I read somewhere...

Posted by Kimi Räikkönen 
I read somewhere...
Date: December 27, 2003 03:30PM
Posted by: Kimi Räikkönen
that a formula one car would average 3 seconds a lap faster than they do now if they used completely slik tyres. What a difference! I wonder if there's any chance of slick tyres making a come back in F1?

Sorry guys, my forum is down. :(
Re: I read somewhere...
Date: December 27, 2003 03:41PM
Posted by: Zcott
Not in the foreseeable future. The tyres give out so much grip at the minute that bringing them back to slick tyres would make it a lot more dangeous than it is now, simply because of the massive increase in grip due to the lack of grooves. Also, with no grooves, there's no way of the FIA policing tyre wear, so we could go back to really soft compounds with super-grip.

Date: December 27, 2003 03:49PM
Posted by: Guimengo
If I ruled F1, it would be my first act to bring slicks back

Date: December 27, 2003 04:50PM
Posted by: Ellis
If you bring back slicks you have to make the aerodynamics more simple to account for the extra grip

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 27, 2003 04:52PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
But thats good, less aero grip, more mechanical = closer cars more passing :)

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 27, 2003 05:20PM
Need to get rid of silly driveraids first though

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 27, 2003 05:28PM
Posted by: Guimengo
No more aids would be my 2nd instance.
Ban traction control, and bring back manual transmission.
:D
Also, no refueling in the race, only change of tyres, like in early 90s. Bring back bigger engines too ;-) and.....don't limit testing too much. Change qualifying to the old scheme (GP2), and 2 engines per weekend.

Would be a good start....

Date: December 27, 2003 06:03PM
Posted by: bazza
The problem is you can't make the designers and engineers just forget all the knowledge they have aqquired and ammassed

Date: December 27, 2003 06:07PM
you cant uninvent something, but you can ban traction control and stuff like that but it has to be properly thought out and done correctly otherwise there will be loopholes and peoplewill use them.

Limiting the ammount of planes in the rear wing to 2 is an easy one. Limiting them to 1 would be just as simple.

the problem with changing the rules is when you do it allows the teams with the bigger budgets to research things quickly and find big chunks of time, whilst the little teams fall behind. If you keep the rules stable for a long run the big teams run out of areas to find big chunks of time and have to start looking for little bits, and whilst they are doing it, smaller teams are slowly closing back up the gap

Date: December 30, 2003 10:42AM
Posted by: _Alex_
As someone in the VIZ Letterbocks suggested, if the FIA want to slow the cars down, they should just tangle hair and fluff in the rear axels. After all, it works on Scalextric.

;)

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: December 30, 2003 11:46AM
Posted by: Pooky
what the FIA should do is bring back slick tyres, and drastically cut the downforce on the cars.

so like monza spec. front and rear wings, buit to cut top speeds they could add gurney flaps to the wing edges creating lots of drag.

Date: December 30, 2003 03:04PM
I agree. I think there are already plans in place to make Monza-spec rear wings compulsory at all tracks. That will make things very interesting, for sure.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: December 30, 2003 03:24PM
It works in CART, IRL and NASCAR(even when road racing), so it should at leats be tried in F1

Date: December 31, 2003 02:23AM
Posted by: marcl
The reason why they will not go back to manual gear boxes is due to cost saving, i.e no missed gears= no engine damage.

Next year though drivers will have to use the padels to change gears which is better and some drivers are finding this hard to adapt to. DC said he always changed down manually anyway but used the auto up shift.

Will be interesting to see which drivers are better at this, newer drivers i think will find this harder.

Also LC has gone for next year so expect some people will have probs with this, DC must be happy as he was a great starter, MS is not a good starter and we might see him lose out like he used to or he might do the cut across the track thing again.

The cars would understeer and this would suit some drivers but on others, DC like understeer MS does not he needs the front end to turn in sharply and he takes care of the rear.

Post Edited (12-31-03 10:06)

Date: December 31, 2003 04:01AM
not necessarily the cars will understeer.

and im not sure if DC does like understeer.

but i know what u mean with the drastically reduced aero grip, altho the slick tyres would bring enormous mechanical grip thus restoring the balance somewhat

it would be fascinating also, as a driver would have to take more care looking after his tyres. - as there is more mechanical grip.

i think TC should be banned immediately.

and also i think tyre warmers should be banned.

some of u may think that would be dangerous, but it would not be as the FIA could increase the ground clearance so that any F1 car on cold tyres with lower presures would not ground out.

also i think the irl or cart do not use tyre blankets and they are fine. this is where JPM or other drivers could really use their skill driving on cold tyres

it would make the start of the races, and pitstops with fresh cold tyres really really interesting

Date: December 31, 2003 04:29AM
Posted by: marcl
DC does not like a lose rear end and this is caused by the front sticking but the rear not. With less front and rear wing over steer will not be a big problem but understeer will.

Mika hated understeer and when the car did DC was faster.
Date: December 31, 2003 11:56AM
Nah, I think TC is alright. Don't mind if they keep it there - I do mind, however, if they keep LC. The start of GPs were so much more exciting without it. The revving, for a start, it was thunderous and no other sport on the planet could come close in terms of exciting noises!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: December 31, 2003 12:20PM
Posted by: Oleg
yeah and i read somewhere that the current level of grip is the same as it was in 1997.So i guess that 3 seconds is the projected number.

I wouldn't mind seeing slicks back,afterall they have higher peak slip angles so it will hopefully make racing visually more appealing again.

Everything in the past is better than today.It's true,I read it on the internet.
Date: December 31, 2003 12:22PM
slicks would bring back 4 wheel drifts etc. as the slip angle is far greater than grooved tyres.

and alex - how can u say u like TC??

it goes against everything about top level driving - i want to know that the driver had to use his right foot skilfully for 70 laps, not a computer.

Date: December 31, 2003 12:25PM
Posted by: Oleg
Great minds think alike;-)

Everything in the past is better than today.It's true,I read it on the internet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy