Off Topic: What the hell is NASCAR??

Posted by ZOLL 
Off Topic: What the hell is NASCAR??
Date: January 01, 2004 08:05PM
Posted by: ZOLL
Yesterday, I was at my brother's home, and like me, he is a huge fan of F1 and autoracing sports, he have some races recorded in VHS (F1, DTM and NASCAR) i asked him if he could borrow me the NASCAR tape, and i got it

arriving in my home, i put the race to roll in my VHS and damn, im sorry to say that but nascar really SU.K! the pilots skills are mediocre, if you get the worst pilot of Formula 1 and get the better of Nascar and put side by side, the nascar pilot will eat dust, the cars looks like candy boxes that do not overtake 190 mph (290 km/h) and looks like that there is no rules also, the pilots are allowed to hit in other pilots and trow them in the wall, in a damn circuit called Talladega that looks like a Straight.

another thing, in normal circuits, the pilots that only drive in speedways, pays to other driver (Road Warriors) to drive in circuits like Sears point and Watkings Glenn, because they dont have the ability to turn that damn thing to the right.

in this race, the winner was a guy named (Dale Enhardt jr.) he overtaked three cars on an yellow strip that its not permitted to overtake, like i said, no rules.

thats why when i see (saw) pilots like Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, Barrichello driving, i raise my hands to sky and says: thanks a lot!

Re: Off Topic: What the hell is NASCAR??
Date: January 01, 2004 08:20PM
Posted by: tux
there called drivers :)

and to drive that fast at that close distance is a lot of skill :P

Date: January 02, 2004 12:00AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
True, most NASCAR drivers do rather poorly on road courses. A few years ago, Jeff Gordon, considered at the time to be just about the only NASCAR driver who was fairly capable on road circuits, managed to win five of six consecutive NASCAR road course races.
Then again, look how they drive on the ovals, how very close to the wall on high speed oval tracks, while look at how far away F1 drivers stay from the wall at Indianapolis, including (or even, particularly) Michael Schumacher, who has publicly said that he will not race on oval circuits because they are too dangerous.
Date: January 02, 2004 12:56AM
Posted by: senninho
I have massive respect for them - bear in mind (as has no doubt been said) they're running inches apart at up to 200mph on some courses. This is on a variety of ovals, and also at night time, which looks great. They also take part in about 35-40 races per season. That's gotta demand fitness.

Date: January 02, 2004 01:07AM
Posted by: USRacer
i love nascar and f1. i really dont think you can compare them though. theyre just two different things. its kind of like music. theyre both racing but both a different type. who is to say one is better and/or harder than the other. they both have their unique challenges.
Date: January 02, 2004 02:26AM
Posted by: marcl
I think MS would be good in a nascar.
Date: January 02, 2004 05:02AM
Posted by: iceman kimi
if you think NASCAR sucks, then but the Papyrus game 'NASCAR RACING 2003 SEASON"

The racing is so great.

but........i do find it a struggle to watch on tele i must admit.

Iceman

Date: January 02, 2004 06:41AM
Posted by: Vader
Most of what Poll said is not true anyway. Earnhardt might have passed cars under yellow flag, but that were probably backmarkers which you are allowed to pass as far as I know.

Didn't JPM and Gordon(?) switch cars a little while ago? I think they both performed rather good in each other's cars.

I think NASCAR driving requires a lot of skill and balls. SInce the cars are not as high-tech as European touring cars, you need a lot more to see the chequered flag. You have 800hp cars that handle like bricks with brakes like on a tank - not easy to drive these bitches.

I am not saying that NASCAR drivers are the best - certainly not - but as it has been said above, you can't really compare NASCAR to F1.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 02, 2004 08:55AM
Posted by: Ellis
if you get the worst pilot of Formula 1 and get the better of Nascar and put side by side, the nascar pilot will eat dust,

jeoff Gordan lapped within 1 second of JPMs Indy times in the same car

and looks like that there is no rules also, the pilots are allowed to hit in other pilots and trow them in the wall, in a damn circuit called Talladega that looks like a Straight.

Wrecking, especially on purpose is illegal. You recivce in race warnings, and can be forced to drop right down to last place if NASCAR feels you broke the rules. Delbrating wrecking in NASCAR is illegal. If you are talknig about cars bumping others from behind down the strights, then thats is legal. Thats called "bump drafting". It happens at The superspeedways, and is a way of unsettelinh the car infront, whilsthelping both you and the driver ahead along.

Talladega itself is a 2.5mile superspeedway. It is far from "a stright"

another thing, in normal circuits, the pilots that only drive in speedways, pays to other driver (Road Warriors) to drive in circuits like Sears point and Watkings Glenn, because they dont have the ability to turn that damn thing to the right.

NASCAR is an oval series for the majority. They do have the skill to turn to the right. They only run Infieon Raceway and Watkins Glen road courses. They run short Tracks, Speedways and Superspeedways also, FYI.

in this race, the winner was a guy named (Dale Enhardt jr.) he overtaked three cars on an yellow strip that its not permitted to overtake, like i said, no rules.

Depending on the situation, passing lapped cars under the yellow line, and under caution flags is legal. Passing under the yellow line at Talladega was also legal until fairly recently.

NASCAR requires just as much skill, if not more, than F1, just the skill lies in a different area. At Superspeedways (Daytona and Talladega), you run cm apart, sometimes less, especially when bump drafting, at 200mph. If you lose the draft (slipstream) you have lost the race. Simple as that. Without the draft you cant win, which is why you need other drivers to help you, and ther drivers need you. You have to keep the momentum up. One tiny mistake, you lose 5mph off the exit of the corner by brushing the wall, or getting the rear end a few cm out of line, and you lose speed all the way down the stright, and before you know if,you have lost 10 places and have lost the draft. Once you lose the draft all you can do is wait until someone catches behind you, tag on with them and then try and run fast times again.

Your comments about not having skill are just not true. they have skills, and in some areas, more skill than F1 drivers. Drivers like Dale Jr, Jeff Gordan and more recently, Ryan Numan, have alot of skill, and are some of the greatest drivers in the world, like it or not.

if you get the worst pilot of Formula 1 and get the better of Nascar and put side by side, the nascar pilot will eat dust, the cars looks like candy boxes that do not overtake 190 mph (290 km/h)

NASCAR drivers run side by side more than F1 drivers do, so where that comment comes from i dont know, but perhaps its more of a bad english translation more than anything else

The cars are monstors. They have ignroed all advances in compter technology in the last 20 years, and they are pure racing cars. no traction Control, no flip padel shifter, no auto clutch. You have an accelerator, a brake, a clutch pedal and a gear shifter stick, as well as a steering wheel. The oly aid is power steering, which some drivers do run with.

thats why when i see (saw) pilots like Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, Barrichello driving, i raise my hands to sky and says: thanks a lot!

So do I. But when i see Jeff Gordan, and Dale Jr side by side at 200mph, round turn 4 at Daytna, with 30 other cars drafting close behind, i raise both hands to the sky and say: Thanks alot

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 02, 2004 10:17AM
Posted by: Pooky
skill like everything comes in different ways

so winning a gokart championship like international formula A is comparable to the skill in winning the FIA F1 world champioship

both would require immense skill

Date: January 02, 2004 03:04PM
Posted by: ZOLL
You can be write Ellis, but listen , in the 80's the F1 cars didnt had any driving aid either, Pilots like Nelson Piquet, Alain Prost, Mansell etc.. had to fight more against the own car than the other racers to keep it up on the track, in a normal track, not in a speedway.

To Vader- you said that the NASCAR driver has skills and balls, skills i dont know but hey, what do you think that its more dangeous, stay in constant 200mph, or in 220mph you brake to only 60mph like in F1, without knowing that if your brake will respond or not.

another factor, in NASCAR there is no rain, thats more one factor that F1 drivers have of its advantage, in terms of skill.

about JPM and Jeff Gordon, if im not mistaken, JPM was racing in Chip Ganassi yet, wasnt it?

and about my english, im sorry, i was born in a "non english language country".
Date: January 02, 2004 03:44PM
Posted by: Vader
You can be write Ellis, but listen , in the 80's the F1 cars didnt had any driving aid either, Pilots like Nelson Piquet, Alain Prost, Mansell etc.. had to fight more against the own car than the other racers to keep it up on the track, in a normal track, not in a speedway.

So what? F1 is has no oval tracks, NASCAR does mostly have oval tracks. What now? Do you really think oval racing is easy? No, it isn't. It is very straining - physically and psychologically.

As I said before you cannot really compare both series. It is like saying "in football they have studs under their shoes and in tennis they haven't, thus tennis players are worse than foorball players". This make no sense. Driving aids regulations and track layouts are too different to compare F1 and NASCAR.

To Vader- you said that the NASCAR driver has skills and balls, skills i dont know but hey, what do you think that its more dangeous, stay in constant 200mph, or in 220mph you brake to only 60mph like in F1, without knowing that if your brake will respond or not.

I think it is way more dangerous to drive side by side at 200 mph on an oval track with no run off areas but concrete walls around you. I will not say that F1 tracks are absolutely save, but they have huge run-off areas, tire bumpers, gravel traps, etc. Indy 500 (which means 500 miles!!) in an oval does surely take more balls than driving 180 miles at Hungaroring or Magny Cours.

F1 is much, much saver than NASCAR. Just compare the recent death figures. I don't see a problem braking from 220 mph to 60 mph in a modern F1 car as far as the brakes are concerned. In F1 drivers can very much rely on their carbon brakes, more than drivers form low tech series like NASCAR.

another factor, in NASCAR there is no rain, thats more one factor that F1 drivers have of its advantage, in terms of skill.

So what if we have an F1 season without rain? Does the title count less then?

about JPM and Jeff Gordon, if im not mistaken, JPM was racing in Chip Ganassi yet, wasnt it?

he did race in 1999 and 2000 in the CART series for Chip Ganassi. This has got nothing to do with NASCAR. Recently Jeff Gordon and Montoya changed their cars.

and about my english, im sorry, i was born in a "non english language country".

Just like me.

Anyway, before we forget it, welcome to the forum ZOLL and enjoy your stay. :)

Post Edited (01-02-04 22:49)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 02, 2004 04:10PM
Posted by: Oleg
To answer the original question it's a racing series for a bunch of pseudo sedans with stiff axles and technology that is happily stuck in the 70's.

But somehow i find it very exciting,and i believe that i am able to appreciate the skill of those drivers.

Everything in the past is better than today.It's true,I read it on the internet.
Date: January 02, 2004 04:24PM
Posted by: USRacer
I think running side by side on an oval is harder than running a road circuit. think about it: when you are running side by side with someone, you really dont know what kind of movement theyre going to make. you dont know what theyre thinking. a road circuit never changes. the turns are going to be the same every lap.

as for the rain, nascar will run on the road courses in the rain. they have rain tires, it just hasnt rained in a long time on the road courses. the last time they used rain tires was in 97 during qualifying for the exhibition race at Suzuka.

Date: January 02, 2004 04:43PM
Posted by: Ellis

So? F1 has aids now. NASCAR drivers also fight agaisnt there own car. Around every single part of every track. The cars are banked to the left, meaning, to drive down a stright you must turn to the right, which is phyisally difficult for 500 laps of Daytona. The races are also longer, and in hotter temperatures.

since you obviously dont know what you are meaning i shall explain it

NASCAR runs fully flat on two ovals ONLY. these are SUPER speedways. They are Daytona and Talladega. They are fully flat at approx 200mph because the cars top speed is resricted otherwise they would reach 240mph speeds.

A SPEEDWAY is a track 1m or longer, which is not fully flat out. Sometime like, Phoenix for example. If these you DO need the brakes.

I would say NASCAR is more dangerous, given that you average 200mph round Daytona at full drafting speeds, 3 abrest with soild walls a meter away.

If it rains whilst NASCAR is at a Road Course, wet tyres are fitted, wind screen wipers are fitted and the track is floodlit where/if possible. NASCAR drivers DO drivein the rain.

Dale Earnhardt at Suzuka, in 1997.

If you expect drivers to drive ovals in the rain then you are going to have no finishers in the race. Running ovals in the rain is scuicidal.

And? What does this matter? JPM raced for Chip Gannis in CART before coming over to F1.

Jeff Gordon races NASCAR, and has done for along time. In one day he got within a second of JPMs times at Indy ROAD course. JPMs skill level ahs nothing to do with it, but the fact Jeff Gordon, a nascar driver got within 1 second of JPMs time in a day proves, beyond doubt, the skill these drivers have

Driving an oval is easy. Driving an oval fast is hard. Driving an oval fast, with other cars cm from your car is even harder. Driving an oval fast, with other cars cm from your car, for 250 laps round Daytona takes huge ammounts of skill

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy