Paffet becomes McLaren test driver

Posted by marcl 
Paffet becomes McLaren test driver
Date: December 21, 2005 11:36AM
Posted by: marcl
The McLaren team today announced that it has signed 2005 DTM Champion Gary Paffet to become the team's official test driver. Paffet is likely going to replace Alexander Wurz who is still negotiating with the team about his future.

Gary's relationship with the team began in December 1999 when he was awarded the prestigious 'McLaren Autosport Young Driver of the Year Award'. As a result of winning the Award, Gary conducted his first Formula One test with Team McLaren Mercedes in 2000 and since then he has helped the team with both its testing and simulation work on a regular basis. In 2003 Gary joined Mercedes-Benz in the DTM Championship and went on to claim the title in 2005.

"I'm really excited about this opportunity and the challenges ahead," said Gary. "This is the culmination of my continuous relationship with McLaren and Mercedes-Benz. For my efforts to be officially recognised by one of the most successful Formula One teams and reaching my goal of getting a regular Formula One seat is a fantastic feeling. I have really enjoyed my time in the DTM Championship and being able to also continue my relationship with Mercedes-Benz in this manner is the icing on the cake. I'm 100 per cent committed to my role as a Team McLaren Mercedes test driver and can't wait to start the 2006 testing programme. I want to thank everybody who has helped me achieve this goal - it wouldn't have been possible without their support."

"We are certain that Gary is the right choice as Team McLaren Mercedes test driver and are pleased to welcome him to the team," said Martin Whitmarsh, CEO Formula One, Team McLaren Mercedes. "In order to achieve our objective of winning races and World Championship we have to employ the best drivers available and Gary definitely fits into this category. He has been involved with McLaren and Mercedes-Benz since winning the 'McLaren Autosport Young Driver Award' and we are pleased that the right opportunity came along at the right time. Gary is committed to the work laying ahead of him and everybody at McLaren look forward to his contribution."

"Whilst we are pleased to welcome Gary to the team, we are still in discussion with Alex Wurz regarding his future and will announce our plans in due course," continues Martin Whitmarsh.

Norbert Haug, Vice President, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport said: "Gary deserved his chance and he has seized it. In the last two years in the DTM Championship he proved his talent against tough competition. Since he started taking part in the team's Formula One tests on the 28th November, Gary has completed a total of more than 1,100 kilometres and convinced the team of his capabilities. His promotion to the Formula One team demonstrates that DTM is also a springboard for young talents who can make their way through touring cars to the top category of motor sport."

Could mean a drive in 2007?

Re: Paffet becomes McLaren test driver
Date: December 21, 2005 11:43AM
Posted by: b-tone
interesting. does that mean he won't compete in dtm?

is promotion to the Formula One team demonstrates that DTM is also a springboard for young talents who can make their way through touring cars to the top category of motor sport

nice staement :) poor old hakkinen got demoted then ;-)

____
Tony

Date: December 21, 2005 11:46AM
Posted by: Haguey
Small quote from ITV-F1 site reads:

- Paffett confirmed that he would be leaving the DTM to concentrate on F1 full-time.

Date: December 21, 2005 11:47AM
think its the right move, if he wants to get into f1 he must do it full time.

I do hope he dont just become a test driver for the rest of his life he is only young
Date: December 22, 2005 06:06PM
Posted by: IWE
yep he did leave dtm and Wurz might take his place.. :)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: December 22, 2005 09:29PM
Posted by: dolinseks
Paffet will probably race in the McLaren B team, dont you think so?

Date: December 22, 2005 09:37PM
Posted by: IWE
Dunno but I did hear Wurz is out from McLaren because he asked work from bmw.. :S

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: December 22, 2005 09:38PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Well, who's to say that Ron won't get rid of Kimi and JPM and have Alonso and Paffet on his team?

As I keep saying, we'll have to see what they do, he's only recently been signed as a test driver!
Date: December 24, 2005 06:51PM
Posted by: Khalid
must be cause that wurz doesn't seem to fit any mclaren...if they have get rid of jpm then they do not have to produce hamburger shaped cockpits
Date: December 24, 2005 07:57PM
i dont think mclaren will put an f1 novice in the car after 1993
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy