ITV reprimanded over San Marino GP Ad-break

Posted by Red Sam 
ITV reprimanded over San Marino GP Ad-break
Date: July 19, 2005 01:11AM
Posted by: Red Sam
not much, but something at least, from BBC News:

Ofcom also reprimanded ITV after some 126 viewers complained to the media watchdog when the channel cut to an ad break during the final moments of the San Marino Grand Prix in April.

Ofcom ruled that ITV had breached rules which govern the schedule of ad breaks during sporting events, and the broadcaster agreed.

"The complainants argued that the location of the break and its duration were unacceptable, depriving viewers of live coverage of a vital part of the race and destroying the tension that had built up during the event.

ITV replayed the missing three laps after the race but viewers were not impressed.

The broadcaster accepted that it had breached advertising rules which state that breaks in sports coverage should be taken at times where the focus of coverage shifts from one point to another.

"In retrospect the break should have been taken earlier but at the time it had been a difficult call to make."

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Re: ITV reprimanded over San Marino GP Ad-break
Date: July 19, 2005 01:19AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
What piss's me off was they KNEW they were breaking the rules. They knew because if there long gap without a break (which was takken because there boyfriend was leading), that they would have to put the advert in right at the end like that

Replaying the laps at the end was not compestation, it was just rubbing it in our faces. It was down right rude.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 19, 2005 01:24AM
agreed, Dave hot

RedSam

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: July 19, 2005 01:56AM
Posted by: LS.
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What piss's me off was they KNEW they were
> breaking the rules. They knew because if there
> long gap without a break (which was takken because
> there boyfriend was leading), that they would have
> to put the advert in right at the end like that
>
> Replaying the laps at the end was not
> compestation, it was just rubbing it in our faces.
> It was down right rude.
>
>
>

As far as i was aware ITV held there hands up on more than one occasion over this, they admitted guilt over not guessing the right time to place the ads and left it too late and with their obligations toward the sponsors had to hastily put the ads at the time that Schumacher was right up with Alonso

while its extremely regretable what happened, i can sympathise with ITV over this and although replaying the final laps after the event cant go anyway near ot making up for it i think its being blown out of proportion a little and a bit of over bashing is in effect

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 19, 2005 07:29AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
meh, i dont see the problem. its not as if schumacher got past, so in effect, you missed nothing. that said, in australia, we got to see the laps so... :P
Date: July 19, 2005 08:31AM
Posted by: marcl
sky on sat night covering the irl were really bad ads none stop and no video of the last 7 laps
Date: July 19, 2005 11:42AM
Posted by: chet
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What piss's me off was they KNEW they were
> breaking the rules. They knew because if there
> long gap without a break (which was takken because
> there boyfriend was leading), that they would have
> to put the advert in right at the end like that
>
> Replaying the laps at the end was not
> compestation, it was just rubbing it in our faces.
> It was down right rude.
>
>

more or less sums it up

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 19, 2005 11:44AM
Posted by: Zcott
LS. Wrote:

> As far as i was aware ITV held there hands up on
> more than one occasion over this, they admitted
> guilt over not guessing the right time to place
> the ads and left it too late and with their
> obligations toward the sponsors had to hastily put
> the ads at the time that Schumacher was right up
> with Alonso

What's better - not making the mistake or apologising for the mistake?
>
> while its extremely regretable what happened, i
> can sympathise with ITV over this and although
> replaying the final laps after the event cant go
> anyway near ot making up for it i think its being
> blown out of proportion a little and a bit of over
> bashing is in effect

I disagree. There were wider implications for F1 than just Schumacher catching Alonso. What Imola showed was the old guard vs. the new guard, just as we saw 11 years previously at the same track.

I also believe that it's the straw that broke the camel's back. For years now a number of us have been unhappy with ITV's coverage, and this latest escapade really pushed us over the edge, along with thousands more who took it upon themselves to complain somehow. Although only 126 made a formal complaint, that doesn't count for the thousands of unhappy fans. ITV screwed up one of the most exciting races of this year.

And an apology isn't as good as not making the mistake in the first place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2005 12:50PM by Zcott.
Date: July 19, 2005 12:34PM
As far as i was aware ITV held there hands up on more than one occasion over this,

Whether they admitted it or not is not the point. They knew there actions of not taking a break because Jenson was leading would cause this situation to come up - where they would have an advert break in the last few laps. Yet they chose to do this anyway.

It was an appauling decsion and to be honest, whoever took that decsion should be sacked. It lacked simple common sense and was only chosen because ITV are such biast fanboys, which for a multi-milion pound company is a pathetic decsion.

ITV saying sorry and replaying the laps does not make up for there stupidity. It was a slap in the face to see the laps at the end

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 19, 2005 01:05PM
so if Jenson leads a gp from start to finish does that mean we will get not ad breaks.

As I said i have copying gps to dvds from the 90's and there was nothing wrong with the BBC. There were loads of incar stuff and pit stuff during the races and grid walks.

ITV have bought us one thing ads. The bbc gave better race coverage than ITV do.
Date: July 19, 2005 01:19PM
To be fair, the BBC didnt do much of a build up (i can live without the build ups since there just Button-fests and what fisichellas eating for his lunch to have no ads), and it is the directors at the track, not the BBC who choose the incar stuff

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 19, 2005 02:38PM
i enjoy the build up.. but they should have more breaks in it.. and stop goin on about jb and crap lol

tbh DC and MS are the only drivers who i enjoy listening to. o and Jaun pablo.. lol

i mean build up is just a JB feature thing.. at Silverston the only decent bit of the build was the MS interveiw lol

Date: July 19, 2005 03:27PM
I dont really care about the pre race stuff, i like the grid walks stuff like that. The rest i can live without. All i wanna know is who starts where etc.

bbc used to go straight to the grid this did not take away any excitment at all as u were not falling aslseep before the start lol. As it is at the mo we have 45 mins of tony and jim. 15 mins of brundle on the start line which is great. An ad break then the start.

They could cut out 45 mins and have 45 mins extra at the end of the race to speak to the drivers about the race they have just done not about how they are going to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2005 03:43PM by marcl.
Date: July 19, 2005 04:00PM
and actually show the full press conference.. not the guy who came first.. or up2 JBs bit lol

Date: July 19, 2005 07:38PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
chet why does virtually every sentence of yours finish with lol?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: July 19, 2005 09:49PM
because he normally mentions Jenson, which makes him giggle like a girl.

RedSam

Date: July 19, 2005 10:57PM
rofl!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 20, 2005 12:22AM
Posted by: Imran
Speaking of ITV,one thing which ive always found amusing on their website is the itv team photo.

Is it just me or does mark blundell look like a cheeky school boy whose managed to sneak his head into someones group photo.

I couldnt be bothered to edit the image and reupload to show people which one Mark blundell is, he is the guy 3rd from the right,who looks like a cheeky schoolboy sticking his head into someones photo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2005 12:24AM by Imran.
Date: July 20, 2005 12:31AM
lol yeah he does

But amazingly, James Allen manages to annoy me in JPG format too

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 20, 2005 12:56AM
Posted by: Zyklef
*checks file format*

he looks such a t**t doesn't he? :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy