Toyota no longer knocking Montoya's door

Posted by calimbo 
Toyota no longer knocking Montoya's door
Date: January 30, 2006 05:53PM
Posted by: calimbo
Well, i've just read this article from a Panama website, don't know how reliable it could be

It says Toyota is not longer in touch with Montoya for a drive at their team. They wanned him since the times he was racing in Cart.

So now Montoya has BMW and Red Bull on his card, and the contact with this last one is really good, specially with Helmut Marko being in the team, who was Montoya's boss in F3000.

On the other side, it says that Kimi Raikkonen rejected an 65 million euros offer and three years to drive in McLaren, something that might be seen in the team as if he already signed for 2007 to another team, but he don't want to reveal it, so he wont be in dissavantage with Montoya.

The team is puttin pressure on Raikkonen to reveal what are his plans and if he really wants to stay. Driving alonside Alonso is not a concern for him, but if he sees options of winning with another team being the number one, he'll take it, either named Ferrari or Toyota. The best for Montoya would be to know what are Kimi's plans, even if the colombian does'nt stays in McLaren

Dennis hasn't offered anything to Montoya, and he doesn't know if he'll have it, cause mclaren position is really strong when it's about negotiate, he has the world champion signed and they can wait and pressure his actual drivers.

Re: Toyota no longer knocking Montoya's door
Date: January 30, 2006 06:24PM
Posted by: marcl
dont think mclaren want him even if kimi leaves. Think the damage was done last year
Date: January 30, 2006 09:20PM
Posted by: tripleM
Do they have a better alternative?

Honestly between Montoya and any of the other contracted drivers Montoya would be the choice for me.

I still think that the best is yet to come from him.

Date: January 31, 2006 01:41AM
Posted by: calimbo
I think that's not the interesting part of it. The inetersting part is Raikkonen rejected a 65 million euros contract with mclaren for 3 years!!!!

Date: January 31, 2006 05:55AM
Posted by: Karan19
Maybe because Ferrari are dangling a 5 yr - $150+ million contract in his face,according to rumours?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2006 05:55AM by Karan19.
Date: January 31, 2006 06:59AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
If they asked me for 65 millon I would say yes ;)

Date: January 31, 2006 09:29AM
Posted by: chet
tripleM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still think that the best is yet to come from
> him.

Same.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 31, 2006 12:06PM
Posted by: vesuvius
calimbo Wrote:
> I think that's not the interesting part of it. The
> inetersting part is Raikkonen rejected a 65
> million euros contract with mclaren for 3
> years!!!!
>
>

of course he rejected it .He has already said that he will make his decision when season has started and he will see how fast MP4-21 is compared to other cars if it's good then he have no reason to leave McLaren but if it's crap then he will be open for other opportunities
Date: January 31, 2006 01:09PM
Posted by: montana_uk
I think he has done the deal with Ferrari already, which is why he rejected the McLaren offer. It was done a long time ago, and Ron knows it, which is why he went after Alonso instead.

If JPM is looking to leave too, as is being reported - [www.f1racing.net], then it means there is another seat going spare. Ron has plenty of people he can slot in (like Flavio does), with having Lewis Hamilton and Gary Paffett under his wings, and Pedro de la Rosa too (2 spaniards in the 2007 cars?).

I think that JPM should take a look at the bigger picture, and see what other people are doing before making any rash decisions.
Date: January 31, 2006 04:59PM
Posted by: tripleM
"The inetersting part is Raikkonen rejected a 65 million euros contract with mclaren for 3 years!!!!"

Doesn't he reportedly earn about the same(or maybe even more) now?

Date: January 31, 2006 07:36PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> If they asked me for 65 millon I would say yes

but would you still say yes if someone else asked you for 150 million?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 01, 2006 01:59PM
Posted by: Muks_C
from the BBC [news.bbc.co.uk]:

Montoya ponders move from McLaren

Mercedes McLaren driver Juan Pablo Montoya admits he is considering offers from other Formula One constructors.

According to German magazine Auto, Motor und Sport, the 30-year-old Colombian is willing to quit his current employers.

"I am talking with other constructors," he said. "If Ferrari, Renault or BMW make me a good offer, I will take it."

It would be another setback for McLaren after designers Adrian Newey and Peter Prodromou quit to join to Red Bull.

Montoya won three Grand Prix races last season and finished fourth in the drivers' championship.

But according to the German magazine, he is unhappy at not being offered a contract extension by McLaren.

The Anglo-German outfit have already recruited current world champion Fernando Alonso from Renault to drive for the team in 2007.

That would signal the end of either Montoya's McLaren career anyway or that of team-mate Kimi Raikkonen.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy