American GP Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by Nickv 
American GP Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: June 29, 2006 09:31AM
Posted by: Nickv

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway may be one of the most famous motorsport venues in the world, but its grand prix history is relatively short. Originally built as a test track for the Detroit motor industry in the early part of the 20th century, ‘The Brickyard’ - named for its early track surface - became a Mecca for American motor racing, thanks to the popularity of the Indy 500.

The race briefly became a round of the newly-formed world championship in the 1950s (although local drivers and cars tended to do the winning), while F1 stars Graham Hill and Jim Clark took victories in the non-championship Indy 500 in the 1960s. Other F1 stars have also had success at Indy, with Mario Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi also scoring wins in the 500. Jacques Villeneuve continued this tradition of F1 world champions triumphing at Indy when he won the race in 1995, while Juan Pablo Montoya won in 2000.

The US GP has been held at a number of venues – including Sebring, New York’s Watkins Glen, Detroit and Phoenix. The race moved back to Indy in 2000 after circuit boss Tony George built a new infield complex. In 2000 and 2003, Michael Schumacher took vital wins at the track to move to within touching distance of the title. But 2002's event was blighted by controversy when Schumacher inexplicably attempted to engineer a dead heat with team-mate Rubens Barrichello.

A major shunt for Ralf Schumacher in 2004 highlighted the challenge of the banked flat-out final turn (essentially, the Indy 500's first corner, run in reverse), while 2005 proved to be even more controversial as only six cars competed in the race following tyre problems in practice. It will be interesting to see whether the US fans' enthusiasm for Formula 1 can be restored in 2006.

Rudely copied from ITV.com ;)

I hope it will rain this weekend, it's too long ago since there was a rain race. Alonso will certainly fight for the victory I think, but I hope Kimi wins this one :)

Yay, I made my first GP thread!! ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2006 09:28PM by Morbid.
Re: American GP Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: June 29, 2006 11:46AM
Posted by: mikef1
I'm expecting Ferrari to do better this time with their great straightline top speed and Michelin perhaps going for a harder tyre compound. Hopefully Kimi will be up there with a chance of a race win and possibly if JPMs luck is in he can do well too as he usually goes well there. The championship is Alonso's now imo, so a few more winners would make this season a bit more fun.
Date: June 29, 2006 11:47AM
Posted by: chet
Nickv Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Rudely copied from ITV.com
>

Best double check it then ;)!

I just wish for some over-taking.

tbh I cant see neither Honda driver finishing any better than 7th.

I dont see anyone stopping Alonso.

I can still see Fry banging on about BMW's car, because its better ;)

tbh.. at the front I think it will be a boring race... it will be FA, KR and MS all the way...

I think the excitment will probably come from the Williams/Toyota/BMW battle. I deerly wish to include Honda in that, but sadly they have been without a doubt the biggest disapointed of the season... no century ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 29, 2006 12:14PM
Posted by: vesuvius
it's possible that it will rain in Indianapolis : [www.weather.com]
Date: June 29, 2006 01:03PM
Let's pray to the rain gods then just a bit more ;)
Date: June 29, 2006 01:12PM
Posted by: Morbid
It would be nice with a proper wet race. It has been a while!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 29, 2006 02:28PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
That last corner will be a complete turd in the wet...

Bring it on :P
Date: June 29, 2006 02:42PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
Anyone still imagining Ferrari's 'straight line speed' advantage has just not been paying attention since Spain. The Renault has speed up it's sleeve, and even the terrible McLaren is a faster car now.

I honestly can't see Ferrari doing any better than 2nd, and even that would take another great drive from Schum.

Having said that, still looking forward to the race. Isn't it GREAT having a longer season and enjoying these back-to-back races!?

Webber is overdue for a result too by the way...

Date: June 29, 2006 05:08PM
Posted by: mikef1
The Ferrari is still the fastest car in a straight line, whether that is down to low downforce setups, a more powerful engine or better aero i'm not sure. But Ferrari have always gone well at Indy and with good Bridgestone tyres and both Schumi and Massa on good form, they could win. Even Todt said at the end of the Montreal GP that they have a better car than the Mclaren. In qualy with several laps more fuel on board than the others both drivers recorded 320kph on the straight then next up was Speed with 316kph.
Date: June 29, 2006 05:57PM
Posted by: Team CLR
But IIRC, there has never been a wet F1 race at Indy, that'll shake everything up, so surprises are quite possible, like zeppelin said the last corner will be tricky if the track is wet.

Date: June 29, 2006 05:59PM
Posted by: The _F1_Lunatic
2003 was wet. Great race too.

Date: June 29, 2006 06:29PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
We really need someone to punt alonso off the track "accidentally". And then MS or kimi to win the race.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 29, 2006 06:40PM
Posted by: matt3454
keep alonso in the race, just let someone crash MS out

Date: June 29, 2006 06:43PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
why?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 29, 2006 06:50PM
Because he probably is an Alonso fanboy...
Date: June 29, 2006 07:47PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Thanks for the correction F1 lunatic. I'm looking forward to qualifying, I wouldn't be surprised for Ferrari to run MS light so that he doesn't get caught up behind Trulli again.

Date: June 29, 2006 08:07PM
Posted by: marcl
alonso has been going about last year that the only team and driver to stand in the way of them doing something to race for no points last year was ferrari and ms but who knows

they also recon michelin have made the tyres harder for the race so they dont have a problem this year

yes i dont recon ferrari will do what they done in canada again as mclaren found u just can not make up the gap when u start heavy and go long. Seems to work better when u start from the back and do that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2006 08:18PM by marcl.
Date: June 30, 2006 01:51AM
Posted by: Morbid
Razorsedge Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Having said that, still looking forward to the race. Isn't it GREAT
> having a longer season and enjoying these back-to-back races!?

Damn straight! :)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 30, 2006 05:49AM
Posted by: Guimengo
2003 was not only wet but freaking cold! And the damn rain left and came back, those damn clouds ;)

Watch out for Rubinho! Seriously, watch out, he can go off in the gravel trap in turn 1 after some muck-up :p. And maybe Alonso can repeat his sweet crash a few years back where I got an amazing picture of him destroying one of the signs for the T-1 turn :D
Date: June 30, 2006 07:39AM
Posted by: marcl
that was cause buy a tyre problem as well
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy