company’s open-wheel, sports car racing and Pikes Peak heritage. Toyota promises some star names and a few surprises among its racing roster.

Re: F1 comes to Laguna Seca
Date: August 06, 2006 01:05PM
Posted by: bestobritish
thats going to be awsome, I wish I could be there for that!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 06, 2006 01:25PM
Posted by: senninho
Yup, sounds good. Hopefully they'll time it - would be nice to see if he manages to break whatever the circuit record is.

Date: August 06, 2006 01:26PM
Posted by: Zyklef
I would imagine a Champ Car would hold the lap record for Laguna Seca but I'm not entirely sure about that.
Date: August 07, 2006 02:29AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
Lap records: [www.laguna-seca.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2006 02:32AM by Sil3nt-War.
Date: August 08, 2006 10:38PM
Posted by: pete-21
I don't know the exact difference but the Champ cars are slower at Montreal, so I assume that an F1 car will be quicker at Laguna Seca.

Jenson, Jenson, he's our man,
If he can't win it,
Someone else........er can?
Date: August 09, 2006 12:25AM
Of course champ cars are slower. They had much less power until this year and they dont appear to have anywhere near the levels of downforce an F1 car has.
Date: August 09, 2006 12:32AM
Posted by: LS.
i think the main difference in speed and laptime with champcar and F1 will be due to weight favouring the F1 car

Champ cars are built heavier to withstand impacts on concrete ovals

;-)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2006 12:34AM by LS..
Date: August 09, 2006 12:43AM
Posted by: senninho
pete-21 Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know the exact difference but the Champ cars are slower at
> Montreal, so I assume that an F1 car will be quicker at Laguna Seca.
>
> Jenson, Jenson, he's our man,
> If he can't win it,
> Someone else........will!
> (But not Hungary 2006)

Wasn't the gap in Montreal something in the order of 10 seconds?

Date: August 09, 2006 05:55PM
Posted by: AdamGilchrist
in 2002 the fastest a champcar at montreal was, was about 1.19, which is what f1 did in 1999 i think. f1 car should be about 5 seconds faster than helios time, if it has low fuel. in 2000 champcars had about 100 horspower more than f1, this year they are about the same ~700hp. but champcar is 200kg heavier, and no carbon breaks, slicks, manual shifts, and designed for ovals and road courses.
Date: August 19, 2006 08:53PM
Ricardo Zonta has beat the track record on the second day at the track with the toyota. previous record was 1:07.722 y Helio Castroneves , now it is 1:07:587. not exactly demolished the record, well see if they can do better tomorrow.
Date: August 19, 2006 11:13PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
He wasn't with new tyres though, but he'll have it tomorrow...that time should go down a few tenths more I think.
Date: August 20, 2006 12:46AM
He did that on his second lap as well.
Date: August 21, 2006 06:48PM
zonta made 1:06.596 next day on slick tyre. 1.1 seconds faster then a 6 year old champcar
Date: August 21, 2006 07:39PM
Posted by: bestobritish
thats pretty shocking lol

maybe they should put a better/braver driver behind the wheel ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 22, 2006 12:38AM
Date: August 22, 2006 01:03PM
Posted by: Jamal FAQ
It was not safe for slower car like champcar especially at the top of the hill where Gonzalo Rodregez lost his life there and Jimmy Vasser stole the champion of 1999 from Alex Zanardi at same place.It's funny to fly from that hight or breaking to view the desert from the top .
Date: August 22, 2006 01:32PM
Posted by: marcl
if only they would do a race there just looks right
Date: August 22, 2006 03:01PM
Posted by: mikef1
Great circuit, especially the corkscrew but tbh i don't think you'd get much overtaking there.
Date: August 22, 2006 03:35PM
Posted by: marcl
think u would into the 1st corner and last corner and and the 1st right hand turn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy