Wurz leaves mclaren for williams

Posted by Sete Gibernau 
Wurz leaves mclaren for williams
Date: January 01, 2006 05:26PM
Posted by: Sete Gibernau
According to an austrian tv channel Mclaren test driver Alex Wurz will leave the british team for williams. This could mean a lot of pressure already for Nico Rosberg because he has to perform well to keep his seat.
At first Wurz will test on the friday practice.

Remember the legends
Re: Wurz leaves mclaren for williams
Date: January 01, 2006 06:39PM
Posted by: marcl
good move for him

it also says that mark webber will leave at the end of 2006 and wurz will get the 2007 race seat
Date: January 01, 2006 06:42PM
Posted by: IWE
McLaren Kicked him out sometime ago because Wurz did ask job from other team(s)..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: January 01, 2006 06:43PM
Posted by: Lemming
maybe it means alonso and montoya will be the race drivers and raikkonen the test driver at mclaren in 2007 ;)

Date: January 01, 2006 07:16PM
Posted by: tripleM
I'll wait for the official announcement

Date: January 01, 2006 07:23PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Is this official?

Because Autosport carry a similar speculative story this week..

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: January 01, 2006 08:02PM
Posted by: Lemming
Pitpass is just speculative too atm, usually they're one of the first to come up with the official stuff in the past...

And nowhere else I've looked seems to have anything about it at all...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2006 08:02PM by Lemming.
Date: January 01, 2006 10:35PM
Posted by: F1Crazy
Well the speculation is now on crash.net, so it looks likely
Date: January 01, 2006 11:20PM
Posted by: Karan19
its on F1Racing.net too so I guess its pretty official. Looking Wurz and Rosberg at Williams and Webber and Kovalainen at Renault in 07?
Date: January 02, 2006 08:10AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
And the slow slide into mediocrity continues for McLaren. Newey leaves, Wurz leaves, Kimi rumored to be leaving. Will Alonzo even have anything worthwhile when he arrives?

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: January 02, 2006 08:29AM
Posted by: Karan19
At this rate I wont be surprised if they're lookin for a new engine supplier by 2007 ;)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:09AM
Posted by: IWE
Karan19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At this rate I wont be surprised if they're lookin
> for a new engine supplier by 2007
>
>
>

You mean also Mercedes leaves? ;) Nobody likes Ron... ;) Hopepully he leaves soon.. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: January 02, 2006 11:00AM
Posted by: FlyinFinn2
For Mercedes leave, Ron have to buy the 4*% of Mercedes part of Mclaren?
Date: January 02, 2006 01:30PM
Posted by: intweb
Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> And the slow slide into mediocrity continues for
> McLaren. Newey leaves, Wurz leaves, Kimi rumored
> to be leaving. Will Alonzo even have anything
> worthwhile when he arrives?
>
>

Slow slide into mediocrity? Didn't Mclaren have the best car last year and take second and fourth in the championship, those stats are better than 2004, so surely they are not 'continuing' their slide into mediocrity, merely starting?

Date: January 02, 2006 08:32PM
Posted by: marcl
The WilliamsF1 team confirmed on Monday evening it has signed Alex Wurz as its official test and reserve driver for 2006. Wurz will be the official reserve driver - who will deputise if either Webber or Rosberg is unable to race - and he will be the team's Friday free practice sessions driver at Grand Prix.

"I'm delighted with the agreement we have reached with Alex," said team boss Frank Williams. "Everyone at Williams believes he will bring significant improvements to the team's performance, on Grand Prix Fridays in particular, and to our testing programme in general."

Wurz has been test driver at McLaren for five seasons, before that he spent three seasons racing for Benetton. Wurz stood in for Juan Pablo Montoya in one race in 2005 and finished third. DTM champion Gary Paffett replaces Wurz as test driver at McLaren.

Where this leaves Narain Karthikeyan - who looked set to conclude a deal with Williams in December - remains to be seen. Williams will launch its new Cosworth-powered FW28 car on 27 January.

Date: January 02, 2006 09:14PM
Posted by: Muks_C
its not really that much good news for Wurz, he's just swapped 1 testing job for another, when we all know he really wants to race.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: January 02, 2006 10:06PM
Posted by: brunoboi
atleast he'll have the friday practises at williams which he wouldnt if he were to stay at mclaren

Date: January 02, 2006 10:50PM
Posted by: danm
id say narain will prob get a non race weekend testing role, bringing sponsor money.

wurz could be looking at a possible race drive in 2007 IMO with webber leaving for renault in a flavio fanboys team.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 02, 2006 11:00PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
intweb Wrote:
> Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And the slow slide into mediocrity continues
> for
> > McLaren. Newey leaves, Wurz leaves, Kimi
> rumored
> > to be leaving. Will Alonzo even have
> anything
> > worthwhile when he arrives?
> >
> >
>
>
> Slow slide into mediocrity? Didn't Mclaren have
> the best car last year and take second and fourth
> in the championship, those stats are better than
> 2004, so surely they are not 'continuing' their
> slide into mediocrity, merely starting?
>
>
>
>

Well, I was referring to post season developements primarily, but sure, I suppose we can change it to "starting" the slide to mediocrity. I think we can add Ron's pissy attitude of late to the list of negatives at McLaren right now....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: January 02, 2006 11:29PM
Posted by: tripleM
"its not really that much good news for Wurz"

it would probably be a bit unrealistic to expect him to have a race drive at Mclaren for 2007

i feel it's a shame that he couldn't get his chance with Jaguar

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy