Ways Formula 1 can be welcomed in the United States

Posted by Raderick 
Ways Formula 1 can be welcomed in the United States
Date: October 15, 2005 08:29AM
Posted by: Raderick
These are only my opinions, so just take it for what it's worth. I am an American, and a fan of Formula 1, so I think that I can do a good job.

a) Race on an oval! I understand that I might get flamed for this, but the American race fans want to see high speeds as much as possible. Tony George shouldn't had catered to Eccerstone and created a road track on Indy's infield. IMO, it degrade's Indianopolis Motor Speedway's history. Race on the four-turn, left handed course. Hell, have F-1 host the Indy 500 instead of the inferior IndyCar series. I also think that it can bring some uniqueness to the series, as drivers can look forward to racing on an oval.

b) We want to hear more out of the drivers! The US fans are used to having the drivers interview right out of the car. If you ever seen a NASCAR broadcast, usually, when a driver exits a car, there is a camera and microphone in his face. F1 needs to learn from this. To the US fans (or at the least the ones that I speak to) the drivers think they should be treated like rock stars. Talk to the public more. Talk to reporters more. Go on radio stations and TV stations and promote your product. Prove that you are worthy of my time and money.

c) Some team, any team, hire an American driver! It seems like Scott Speed will be a full-time driver for Minardi's (RBR)'s 2nd driver come 2006, which would be great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 08:34AM by Raderick.
Re: Ways Formula 1 can be welcomed in the United States
Date: October 15, 2005 08:48AM
Posted by: Nickv
a) AN OVAL? Racing on an oval is one of the most boring things in racing. And we complain that F1-cars can't overtake eachother, but how should a F1 car overtake somebody on an oval? Plus, at least half of the engines won't make it to the end of the race. Altough that could make it interesting.

b) It depends on the channel F1 is broadcasted. Here in Holland our pit-reporter usually goes to drivers who retired. Some drivers do appear in tv-commercials. Schumacher did a Fiat-commercial once.

c) I think Scott Speed will drive next year in RBR2. He and Liuzzi have the best chances to drive for RBR2 next year.
Date: October 15, 2005 08:58AM
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a) AN OVAL? Racing on an oval is one of the most
> boring things in racing. And we complain that
> F1-cars can't overtake eachother, but how should a
> F1 car overtake somebody on an oval? Plus, at
> least half of the engines won't make it to the end
> of the race. Altough that could make it
> interesting.
>
> b) It depends on the channel F1 is broadcasted.
> Here in Holland our pit-reporter usually goes to
> drivers who retired. Some drivers do appear in
> tv-commercials. Schumacher did a Fiat-commercial
> once.
>
> c) I think Scott Speed will drive next year in
> RBR2. He and Liuzzi have the best chances to drive
> for RBR2 next year.
>
>

Actually, quite to the contray, it is much easier to overtake (pass is the US term) on an oval than on a road track. On Indy, the entire track can be overtaking opportunities. A lap on Indy is about 30-40 seconds. Think of it like the pre-2002 Hockenheim track minus the stadium section. Also, the thought process that oval races are boring and dull is pretty mainstream outside of the US (and some of it does exist in our neck of the woods). Watching cars overpass each other on a banked turn is very exciting the watch. Knowing that one slight false move can make or break your entire race.

It must be the station that the US gets. We get the F-1 feed, but all of the commentators are in a TV studio in Connecticut, but they do send a couple of reporters to wherever the race is taking place. But when the F-1 does come to the US, I'd like to see more interviews on TV shows and radio stations. Keep in mind that we don't get the BBC, Canal, or any other European channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 09:00AM by Raderick.
Passing on ovals requires the cars to be able to run nose-to-tail closely in order to utilise the slipstream created by the car infron. Current F1 aero regs don't allow this to happen, so chances are there won't be too much overtaking.
Date: October 15, 2005 09:51AM
Posted by: LS.
F1 hitting concrete walls at 200mph? hmmm not a good idea :)

F1 could be more accessible where the drivers are concerned, but the downside to this would be more of Kimi Charisma Raikkonen being interviewed,

Simply getting an American into a F1 car because of his nationality would'nt make a lot of difference, look at what happened when Michael Andretti made the switch the Mclaren, sure the veiwing figures may have gone up slightly, but that was due to people tuning to see which lap he crashed out on :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: October 15, 2005 10:00AM
LS. Wrote:
> F1 hitting concrete walls at 200mph? hmmm not a
> good idea
>
>
>
> F1 could be more accessible where the drivers are
> concerned, but the downside to this would be more
> of Kimi Charisma Raikkonen being interviewed,
>
>
>
> Simply getting an American into a F1 car because
> of his nationality would'nt make a lot of
> difference, look at what happened when Michael
> Andretti made the switch the Mclaren, sure the
> veiwing figures may have gone up slightly, but
> that was due to people tuning to see which lap he
> crashed out on
>
>
>
> Motorsport Photo's, CLICKY!!
>
>
> LS's Tip of the Week:
>
> Cinema Goers:
>
> Please have consideration for pirate DVD viewers
> by having a piss before the film starts. .

A lot of race tracks have made the barriers a lot more safer than years passed. Most tracks no longer use concrete. It had a lot to do with the many crashes and deaths that NASCAR endure in the late 90s-early 2000s, and hit mainstream attention when Dale Earnhardt died at the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500 crashing into turn 4 head first (though the barriers were proven to have very little effect to his death).

But I am thinking that the FIA may have to make slight changes to the car to lower speeds and change downforce so that the cars don't go airbourn on the back or front straights, similar to what the Champ Cars do when they race on ovals. (I'm not comparing Champ Cars to F-1 cars, but you get the picture)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 10:02AM by Raderick.
Date: October 15, 2005 10:05AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
but they'd probably kill themselves on an oval...imagine sato!!
Date: October 15, 2005 10:13AM
I just want to imagine Schumi's reaction to adding an oval track to the race schedule. :)

2 512MB DDR Memory Sticks
Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Sony 16x Internal IDE DVD Drive
Mad Dog 52x32x52 Internal IDE CD-RW Drive
ATI Radeon 9260 256MB Video Card
MSI TV @nywhere Plus TV and FM Radio Tuner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 11:38AM by Raderick.
Promotion is the only way to create much interst IMO.

Just recently when the re-negotiation with the US GP was done, some rep from the INDY circuit said that an F1 driver was invited to the David Letterman Show (probably Montoya) and they declined.

Considering they only go there once a year, the least they can do is promote the event and the drivers.

The indy circuit is boring anyway, they should go somewhere kore interesting - Road Atlanta or Mid Ohio - the track may need a bit of work but it'd be much more interesting
Date: October 15, 2005 04:55PM
Posted by: DrDougal
I would like to see F1 race on an oval, but that would mean cautions every other couple of laps there's a crash or a blow up or debris on the track.
F1 drivers would need spotters to tell them were to go and who is alongside them.
After seeing Ralf Schumachers crashes at Indy I don't think F1 cars could stand that kind of impacts.

F1 is a little too serious for the US, it would need to lighten up a bit as well.
I love oval racing but i dont want to see F1 on it. It just wouldnt work.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 15, 2005 05:08PM
Posted by: laurent
yeah, and who ever said F1 was boring? everyone I guess

The oval will make the best team in the front, worst last, and than in the middle of them, always 2 cars of the same team racing gainst each other :-)

and also.... ovals are boring to watch.... I once looked 5 laps indy car on it, and for me, it was like I watched a whole F1 race..... BORING..... no driving skills needed, I don't want to see an oval in F1!!
no driving skills needed

I could really rip into that comment but cant be arsed tbh. No skill at all is 110% complete and utter bollocks.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 15, 2005 05:36PM
Posted by: laurent
well..... I didnt want to say it that way though, srry!!

But if you compare an oval with spa or suzuka.... I think you know which one will be harder:-)

and bout the concentration , indeed you need it, just to stay awake:-)

PS

Ovals are fun if you have to go off throttle sometimes, but F1 cars in Indy, thats 100% full throttle I believe (espacially with V8's!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 05:36PM by laurent.
Ovals are fun if you have to go off throttle sometimes, but F1 cars in Indy, thats 100% full throttle I believe (espacially with V8's!!)

Uh, i doubt its 100% full throttle, for many reasons. Only the first of which is they would require a completelty different rules package which dramatily reduced the downforce, just to race Indy.

You dont seem to know much about oval racing at all...

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 15, 2005 07:40PM
Posted by: Karan19
Bernie The Bolt Wrote:
> Passing on ovals requires the cars to be able to
> run nose-to-tail closely in order to utilise the
> slipstream created by the car infron. Current F1
> aero regs don't allow this to happen, so chances
> are there won't be too much overtaking.
>
> -----------------------------------
>

not really. current f1 regs dont allow a car to follow another car close through CORNERS when max front end downforce is required,due to the turbulent or "dirty" air. When you're following a car down a straight you dont need front end downforce. its all about the slipstream!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 07:41PM by Karan19.
Date: October 15, 2005 07:43PM
Posted by: tripleM
"Ways Formula 1 can be welcomed in the United States"

add fenders ;-)

Date: October 15, 2005 07:46PM
Posted by: yositm
Raderick Escrito:
>
> b) We want to hear more out of the drivers! The US
> fans are used to having the drivers interview
> right out of the car. If you ever seen a NASCAR
> broadcast, usually, when a driver exits a car,
> there is a camera and microphone in his face. F1
> needs to learn from this. To the US fans (or at
> the least the ones that I speak to) the drivers
> think they should be treated like rock stars. Talk
> to the public more. Talk to reporters more. Go on
> radio stations and TV stations and promote your
> product. Prove that you are worthy of my time and
> money.
>

This is up to the drivers. For example, here in Spain, Fernando Alonso always talk to TV after qualy and race and before the race. We can also see his full qualy lap onboard and next to it Fernando comments the lap, explaining some of the corners.

TOMA!!!
Date: October 15, 2005 07:53PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I think Montoya or someone else was actually on one of those shows here
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy